Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2010 (Monday) 01:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Equipment carry setup for weddings

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 07, 2010 01:44 |  #1

I'll be shooting my first weddings this year, but I am not sure how to move all my equipment with me. I'll have two bodies (soon), 24-70, 70-200, 17-40, 85, 50, 2 flashes. I can see keeping both bodies on me at all times with the 24-70 + 70-200 with the flashes mounted depending on the avail light and venue. I have a domke f-2, but I have a feeling I won't be able to carry all three (will probably have an assistant carrying the bag for me).

Anyhow, I wanted to know how you guys moved around and how the equipment runs with you.

Thanks!

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 07, 2010 06:25 |  #2

No problem. I have two bags that I pack three or four bodies and 4-6 lenses into, one large one small, but once i'm there the large bag is plenty since i'm carrying a lot of it. My assistant manages gear for me, checks everything off at the end of the night, very handy.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 07, 2010 06:50 |  #3

I like having lenses already mounted on three bodies. That, and I bring a lot of gear (probably more than I need) to every wedding so whatever I use, I need it to be deep; deeper than most conventional bags or backpacks. I used to use a large (suitcase sized) backpack from Amvona (long since discontinued) and an ApeCase 1400. I recently replaced those two bags and dropped the $'s on a Pelican 1624 and LOVE it. Not only does everything fit, I've already got the space for a fourth body w/lens mounted already planned out. Wheels and a long handle, super durable, easy to get gear in and out; there's a lot to like. Only down side is I guess this to weigh 60+ lbs. That and I wish there was a way to mount a tripod/umbrella holder (though my umbrella actually fits inside).

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 07, 2010 08:16 |  #4

Depends on personal preferences, but I find roller case allow me to carry more, and have things ready like Robert above.

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 07, 2010 08:56 |  #5

I still use a backpack and a basic carrying bag that will carry 3-4 lenses or 2 cameras with lenses attached. I am not efficient with my carrying, but I get the job done.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

Christian ­ Keenan
35 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2010 09:23 as a reply to  @ form's post |  #6

I use a Think Tank International (external link) for carting all of my gear and then a Boda Bag (external link) for three lenses/cards/batteries etc

For your extra info, I love my Think Tank bag and my Boda Bag is pretty good (but I have the original, v2 looks pretty good.

Christian Keenan - CKP Weddings (external link)
London Wedding Photographer (external link)|Jersey Wedding Photographer (external link)|Our Blog (external link)|Documentary Work (external link)|Facebook (external link)|Twitter (external link)|

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2010 09:33 as a reply to  @ Christian Keenan's post |  #7

Rolling luggage to carry all of my gear from A to B and a LowePro Sling Shot 200AW to carry a subset of my gear while I am shooting.

Sometimes I will attach a lens pouch on my belt. One that will fit my biggest lens, which would be the 70-200VR II. This way I can swap out lenses and know my other lenses will fit in the pouch without a problem. I usually only need 3 lenses at a time (for instance, 24-70, 70-200, 85) so the rest stays with the rolling luggage.

The only problem with the lens pouch is it drags down my pants b/c it uses my belt. :lol::o

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 07, 2010 13:11 |  #8

Hmm, I was thinking I could get a Domke F-1X since I like the Domke's but it seems like it would still get pretty packed with 2 bodies. I think I'll look into the Thinktanks...

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2010 22:37 as a reply to  @ Gometang's post |  #9

I use a Think Tank International V2.0 to lug my camera gear around. I have a large black rolling duffel bag to carry lightstands, lights, cables and any other think I will need. I have the Think Tank modular system, but I doubt I will use it. I do, however, have a small pack I carry around w/ extra cards, batteries, cleaning cloths and other nick knacks. I am looking at a large Pelican case for moving lighting to and fro.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 16, 2010 04:26 |  #10

I use a lowepro stealth reporter D300 to carry my gear around with me on the day. It fits my spare lenses, spare flash, cards, batteries and other miscellaneous bits and bobs.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

peterhanowell
41 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 07:11 |  #11

Wow, I'm with form on this one - simple has worked for me. Backpack (full) with gear is plenty for any shoot I have been on, though that does indeed mean that you won't have three lens-mounted bodies and three flashes and 5 additional lenses and...

Personal preference, I suppose.

Peter
--
http://www.hanowellpho​tography.com (external link)

Peter Hanowell -- Hanowell Photography
Florida Wedding Photographers
First Site (external link) | New Site (external link) | Blog (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 16, 2010 08:37 |  #12

I used to use a Thinktank Security roller bag that my wife/assistant dragged around for me. She got pregnant and I didn't want her lifting heavy stuff, so I switched to wearing a backpack around. I've gotten used to it and I think I prefer it to the heavy bag. I still have the roller in my car and at each point in the day I swap out the gear I think I need and put it into the backpack. So really, the backpack and the roller have both worked well for me.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 22, 2010 13:21 |  #13

i used the ThinkTank International v2 for all my gears. I also use the Boda V3 during the day w/ the lense i will need. I also have the Lowepro D300 Stealth Reporter <-- this is mainly for storing OCF gear to be use during the day.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Equipment carry setup for weddings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.