Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 12:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Band Promo - How to make it better?

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:19 |  #1

This shot is from my first time doing a band promo. I'm not really that fond of how they came out. I was using a very DIY light rig using 80w incandescant lights to the left and right.I've now got a couple of actual strobes and will be attempting to redo the shots with the band, as they're friends of mine.

What would you all reccomend be better about the shot?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 10, 2010 12:26 |  #2

I would for sure redo this one, better lighting, and the expressions on their faces need to change up?

Hows the weather? Maybe get outside and they will be a little more comfy? Better BG's..

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

JoeyBowman
847 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2010 12:32 |  #3

Flo wrote in post #10338352 (external link)
I would for sure redo this one, better lighting, and the expressions on their faces need to change up?

Hows the weather? Maybe get outside and they will be a little more comfy? Better BG's..

Thats what I was thinking, take them out side.

They look like "rough" guys (assuming a punk or hardcore band?) Find a nice grungy location and shoot them there.

Gear
My Website (external link),

TheAnt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:54 as a reply to  @ JoeyBowman's post |  #4

Yeah, they're a hardcore metal band. I have some ideas of places to take them, I'll get them to do it at the next shoot.

How do you guys power your lighting when shooting where you don't have access to wall outlets?

They wanted to do a photoshoot against a white backdrop to cut the white out and have them transparent against their myspace background.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 10, 2010 12:57 |  #5

TheAnt wrote in post #10338527 (external link)
Yeah, they're a hardcore metal band. I have some ideas of places to take them, I'll get them to do it at the next shoot.

How do you guys power your lighting when shooting where you don't have access to wall outlets?

They wanted to do a photoshoot against a white backdrop to cut the white out and have them transparent against their myspace background.

I dont know the answer to the first, I would think generator?

Second.no Cut $ Paste, it looks hokey and cheap. Use the natural surroundings;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

nonameowns
377 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 10, 2010 23:05 |  #6

it's utterly crap. RETAKE.

take them outside! find some background that fits their theme, their music. And trying to bring out the emotion from them.

good luck!

Proud owner of Canon EOS-1D Classic :cool:

JoeyBowman
847 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2010 23:26 |  #7

TheAnt wrote in post #10338527 (external link)

I would use the natural light, either shooting when its cloudy or putting them into shade. Or shoot at sunrise or sun set for some really dramatic lighting. You could also use your 430EX for fill light.

Gear
My Website (external link),

breathless
388 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2010 23:31 as a reply to  @ nonameowns's post |  #8

If you're not comfortable in a studio setting, an outdoor location may offer more options. You can find nice light outdoors, if you look. Once you find the location viable for the concept, let them be cool and play their part(i.e., you as the photographer can[and should] direct them and help them get there.) And, if that doesn't work, just trick out the final image :p

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Chris
Photographer, lover.
website (external link) | facebook (external link)

Lightworks ­ Imaging
Goldmember
1,525 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2010 23:41 |  #9

Just a thought - if this is a HARDCORE metal band, perhaps you should make them look like one. They look like the Jonas Brothers wimpy cousins. Get them in an abandoned factory, warehouse, or UNUSED railroad siding. Somewhere, anywhere but in front of that white WRINKLED sheet

Just the humble musings of a beginner...
Eric
Lightworks Imaging (external link)
MM (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,294 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 11, 2010 10:11 |  #10

They look like a bunch of high school kids who were just nailed for smoking in the bathroom. If that's what you were going for, you did a great job. If not...

To add to suggestions already made: They're a band? Where are their instruments? If they're a metal band, then you need dark, dangerous, and evil. This is far too overexposed and, well, heavenly.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

TheAnt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 11, 2010 21:55 |  #11

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be sure to try what everyone's saying out once we reschedule.

However, the area I live in is more of a colonial town. There's not much abandoned warehouses or factories around here. We have a lot of woods and that's about it.

akhtar
29 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 12, 2010 13:06 as a reply to  @ TheAnt's post |  #12

I think woods could work, find somewhere old and grungy, make sure they are in the shade and loosen them up a bit. Lighting needs improvement, and outside you wont really need any equipment.

Canon Rebel XT 350D -> Upgraded to Canon 5D MKII!

Dr ­ J
40 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2010 20:58 |  #13

bands eat up off camera flash...esp hardcore bands.

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 12, 2010 21:07 |  #14

Take them outside.
One of my favorite places to shoot is on top of parking garages at about 7pm (An hour before sunset).

Since you live in the woods, maybe an old beat up abandoned house/cabin?

bands eat up off camera flash...esp hardcore bands.

Amen to that!

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

sponsored links

1,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Band Promo - How to make it better?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.