Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this normal? (dealing with caterers)

Cdeming
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 16, 2010 23:11 |  #1

I'm still new to wedding photography so I don't know the "protocol" on many things, so please bare with me here. :) I received the following email from a caterer today and would like to hear your thoughts:

Hi Chrissy,

I will be catering for Joe and Kelly's wedding this Saturday at the Rockford Art Museum and would like to talk with you about the event. I have worked with a lot of photographers in the past and have asked that they shoot a few extra shots of the food and bar for us. If you would be willing to do so and pass those pics to me I would appreciate it. Some photographers have charged me for the pictures some have not, that I would leave up to you. Please give me a call if get a chance and we can talk more.

Take care,

Is it normal to just "pass on" photos to caterers, florist, etc? Should I just send him a link to my gallery when the pictures are done and let him buy the ones that he wants?

Thanks so much! :)

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

sponsored links
RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 17, 2010 00:06 |  #2

This is quite common. Some photographers charge, others do it for free. It all depends on how much you need/value networking.

When I did wedding video a lot of photographers threw a few photos my way to use for the DVD artwork. All I had to do was ask.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 17, 2010 01:37 |  #3

I send other vendors digital images or prints for free, sometimes watermarked, sometimes not. You never know who's going to recommend you.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 17, 2010 01:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4

How can it hurt ?

how can it help you?

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

Shutter ­ Nutter
26 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 17, 2010 05:23 |  #5

Very normal. Networking is a great way of getting referrals. I always take a little time out (when appropriate) to talk to people like this. Be friendly, take a few stunning images and they'll be more likely to remember you and pass on your details.

http://www.weddingtale​sphotography.co.uk (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 17, 2010 07:13 |  #6

It's not only normal, it's desirable. Build the relationship, encourage her to use (and credit you for) those images, consider mutual links on your website, exchange business cards, etc.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 17, 2010 07:16 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I would charge but yeah I can see how its normal.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 17, 2010 07:28 |  #8

It's a good way to get your name out there. If you have a good relationship with other kinds of wedding services, it's the right thing to do. The B&G won't mind. This also keeps the caterers honest, as you have a record of what they provided.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 17, 2010 09:40 |  #9

Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone! :)

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2010 09:45 |  #10

caterers, djs, and the people in charge of venue bookings are your best friends. :)

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 17, 2010 22:48 |  #11

From the engaged couple side:
They visit the photog, who asks who they are considering for baker.
Visit baker, baker has look book for ideas. Baker is quite happy on hearing Photog's name.
Visit caterer. Caterer has look books for rehearsal dinner and reception. Caterer is excited to find another new photog.
Visit florist. Yup another look book by season and bouquet style. Florist has heard good things about photog, but never dealt with him/her.
Engaged couple noticed how happy the other pros are with their choices- relief.
Ceremony venue and so on may also be quite happy for some comps with discreet logo, after the bride and groom receive their own prints.

All those look books need a photographer. Why not you?
All those pros are quite happy to recommend someone whose work they admire to the engaged couple.
Some couples enjoy buying the same prints as you'd give away to the vendors. They spent money on them, nice to see the still life feature.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 18, 2010 02:24 |  #12

photogs_spouse wrote in post #10382463 (external link)
From the engaged couple side:
They visit the photog, who asks who they are considering for baker.
Visit baker, baker has look book for ideas. Baker is quite happy on hearing Photog's name.
Visit caterer. Caterer has look books for rehearsal dinner and reception. Caterer is excited to find another new photog.
Visit florist. Yup another look book by season and bouquet style. Florist has heard good things about photog, but never dealt with him/her.
Engaged couple noticed how happy the other pros are with their choices- relief.
Ceremony venue and so on may also be quite happy for some comps with discreet logo, after the bride and groom receive their own prints.

All those look books need a photographer. Why not you?
All those pros are quite happy to recommend someone whose work they admire to the engaged couple.
Some couples enjoy buying the same prints as you'd give away to the vendors. They spent money on them, nice to see the still life feature.

The principal here is spot on, but if you're thinking of networking and prioritising a finite resource, look at it from the couple's perspective:
When the question is popped, they set a rough date for the wedding, then it's:

• Venue - from a shortlist of venues and availability they'll confirm a date - so getting recommendations from venues should be a no1 priority.
  • Dress shop - this is the brides MOST important purchase, unfortunately the dress shops business model means that they don't really need samples from us, but it doesn't hurt to build a relationship if you can.
  • Then the cake, photographer, cars etc are sought dependant on the individuals priorities and how much influence they took from the venue and recommendations from friends and relatives, some marketing to other vendors works but we're already down the list by now.
  • It depends on your market but in my experience caterers and DJs are generally part of the venues package and therefore barely likely to be a source of referrals - the couple will almost certainly not meet them until the day of the wedding.
In essence - yes it pays to network, you want your name on the lips of all other vendors - but not all vendors have equal influence and personal recommendations from all your couples should be a driver for your business.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 18, 2010 07:15 |  #13

Phil V wrote in post #10383329 (external link)
It depends on your market but in my experience caterers and DJs are generally part of the venues package and therefore barely likely to be a source of referrals - the couple will almost certainly not meet them until the day of the wedding.
In essence - yes it pays to network, you want your name on the lips of all other vendors - but not all vendors have equal influence and personal recommendations from all your couples should be a driver for your business.

must be market... a few venues around here have their own catering but seperate catering and DJs are more common than in house ones where I am at.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2010 10:19 |  #14

dynamitetony wrote in post #10377170 (external link)
How can it hurt ?

how can it help you?

Really give that a thought and answer those two questions. It's bookworthy.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

2,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this normal? (dealing with caterers)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.