Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jun 2010 (Friday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKII @ 1080p, What is the maximum total recording time of a single clip?

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2010 11:09 |  #1

(I posted this on digital video section, but I will post here as well to get more feedback)

Title says it all.

Also, I am experiencing a camera lock up problem with a 8GB Sandisk Ultra III CF card.
When I record a video @ 1080p, around 6 or 7mins into recording, it suddenly locks up to the point needing to remove the battery to reset the camera. And the video is lost.

Has anyone experienced such problem? If not, what is your CF card? If yes, have you resolved your issue? If so, what did you had to do?

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

sponsored links
czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 04, 2010 11:30 |  #2

max size 4Gb or 10-15 mins of video.

what is the speed on your CF card? If you are using 133x card? it can be the buffer get filled up and need time to write to card. this will stop the video.
On display screen is there a bar on left side when video stops? this bar shows the buffer fill. give it few mins and see if it unfreezes.
You need a 30mb or faster card. I used an old CF card to test before. video will stop in 3 sec because buffer is full. I am using 400x about 60mb/s write card. the buffer bar wont even show up if you have fast CF card.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2010 11:38 |  #3

I have not noticed the buffer bar, I will have to look for that.
Thanks!

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

pfpeter
134 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 05, 2010 05:31 |  #4

As mentioned, the total file size for one clip is limited to 4GB due to the CF cards formatting is FAT32, and FAT 32 can not handle files larger than 4 GB.

Kind regards
Peter
Pictures on Flickrexternal link. | Gear List - "Noobs worry about Megapixels, Hobby-users worry about gear, Pro's worry about light"

Dereksalem
119 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2010 09:20 |  #5

This is the same for all video-recording models (T1i, T2i, 7D, 5D2, 1D4) because it's a limitation of using FAT32.

4Gb comes out to usually around 12min of video in 1080p/30 and 720p/60. You can get slightly more out of using 1080p/25 or 720p/50 but not very much. Works for me since youtube limits to 10min anyway unless you're a special account.

Pasukun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 07, 2010 09:15 |  #6

Czynot,

I did not see any bar on the left.
I assume that the bar shows up when buffer fills up without getting cleared fast enough?

My Gears

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 07, 2010 13:59 |  #7

what firmware are you running? try update the firmware. if problem still there? send in for service.

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2010 15:25 as a reply to  @ czynot's post |  #8

This happens to my Sandisk Ex III cards as well (I do see the buffer bar fill up before the freeze though). I think you can contact Sandisk and they will replace these cards, but I haven't tried contacting them myself.

I also use Lexar 300x cards, and have no problems with those.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

ALaS
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 07, 2010 15:26 |  #9

12 minutes is max. I heard this was to stop people from producing films..well making it much harder I guess.

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

sponsored links

1,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.