Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 13 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 05:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you Crop your portraits ? Advice please

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 13, 2010 05:08 |  #1

I have been trying to take portraits and was wondering if you fill the frame or go for a crop afterwards. I am finding that I have a lot of soft focusing too.
I was wondering if I should use a tripod, but get stuck with focusing on the eyes, has anyone got any advice?
Thanks

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links
grewbek
243 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 13, 2010 06:00 |  #2

I personally always shoot a little wide, which gives more flexibility when cropping for different sizes and straightening the image. Not too wide, just a little. Not everyone does though so its really a personal preference.

Most people can't shoot in available light at less than 1/60 handholding, and many people can't shoot that. The general rule is that your shutter speed should be equal or greater to your focal length for sharp pics.

Absolutely try a tripod, as that may help with your soft focusing issues. I don't see getting stuck focusing on the eyes as a problem? Most people (including me) always want the focus point on the eyes so they are sharp.

Flickr (external link)

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 13, 2010 06:49 |  #3

+1 on grewbek's post. Much of what you think is poor focusing could be just camera shake. A tripod is indispensable for me. It's also much easier to manually focus with your camera on a tripod, since you can concentrate on that and not on holding the camera still.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 13, 2010 07:03 |  #4

Hi
Thanks for that. I am also thinking about remote trigger as a test. I will try that and let you know.

I know what you mean as I use the multiplication method for my speed, just get annoyed when you see so many great photos at low speed.

Simon

Body | Canon 6D |

Highlight_Photography
874 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 13, 2010 07:18 |  #5

I always shoot wide. I took a quick example

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Regards,
Cameron

Website (external link) - Gear List -
Facebook (external link) -  (external link)Flickr (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2010 10:37 |  #6

Agree with grewbek shoot just a little loose because the more you crop the more resolution you use, I try to squeeze as much resolution out of the sensor as possible. You never know when you are going to need to make a large print. If you are having trouble with soft focus due to low shutter speeds you can work on improving how you hold the camera and stand and even breathe. Check out this example http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk (external link) this is not the only way but is one way. As for a tripod it is great to have but you may find it a bit slow and restrictive if your model is moving around allot, you might want to check into a monopod as well.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2010 02:03 |  #7

I shoot about 75% loose and 25% tight w/o any room for cropping.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2010 02:56 |  #8

i shoot tight. i tend to longer lens in studio and try to stay further from the model. i crop my shots very seldom

ratempa
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 15, 2010 05:11 |  #9

I used to shoot very loose but have since changed. I shoot with the negative space already in mind. I find that by doing this It forces me to move my eyes around and get a better angle.

FaceBook (external link)
500px (external link)
InstaGram (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 15, 2010 05:30 |  #10

If for anything, depends how you are going to crop, later... 3:4, 2:3 or some non standard size. I tend to frame more loosely these days but will mix it up.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rsuslow
218 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 08:55 |  #11

In post processing, say in LR, is it wise to make a copy, and crop each photo to different ratios? This way when they are printed, it is more likely to meet the size of print wanted?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera." - Anonymous
My Tools
RSuslow Photography (external link)
RSuslow Photography on Flickr (external link)

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 15, 2010 12:57 as a reply to  @ Rsuslow's post |  #12

Thanks everybody, I just wanted to know so when using a tripod I don't have to worry too much that it is framed correct.
Simon

Body | Canon 6D |

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 17, 2010 10:44 |  #13

ukcyberboy for me it depends on the final usage of the image. A lot of times I will end up cropping the image becasue the final usage will be as a 4x5, 6x6 ect. Having said that though I shoot each image with the crop in mind. I do not want to be to tight or to loose for a specific image to work for the crop required. During a 3 look shoot I will generally shoot a series of tight headshots, loose headshots, 3/4 and full length shots. Each set up and look is specifically designed for an intended layout.

Shooting with a tripod is an excellent idea. It allows you to free up your hands and to get your face away from the camera and interact with the subject. Framing is still important. You do not want to have a full length portrait and then crop it to be a headshot, because you will loose a lot of quality.

Tlee05
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 24, 2010 20:31 as a reply to  @ Bumgardnern's post |  #14

I hardly ever crop unless a few pixels here or there but other than that no, unless it needs to be fitted to a A size paper, I want the best image I can get, If I know what I want in camera don't need to crop in the PP.

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer."
"Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet"

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 26, 2010 23:07 as a reply to  @ Tlee05's post |  #15

I agree with bohdank. You many not want to keep the ratio of the sensor. So you have to leave extra space here or there to prepare for the change.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

sponsored links

5,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you Crop your portraits ? Advice please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.