Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Utility on windows 7 64.

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 13, 2010 18:29 |  #1

Hi guys.

Is it normal that my EOS utility operates so freaking slow when moving on the menus, displaying options, changing things?! .. for example, when im about to import photos from the Camera to the PC, I have to wait tons till the BROWSE option is displayed for browsing the desired folder.. so as changing tabs =(! ..

is it me only?!

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 13, 2010 18:29 |  #2

BTW, picture transfer speed is fast.

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2010 18:32 |  #3

Not really, the application seems to respond fast here and i run Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Perhaps it's your system that's messed up. Try cleaning it, uninstalling some crap and running CCleaner (free app, google it) then reinstall your EOS Utility and see if that helps.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

napolar
260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 13, 2010 19:25 |  #4

Agreed with Magnus, mine runs quite fast on my Win7 x64.

Art
5D MKIII
16 - 35 L 24 - 105 L
70 - 200 F4 L 100 - 400 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2010 20:26 as a reply to  @ napolar's post |  #5

Works fine on my Win7 x64 Ultimate.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

pfpeter
134 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2010 03:07 |  #6

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #10356175 (external link)
Works fine on my Win7 x64 Ultimate.

+1 from me

Kind regards
Peter
Pictures on Flickrexternal link. | Gear List - "Noobs worry about Megapixels, Hobby-users worry about gear, Pro's worry about light"

oRGie
398 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 14, 2010 06:13 as a reply to  @ pfpeter's post |  #7

same here no probs, but I did download the right version from canon for 64b win7.. tbh its a while a ago and I dont remember if it was needed or whatever, I just did it as a matter of course, good practice etc.. have you checked canon for updates ?

oRGie - I am an EOS and the 7D was my idea :cool:
http://www.fluidr.com/​photos/orgie (external link)
EF70-200F4LIS - EF-S15-85IS - EF50 1.8II

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 14, 2010 07:09 |  #8

Works great here.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2010 08:49 |  #9

Shamir wrote in post #10355632 (external link)
Hi guys.

Is it normal that my EOS utility operates so freaking slow when moving on the menus, displaying options, changing things?! .. for example, when im about to import photos from the Camera to the PC, I have to wait tons till the BROWSE option is displayed for browsing the desired folder.. so as changing tabs =(! ..

is it me only?!

It sounds like it may be hanging while it's communicating with your camera, but that's just guess. Try a card reader for a quick and easy fix.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 08:58 |  #10

I use it on my laptop running Win 7 x64 with no issues. What's the specs of your computer?

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 14, 2010 09:03 |  #11

in related news I need to install the eos utility compatible with my 1d2, but I don't have the original disk and canon doesn't have an install package that isn't an update. Worst software policy EVER.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

andylepki
46 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 02, 2012 03:24 |  #12

spiralspirit wrote in post #10358699 (external link)
in related news I need to install the eos utility compatible with my 1d2, but I don't have the original disk and canon doesn't have an install package that isn't an update. Worst software policy EVER.

Agreed. The 3 Windows 7 Software downloads on Canon Gateway
http://www.canon.co.uk …aspx?type=downl​oad&page=1 (external link)
include 2 Zoom Browser updates and Picture Style Editor. Nothing about drivers for EOS utility...

Any ideas on how to get the Windows 7 version of EOS Utility?

Thanks, Andy

Edwin ­ Herdman
747 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 02, 2012 04:43 as a reply to  @ andylepki's post |  #13

Select the newest camera on the website and look at its download section. It may be the case that Canon's main purpose in not including older downloads was to ensure that no camera's download section would include a link to software that doesn't support it...but as far as I know only the oldest cameras might not be supported (I think that's the case for Nikon, anyway). It certainly looks like a sneaky way to promote upgrades even when your camera is still fine...

No idea what OP's issue might be. I would be very careful with CCleaner, it's got some settings that can do a fair amount of trouble without you knowing it. I've gone back and forth on whether its registry option is worth anything, and I'm back to feeling OK about running it without too much worry. I'm not sure what good that part does most of the time, though.

By the way, Piriform's Defraggler and Recuva are very helpful for photographers (and for people in general).

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 02, 2012 05:26 as a reply to  @ Edwin Herdman's post |  #14

How much RAM do you have?
How much is available when you open the EOS utility?
How much garbage is running in the background?

Card readers are not a fix all. I hate to see them always recommended as there can be problems with them as well.

If you haven't already, grab a free copy of Ad-aware and scan your system. It's free malware detection software and one of the best. If you have kids, you probably have malware.

Second, check what is starting up. Many start up programs eat up a ton of RAM and are really not needed.
1. click start
2. type "msconfig" (no quotes) in the search bar
3. go to "start up" tab

Anything you see that is crap, uncheck. If it looks funny, Google it. Anything that looks like a chipset utility or driver utility, leave checked. Anything that you need for special options such as a keyboard or audio, leave checked.

Don't worry, it will not screw up your system. It doesn't remove anything, it just keeps it from starting automagically. If you need something back, go back and check it.

I will second what Edwin said...be careful with CCCleaner. It can screw things up, especially if you don't know what you are doing or haven't backed up the registry before running it. I have seen it remove critical things which required a Windows repair. (not Windows OS files per se, but things that had hooks into Windows and caused problems when removed)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 02, 2012 06:10 |  #15

Works fine for me.

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Utility on windows 7 64.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.