Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Epson print out darker image

czynot
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 10, 2010 11:13 |  #1

I have a epson R580 all in one photo printer running on PC. The pc, monitor and printer is calibrated with colormunki.
Color management is set to "photoshop manage color, Adobe RGB or SRGB (no difference), black point compersation enable.
When I print a photo? the printout is darker than the display picture.
I tested on epson 2200. also the print came out dark. Try all different settings and it is still dark.
Anyone have problem with epson prints? what are your setting.
thanks

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

sponsored links
TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 10, 2010 11:22 |  #2

I think you will find your monitor is to bright,

Dark prints monitor to bright and bright prints monitor to dark..;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

czynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 10, 2010 11:31 |  #3

No. the monitor is not set to 100% brightness. I think its around 60% brightness ( dont remember extra). it is calibrated to ambient light and to the printer. So the printout should be close but its off by 1-2stops.
On a calibrated system? this should not happen. What did I just pay 300.00 for calibrating device for?
Note: Before I print? I have print preview enable. The print preview is darker than the image on photoshop (side by side comparison on same display).

halitime
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 10, 2010 11:44 |  #4

I have the same issue with my R580 and now it prints faint horiz. lines about an inch apart.I 've tried
cleaning and alignment several times with no luck.I had to brighten every photo before printing and
now the line issue makes it useless for printing.

Gear List : 1D MK II n,Gripped XSi,70-200 f4,300 f4 IS,Canon 24-105 f4,35 f2 IS,EF 50 1.8 MK I,EF-S 10-22,Canon 1.4 II Extender,Canon 25mm Ext Tube,YN 468/460 II,RF 602's
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/halitime/sets/ (external link)

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 10, 2010 12:44 |  #5

I had the same problem with my 2880. If you go to print settings where you select the paper, there are 2 tabs Basic and Advanced. If you go to advanced you can adjust the brightness for your prints. I have mine set between 20 and 25. Hope this helps...

PS: I also let printer to handle color calibration.

czynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 10, 2010 13:27 |  #6

garys1 wrote in post #10338463 (external link)
I had the same problem with my 2880. If you go to print settings where you select the paper, there are 2 tabs Basic and Advanced. If you go to advanced you can adjust the brightness for your prints. I have mine set between 20 and 25. Hope this helps...

PS: I also let printer to handle color calibration.

I tried to use either management and it do not effect the brightness of the print. I will again try the printer brightness setting again. By doing adjusting brightness in printer that means I have to use printer color management. If I use photoshop color management? than i wont have this option.
Isn't it best to use photoshop to manage color and turn printer color management off.
If one are able to use photoshop to manage color than in printer advance setting enble brightness, you will be double managing color space.

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 10, 2010 13:38 |  #7

I've had more problems when I select Photoshop to handle color management. Since switching to letting printer handle color management, I've had less problems. I don't calibrate my monitor using calibration tools, I use the actual print to calibrate. I also have to take into account that the monitor is going to be brighter than the actual print. I usually use a pic of the white balance test card (the one that has various colors in squares) to calibrate. I've had better success this way.

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 10, 2010 13:42 |  #8

By the way, Epson's tech support sucks! There was a guy who was having problems trying to print on canvas on his 2880. He had several conversations with tech support and couldn't get it to work. I explained how I got it to work for me and he now has success even with cut sheet canvas. I had a problem when I switched from photo black to matte black and the paper options would not change. Epson's tech support could not resolve that problem.

czynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 10, 2010 14:21 |  #9

yes. I have better luck with my R580 when I use printer to color management. it is brighter using the printer software.
But as for the 2200? it make no difference what color management i use, the print is darker. I used up 10 sheet of photo paper and get nowhere.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 10, 2010 14:50 |  #10

czynot wrote in post #10337911 (external link)
Color management is set to "photoshop manage color, Adobe RGB or SRGB (no difference)

The second part is the problem: You should choose your printer profile.
Then again: Most common cause for "too dark prints" is "too bright screen".

Have a read in the link from my sig.

PSCS2/3:

IMAGE: http://www.getcolormanaged.com/images/Blog/Printing/PrintDialog.jpg

PSCS4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

czynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 11, 2010 08:19 |  #11

René Damkot wrote in post #10339139 (external link)
The second part is the problem: You should choose your printer profile.
Then again: Most common cause for "too dark prints" is "too bright screen".

Have a read in the link from my sig.

So I should choose 1) Photoshop manage color than 2) in printer setting "let printer manage color?

Looking at the picture above. Only difference i did was that I have "match print color, gamut warning and show paper white" checked.

I will to play with it tonight and post results.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 11, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ czynot's post |  #12

"So I should choose 1) Photoshop manage color than 2) in printer setting "let printer manage color"?

Yes. Even Epson admit that in their more advanced instructions, although I can imagine that they don't say this in the simplistic printing instructions packed with their printers.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 11, 2010 12:51 |  #13

My Dell LCD monitor is calibrated with ColorVision Spyder2. Using an Epson 1400 printer, I generally run a sample print that allows Photoshop to manage the colors. For some unknown reason, the colors don't quite match-up to what I see on the monitor. I run a second sample print and allow the printer to manage the colors; plus make minor adjustments and adjustment to brightness at +2. A final sample print made which is usually most acceptable. Then I make a batch run of prints.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 11, 2010 12:58 |  #14

Calibration is not the main issue with dark (or light) prints. Its the adjustment to the monitor luminance that is all important and not all calibration devices seem to help. A dark print is the classic sign of a monitor set too bright. Having to tweak settings in the printer driver is not a long term solution, it's trying to tell you something and you really should listen.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2010 15:16 |  #15

czynot wrote in post #10342970 (external link)
So I should choose 1) Photoshop manage color than 2) in printer setting "let printer manage color?

No. (If you mean "then" that is)

Set PS to manage color.
Below it, choose your correct printer profile (printer/paper/ink specific)
In the printer driver, switch color management OFF.

The resulting print should be very, very close to the softproof on screen.

Few links in the link from my sig.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

13,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
Epson print out darker image
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.