Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 12:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switched Batteries, Corrupted Files

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 12, 2010 12:12 |  #1

I was shooting my wife's graduation ceremony last night (Master's in Urban Planning). Of course, as she approached the stage, my battery started to go. I took 5 or 6 snaps of her, then ran over to my bag to grab my other battery. It took long enough to walk over and fish it out of my bag that I assumed all the images had written to my card. I didn't turn off my camera, and swapped the batteries (1Ds mark 1).

I look this morning, and all the images I took before the battery swap are corrupted. Awesome. I'm recovering now, using PhotoRec (opensource, very cool http://www.cgsecurity.​org/wiki/PhotoRec (external link))

So it looks like everything but the snaps of my wife can be salvaged. That seriously sucks. Sort of an expensive lesson learned.

On a lighter note, I rented the 200mm f/2 IS for the ceremony. What an amazing lens. And the comments were hilarious; I had at least 3 strangers talk to me about the lens. If you're going to use it, I recommend a monopod. Mine was too wobbly, so I had to hand-hold. It worked out, but a really sturdy monopod would have been preferable.

So the morals of this story are: use good batteries, don't swap before the camera is turned off, and don't swap before you're dead sure that the images you've just taken are fully written. Especially when those images cost you $80k in tuition.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 12, 2010 12:17 |  #2

Congrats to your wife. Ouch, sorry to hear about the corrupted files!

Turning it off will display the number it still has to write via the top LCD so it is a good idea to do so. You can also look for the red light.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 17, 2010 02:47 |  #3

Thanks for the post. It sure helped me out last weekend. It was my niece's wedding. Took almost 500+ shots. Then I noticed when I was previewing it, that only a portion of the images was being displayed. I took my laptop to check the CF card an what I saw was a bunch of folders. the names of the folders were in extended ASCII chars. And when I mouse-over to the folders it says empty. Thanks to your link, I was able to salvage my files.

btw, I was using a 16Gb Kingston 133x Elite-Pro. Which I think will become a backup card. I don't think I will buy anything bigger than a 4GB in the future.

Looking back, it wasn't a battery swap that caused my mishap. The card just decided to fail for no reason. Maybe I need to format more often...

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 18, 2010 01:59 |  #4

Glad it helped. I also recommend ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery). http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm (external link)

The image recovery tools of ZAR are free to use (but not the other parts of the program).

As for size of card, I think that makes no difference. I use 8 gig 233x Ridata cards, but thats because they are cheap and fast, no issues so far. I have used Kingston in the past, as well as Sandisk.

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

winnipegk5
33 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 09, 2011 23:18 |  #5

The ZAR program worked for me tonight. Had a Lexar Platinum II that showed as corrupt and unreadable no matter what I tried. The posted program worked like a dream. All 764 pictures from part of my weekend road trip were recovered :) Thanks

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
Switched Batteries, Corrupted Files
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.