Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Melissa - Natural Light

squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 14, 2010 16:00 |  #1

Photos from a shoot this past weekend, Shot in all natural light. Use of some reflectors.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/b.jpg (external link)

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/m-4.jpg (external link)

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/m-5.jpg (external link)

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/m-3.jpg (external link)

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/m-6.jpg (external link)

http://i778.photobucke​t.com/albums/yy69/squi​LLNRd/m-2.jpg (external link)

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

sponsored links
swjim
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 14, 2010 16:19 |  #2

The shadows are pretty harsh and it looks like you had to add quite a bit of fill in post. Some fill light or not shooting with the sun behind the model would have have made these better, IMO.

The model is pretty and looks like she had fun when shooting these, it would be great if you could get another session with her.

Jim

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 14, 2010 16:58 |  #3

What's with the overdone color/processing? I notice that more than the model, IMHO.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2010 19:58 |  #4

Ok to have sun behind...just get your exposure correct.
Would rather see good accurate color too.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

asianstutter
621 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 14, 2010 21:35 |  #5

would love to see non pp

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 2.8L | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS | Canon 17-40 4.0L | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 580ex II | Vivitar 285hv x2 | Phottix Strato II Trigger

flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 14, 2010 21:39 |  #6

Got to get this beauty in the right light....she has a lot of personality and it shows in the shots. Like that above posters suggested, get a reflector or a fill light.....shooting on an overcast day or in the shade will make it a lot easier.....get the white balance right too!

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 14, 2010 22:22 |  #7

i think your work is quite unique. I like your style a lot, but somehow the pics miss something, though....

hhuy

squiLL
THREAD ­ STARTER
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 14, 2010 22:50 |  #8

hmm kind of upsetting to see the criticism here, but it will only make me better in the long run, so thanks, I seriously appreciate it. C&C always helps me evolve. I am really trying to find a "style" that defines me, and trying to come up with methods of post that are original.

Ran these through numerous methods of PP, there is nothing wrong with the white balance, I wanted a vintage look and I ran it through a golden tint. Also, upped the exposure a bit to wash it out. The photos by the pool were all improv, we did those at the end of the day without a reflector, basically just messing around.

I shoot with her around once a month, she was a former Miss North Carolina runner up, and a really good friend of mine. Her personality really came out in the pool shoots bc she was comfortable and just started messing around.

thanks hhuy, I really am trying to define a style that is a little different. I agree its missing something, I just don't know what.. yet.

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 29, 2010 23:46 as a reply to  @ squiLL's post |  #9

Updates? :)

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

fnj
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 30, 2010 05:09 |  #10

Being a bit of a contrarian, I like the set. I can tell that you are going for a look. 3 and 5 really hit me. They're just a tick too washed out for my tastes. Your model is outstanding!

Fred's Gear: 50D gripped | 350D gripped | Nifty Fifty | Sigma 17-70mm | 70-200 f4L| 580EXII | 430EX II | reflectors| Other goofy bits and pieces

ReflektionsPhotography
363 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 30, 2010 05:28 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

The washed look seems to be in nowadays. I personally am not a big fan, but I don't dislike it. I know lots of people who like the style - most of them not on POTN. hahaha I'm guessing if you show these to almost anyone but a photographer, and they'll like 'em.

Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark IV, 580EX II x2, PW Flex TT1 & TT5s (x2), Canon 17-40L (for sale), 24-70L (for sale), 70-200L 2.8 mark ii, 135L, 100 usm macro, Sigma 50 1.4,. Software: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4. WTB: 16-35 2.8 ii, Sigma 85 1.4

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 09:36 |  #12

How about using desaturation instead of washing them out? That would be more true to the vintage look.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 30, 2010 09:52 |  #13

Agreed that I am not a fan of the processing on these...
That said, cudos for working outside the box. Sounds like you are not 100% of it either... Keep on keeping on!

You get to play with her once a month? Can I carry your gear?

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,002 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 30, 2010 09:55 |  #14

squiLL wrote in post #10363327 (external link)
hmm kind of upsetting to see the criticism here, but it will only make me better in the long run, so thanks, I seriously appreciate it. C&C always helps me evolve. I am really trying to find a "style" that defines me, and trying to come up with methods of post that are original.

Ran these through numerous methods of PP, there is nothing wrong with the white balance, I wanted a vintage look and I ran it through a golden tint. Also, upped the exposure a bit to wash it out. The photos by the pool were all improv, we did those at the end of the day without a reflector, basically just messing around.

I shoot with her around once a month, she was a former Miss North Carolina runner up, and a really good friend of mine. Her personality really came out in the pool shoots bc she was comfortable and just started messing around.

thanks hhuy, I really am trying to define a style that is a little different. I agree its missing something, I just don't know what.. yet.

Just my two cents, but post treatments like this are gimmicky. If you are trying to define yourself with something that is trendy and superficial, thats all people will see. You have some nice shots here, or ones that would be nice without the treatment, but honestly all people are going to see is the photoshop work. Define yourself by good solid work, with post that matches the images in a subtle way and you will be respected.

sponsored links

2,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Melissa - Natural Light
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.