Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 23:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there any where to setup a camera to take a picture when a flash is fired?

seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:21 |  #1

I would like to setup my camera to take a picture when a flash is fired. I want to take a picture when a flash (not under my control is fired). Is there a sensor that would trigger my shutter when a flash is seen?

sponsored links
-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2010 23:27 |  #2

Perhaps one of these…....... (external link)

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

seattle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:31 |  #3

Looks cool but would it be fast enough to catch a strobe flash?

-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2010 23:36 as a reply to  @ seattle1's post |  #4

I don't know, I bought one specifically for lightning last year and couldn't get the thing to stop snapping away without modifying it. It did not have a nice case like the ones listed now on Ebay, so that's the main reason why.

Maybe email one of the sellers there? I'm sure someone else here has seen something.

This guy has a test video here..

http://www.youtube.com …A&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 14, 2010 23:38 |  #5

seattle1 wrote in post #10363467 (external link)
I would like to setup my camera to take a picture when a flash is fired. I want to take a picture when a flash (not under my control is fired). Is there a sensor that would trigger my shutter when a flash is seen?

I do not believe this is possible if you are asking for the shutter to be tripped by some sort of slave that detects a flash firing. The reason is a combination of the short duration of most flash sources and the time it takes to get the first curtain fully across the film/sensor space.

You could, however, lock the shutter open in a darkened space and manually fire a flash unit (even more times than just once if you need the effect of multiple lights but only have one and the subject is not moving) while the shutter is open.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

seattle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:41 |  #6

SkipD wrote in post #10363547 (external link)
I do not believe this is possible if you are asking for the shutter to be tripped by some sort of slave that detects a flash firing. The reason is a combination of the short duration of most flash sources and the time it takes to get the first curtain fully across the film/sensor space.

You could, however, lock the shutter open in a darkened space and manually fire a flash unit (even more times than just once if you need the effect of multiple lights but only have one and the subject is not moving) while the shutter is open.

Thanks. I could get the shot at night and just use a very long shutter speed then and hope the flash fires. I have no control over when the flash fires though.

lkrms
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,558 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 14, 2010 23:42 |  #7

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it should be pretty easy to rig up an optical trigger to fire your camera, but allowing for the delay between triggering the camera and the shutter actually opening, the light will be long gone before your camera catches up.

Luke
Headshot photographer Sydney and Newcastle (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link)

lkrms
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,558 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 14, 2010 23:43 |  #8

Curious about the scenario ... ???

Luke
Headshot photographer Sydney and Newcastle (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link)

seattle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:44 |  #9

ofdphoto wrote in post #10363572 (external link)
Curious about the scenario ... ???

I thought is would be cool to setup my camera at an intersection and catch some cars getting caught by a red light camera and get the flash in the picture. I could try at night but it would be hard to know when the flash might fire.

-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2010 23:47 as a reply to  @ seattle1's post |  #10

Interesting scenario.. Your post prompted me to order a new trigger for my 7d. So I did place a "best offer". If I get it, I can test out the scenario at home with my xsi as the flash.

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 14, 2010 23:50 |  #11

Do the red light camera's in Seattle actually use a camera and flash?
I got a automated ticket in Fife Wa. and it was actually a video recording of the infraction:(

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

seattle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:54 |  #12

J Kacey wrote in post #10363603 (external link)
Do the red light camera's in Seattle actually use a camera and flash?
I got a automated ticket in Fife Wa. and it was actually a video recording of the infraction:(

The one near Redmond does. I saw it flash today as someone went though the light. I think it does both video and still.

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 14, 2010 23:59 |  #13

Cool
I think I will manufacture a license plate frame with a built in optical slave and flash.
Flare :lol:

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

seattle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 00:13 |  #14

J Kacey wrote in post #10363641 (external link)
Cool
I think I will manufacture a license plate frame with a built in optical slave and flash.

Cool idea!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 15, 2010 00:18 |  #15

J Kacey wrote in post #10363641 (external link)
Cool

I would think a scratched reflective cover would produce similar glare patterns. Like trying to flash through aquarium glass.

Probably the easiest solution is just not to push it on the yellow lights. Safer and no tickets (but no fun, right?)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

3,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there any where to setup a camera to take a picture when a flash is fired?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.