Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beware Those Little Sections of Space

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 09, 2010 15:50 |  #1

Following is a faithful recreation of some advice offered by a self-described professional photographer:

Do not delete files from your digital camera as you go. Download all of your images onto your computer and delete from there. When you delete files from the camera individually, you get rid of the pictures you don't like and you make more space on your card. But in doing this, you also "make space fragmented on the card." There are "little sections of space" remaining where you deleted a photo, and the card tries to fill in those spaces. This can cause card corruption.

So, is that sound advice, or is it just another of the 82,433,516 irksome, niggling, persnickety warnings of disaster that, if heeded, will turn photographic fun into a fathomless morass of anxiety and dread?

—Tedder

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 09, 2010 16:30 |  #2

It's probably sound advice, but may be just a little alarmist. I have, on occasion, deleted files in-camera during a shoot and haven't suffered any consequences because of it.

If you do it continuously and don't format the card periodically you may be headed for trouble. The accepted process is to format the card after each download, making sure the images transferred to your computer successfully before formatting the card.

John

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 09, 2010 16:33 |  #3

This is sound advice from a performance point of view but has little impact on data corruption.

Edited to add: I'd be more worried about deleting the wrong image or missing a good shot while chimping.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 09, 2010 16:34 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #4

With the low price of CF cards, this is something that concerns me not at all...delete from the computer.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 09, 2010 16:46 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #5

that is sound advice. I usually transfer files to pc then delete them.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2010 16:46 |  #6

I do it all the time, have done it for years, no card failures.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2010 16:49 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

i do it all the time too

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,595 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2010 16:51 |  #8

Once I've downloaded all my pictures (with a card reader), I format the card in the camera. (imagined) problem solved!

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 09, 2010 17:10 |  #9

Tedder wrote in post #10333072 (external link)
So, is that sound advice, or is it just another of the 82,433,516 irksome, niggling, persnickety warnings of disaster that, if heeded, will turn photographic fun into a fathomless morass of anxiety and dread?

—Tedder

no,no, not the fathomless morass of anxiety and dread!
I rarely fill a card, so I rarelydelete in the field. if there is any chance of filling a card, I bring 4 or 5 with me, then I run out of batteries-DOH! I have done it on ocasion-never a problem, but I probably did make fragmented memory space that formatted out just fine, whew!

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 09, 2010 17:26 |  #10

Fearmongering...

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 09, 2010 17:57 |  #11

All of the above.
Just format the card every time you put it back in.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 09, 2010 18:12 |  #12

philwillmedia wrote in post #10333763 (external link)
All of the above.
Just format the card every time you put it back in.

That's what I do, and it is definitely a good idea!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 09, 2010 19:25 |  #13

I prefer to delete pics as I go along instead of dumping EVERY shot I took on my computer and going from there. I've shot professionally (news, real estate, weddings, etc) as well as for fun for years and years...I've NEVER had a card corrupt on me.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

DazJW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2010 03:33 |  #14

It does exactly the same when you delete them on a PC, though granted you've got all your photos by then.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 10, 2010 11:21 |  #15

DazJW wrote in post #10336163 (external link)
It does exactly the same when you delete them on a PC, though granted you've got all your photos by then.

More to the point, it does exactly the same thing when you delete files on your computer hard drive or pretty much any other mass storage device.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

3,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beware Those Little Sections of Space
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.