Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 11 Jun 2010 (Friday) 06:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

ecka
525 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2010 12:50 |  #106

Thanks for the samples, 'alfeel'
Those look very nice to me, or at least as good as 85L output. We should ask 'phamster' to confirm that :D. Otherwise, it could be a very good post-processing that makes them shine.

Gear List ~(Size Matters!)~ flickr (external link)

sponsored links
phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 27, 2010 12:56 |  #107

yes.. all of my photos goes thru light room or photoshop.. so it is processed..

i am looking because my friends were talking they want a 85 Prime lens to use..

so i am looking at other solutions for my friends..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

alfeel
43 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2010 13:32 |  #108

ecka wrote in post #10987420 (external link)
Thanks for the samples, 'alfeel'
Those look very nice to me, or at least as good as 85L output. We should ask 'phamster' to confirm that :D. Otherwise, it could be a very good post-processing that makes them shine.

the first serie, only white balance and contrast/sharpening default in lightroom, the second one, i don't know..

ecka
525 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2010 13:59 |  #109

I'm somewhat on a budget, so I choose my lenses carefully. That's why I need some real user opinions to make the right choice without paying too much or buying something I probably don't need at all. I didn't get any of currently available 85 primes because of 4 reasons ... :rolleyes:
First - I'm new to DSLR world, no reason to hurry.
Second - new Sigma 85 was already on the horison when I started thinking of getting something in 85 range.
Third - any of the existing 85 primes are high contrast bokeh fringing factories :confused: so I was hoping that Sigma will make some improvements in that area.
Finally - I think that I need to get a FF body for 85mm and, at the moment, 50mm works well for me on a crop camera.

Gear List ~(Size Matters!)~ flickr (external link)

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 27, 2010 16:33 |  #110

Sigma's shooting his own tires...

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

cobra671
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 27, 2010 17:00 |  #111

I was going to get the canon, but I think I'll hold off until I see samples of this lens from forum members, rather than judge from the manufacturers samples. If it's anything like the new 50 they make, I may just splurge.

OWSIU
302 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2010 21:21 |  #112

alfeel wrote in post #10986333 (external link)
I registered only to bring u some sample shot (by Ola Harström), after pages of "no photos", here you can find some full res. shots wide open, using a 5DII:

http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …26632191_91e662​aaa3_o.jpg (external link)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …26626259_a9ec3a​e4b5_o.jpg (external link)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …26591267_d263c2​b1b9_o.jpg (external link)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …26637843_befbac​d1df_o.jpg (external link) (corner sharpness)

it seems pretty good to me, slightly worse than the Canon 85L and Nikon 85 but it costs a lot less!!! I hope you appreciate the samples! :)

Images are also in the Sigma 85mm pool. Looks like they were taken at Photokina. EXIF info shows most were taken with 5DII and lens wide open.

http://www.flickr.com …N21/pool/with/5​027205706/ (external link)

ChristopherChen
298 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 28, 2010 03:24 |  #113

I want one so bad...

They're taking way too long to release this though.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Sep 28, 2010 03:31 |  #114
bannedPermanent ban

Dean Rachwitz wrote in post #10449537 (external link)
Looking forward to seeing some samples myself, though I'll be buying the Nikon version. :cool:

Same here, wanna see how it is. :)

tkbslc wrote in post #10986820 (external link)
$900

Honestly these samples aren't really seeming much better than the 85mm f1.8 to me. That f2.8 beer bottle sample has all kinds of green CA in the bokeh, so you are just trading that for purple on the Canon.

Except the sigma goes all the way down to 1.4. :p

OK so I looked at some of the samples... looks good. I'll be getting one (after the 14-24 that is ;) ).

ChromeThunder
670 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 28, 2010 08:54 |  #115

I'm sold on the image quality, but I want to see some user reviews on focus speed, accuracy, etc before fully committing to this lens.

Canon 5D Mark II *Canon 1D Mark IV *EF 24-70 f/2.8 II * EF 28-135mm * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM * EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro * EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II * Speedlite 580EX II

Fotofanten
50 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 28, 2010 12:10 as a reply to  @ ChromeThunder's post |  #116

I agree. Looks even better than the Sigmalux 50 IMO. I will gladly sell mine and buy the 85 instead as long as focusing performance is proven to be both accurate and consistent. For me, the importance of focusing speed shrivels into insignificance when compared to accuracy and consistency from frame to frame. Just look at the 85L. If Sigma hopes for this lens to be the tool of the professional then it must be reliable even without calibration.

flickr (external link)

alfeel
43 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2010 15:36 |  #117

OWSIU wrote in post #10990592 (external link)
Looks like they were taken at Photokina. EXIF info shows most were taken with 5DII and lens wide open.

yes I wrote that they ware taken with 5DII wide open @Photokina :)

cobra671 wrote in post #10988969 (external link)
I was going to get the canon, but I think I'll hold off until I see samples of this lens from forum members, rather than judge from the manufacturers samples. If it's anything like the new 50 they make, I may just splurge.

the shots in the first serie are not manufacturer samples!

however another sample, full res, 5dII, wide open, low light (iso 3200)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …32389709_88f6ce​20cd_o.jpg (external link)

cobra671
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 28, 2010 16:45 |  #118

alfeel wrote in post #10995578 (external link)
yes I wrote that they ware taken with 5DII wide open @Photokina :)

the shots in the first serie are not manufacturer samples!

however another sample, full res, 5dII, wide open, low light (iso 3200)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …32389709_88f6ce​20cd_o.jpg (external link)

I will wait for shots from forum members who actually own the lens, is what I meant to express.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 28, 2010 21:45 |  #119

The IQ looks fantastic - definitely comparable to the 85L. Maybe a tiny bit less sharp at f/1.4, but the bokeh looks even smoother (I wonder if it exhibits the 'chopped circles' phenomenon on OOF highlights at wide apertures, like the 85L. Definitely less purple fringing - the green fringing is much easier to correct for without affecting IQ (desaturating wide purple fringes to wide grey fringes isn't exactly great for IQ...). Of course, these comparisons are hard to judge on shots taken of different subjects under different lighting by different people, using different settings - we'll have to wait for the final release for that. And, at more normal shooting apertures of f/2 or so, I'd predict the two lenses to be basically indistinguishable in IQ.

The trump card is, of course, AF accuracy and speed - it'd be hard to be slower than the 85L, but Sigma would be putting *so* much more pressure on Canon and Nikon if *all* their lenses focused accurately and consistently on all bodies - how often do you hear people discounting optically-excellent Sigma lenses due to AF issues, whether real or perceived? Sigmalux, anyone? IQ and price-wise, it should have consigned the 50L and Zeiss Planar 50 (not MP 50ZE) to the scrapheap...

Hopefully this 'delay' by Sigma is in order to fix any remaining issues, to ensure accurate AF and fine-tune opticzl design for ultimate sharpness and lack of CA/LoCA. I certainly wouldn't complain about the wait if the final prodict focuses accurately and has the IQ of a 200L...

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Sep 28, 2010 21:56 |  #120
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #10997646 (external link)
(I wonder if it exhibits the 'chopped circles' phenomenon on OOF highlights at wide apertures, like the 85L.

This 1.4 sample (posted before)
http://farm5.static.fl​ickr.com …26632191_91e662​aaa3_o.jpg (external link)

Seems to have that phenomenon (though not too bad... and it COULD be the angle/shape of the lights).

how often do you hear people discounting optically-excellent Sigma lenses due to AF issues, whether real or perceived? Sigmalux, anyone?

Yeah I discounted the Sigma back when I wanted it for my 5D (which doesn't have micro adjust). I tried a bunch in the shop and none of them focuses right. I didn't want the hassle of HAVING to get my lens adjusted at Sigma...

But now I've got one for my D3s. After some micro adjust it works perfectly. No focus shifting etc. it's a GREAT lens and is making me want the 85 1.4 (bokeh!!!). :)

Hopefully this 'delay' by Sigma is in order to fix any remaining issues, to ensure accurate AF and fine-tune opticzl design for ultimate sharpness and lack of CA/LoCA.

Totally agree. Hopefully they're doing some QQ this time. :lol:

I certainly wouldn't complain about the wait if the final prodict focuses accurately and has the IQ of a 200L...

LOL yeah.

sponsored links

2,597,463 views & 435 likes for this thread
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.