Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 04 Jun 2010 (Friday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKII @ 1080p, What is the maximum total recording time of a single clip?

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2010 10:14 |  #1

Title says it all.

Also, I am experiencing a camera lock up problem with a 8GB Sandisk Ultra III CF card.
When I record a video @ 1080p, around 6 or 7mins into recording, it suddenly locks up to the point needing to remove the battery to reset the camera. And the video is lost.

Has anyone experienced such problem? If not, what is your CF card? If yes, have you resolved your issue? If so, what did you had to do?

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

sponsored links
ultimatemale
125 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2010 11:18 |  #2

the maximum total recording time of a single clip is 12 min before you hit the recording button again.

Ultimate dream
Canon 20D, Canon 5DII, 100mm macro, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 15mm fish eye, mp-e 65mm macro and 50mm 1.8

ralliart_04
260 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 04, 2010 11:22 |  #3

I have experienced the lock up (freezing) of 5D2. I tested it on both 8GB and 16GB Extreme III that I have. I guess it is the card issue. I emailed sandisk about it and now Im mailing them the 2 cards back for replacements. I will still try with my 8GB Extreme II. So far, I did not have problems recording a 6-minute video @ 24fps 1080p.

Canon 6D/ 7D2 / 50 F1.4 / 70-200 F2.8L IS II / / 135L / Fuji X-T1 / Fuji 23 F1.4 ; Flashes: 2 x Yongnuo 600
Feedback:https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17932199

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 04, 2010 14:31 |  #4

The bitrate will vary, so it depend on the complexity of the scene. For example, I just got back from a trip to San Diego and have clips from around the water that are 48 mbps, however, less complex clips come in at the mid 30 mbps range.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2010 15:58 |  #5

ultimateemale,
Thanks for the info. :)

ralliant,
Wow! Even on Extreme III cards it is locking up?
And how is Extreme II card recording okay?
I mean.. Extreme series cards are high end model of their CF cards.. and Extreme III is 2nd best they have..

RWatkins,
I have not thought about that. Thanks!

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 04, 2010 17:48 |  #6

Just curious, are your cards UDMA compliant? The reason I ask is that a rep from Canon (Tim Smith) stated during a presentation on the 5D mk II that they were seeing issues with video shot on non-UDMA cards.

I saw the video a while ago, so I don't recall exactly the issue, other than they were recommending UDMA cards for video

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 07, 2010 09:13 |  #7

To be honest with you, I am not sure if my card is UDMA.
Also I need to make correction to my previous statement.

I have Extreme III not Ultra III. And it is rated at 30MB/s.
So even with 48mbps with complex scene (I assume you are talking about bits not bytes), it should be more than enough.

I will have to do some research to see if my card is UDMA.
Thanks!

My Gears

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2010 09:39 |  #8

Pasukun wrote in post #10317198 (external link)
To be honest with you, I am not sure if my card is UDMA.
Also I need to make correction to my previous statement.

I have Extreme III not Ultra III. And it is rated at 30MB/s.
So even with 48mbps with complex scene (I assume you are talking about bits not bytes), it should be more than enough.

I will have to do some research to see if my card is UDMA.
Thanks!

It's not. The Extreme IV is the cheapest UDMA card that Sandisk makes. I use those and have no issues with video recording.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 07, 2010 09:45 |  #9

Well, there you go Pasukun! There is your answer!

Thanks Village_Idiot! (that just did not sound right.. lol)

My Gears

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 07, 2010 10:37 |  #10

Darn.. according to this announcement from Sandisk, any new edition of the Extreme III w/ 30MB/s is UDMA enabled..

Now what..?

http://kb.sandisk.com/​app/answers/detail/a_i​d/31 (external link)

My Gears

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2010 11:10 |  #11

Pasukun wrote in post #10317667 (external link)
Darn.. according to this announcement from Sandisk, any new edition of the Extreme III w/ 30MB/s is UDMA enabled..

Now what..?

http://kb.sandisk.com/​app/answers/detail/a_i​d/31 (external link)

http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1023&messag​e=27672838 (external link)

Weird that they would have that on their sits. The EX III is clearly not labeled as a UDMA card on the card itself.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eme_III_Compact​Flash.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_8GB_Extreme_IV​_UDMA.html (external link)

Using live chat to find the answer. Just waiting on a CSR.

Speedotron users, untie!

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2010 11:21 |  #12

Apparently no one is home.

Their site says the 20 mb/s EX III cards aren't UDMA enabled, but 30 mb/s cards are.

http://kb.sandisk.com …s/preview_detai​l/a_id/262 (external link)

Speedotron users, untie!

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 07, 2010 11:27 |  #13

I thought this had to do with the limitation of the file system (FAT32) used on the card (not the card itself, its speed, or capacity). The maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 gigs and that's why once you hit 4 gigs it "blows up".

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2010 11:35 |  #14

merlin2375 wrote in post #10317940 (external link)
I thought this had to do with the limitation of the file system (FAT32) used on the card (not the card itself, its speed, or capacity). The maximum file size on FAT32 is 4 gigs and that's why once you hit 4 gigs it "blows up".

There's the possibility of a total limit of under 30 minutes shooting time was influenced by this:
http://www.dvinfo.net …ned-recording-length.html (external link)

The limit for 1080p is the 4GB max file size, but sensor heat can cause your recording limit to drop. Canon's manuals show an automatic stop that happens when the sensor gets too hot. I've read that it's not necessarily the easiest thing to due, but it's possible.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links

10,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.