Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 23:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d questions

musso
662 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 19, 2010 23:02 |  #1

i sent my 7d in for an AF repair. is it common practices by canon to shoot 6087 images on my camera before returning it to me? i have never reset the count in the camera and the card i use has not been in any other camera.

thank you
joe

sponsored links
JadedDjay
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 19, 2010 23:04 |  #2

anything interesting? jk your file numbering probably set to continuous and it just picked up where the previous numbering left off in the card that they used

just a guess

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 19, 2010 23:19 |  #3

i did not think about that so shouldn't my card reset it.

garycoleman
450 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 19, 2010 23:26 |  #4

when I sent my 7d in for AF problem, they shot ~100 pics each time

Canon 5D MKIII | Canon 60D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 580EX II

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 19, 2010 23:31 |  #5

i wouldn't mind 100 but 6087 that's a little excessive. im going to call them Monday and see what they say.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 19, 2010 23:52 |  #6

musso wrote in post #10393150 (external link)
i wouldn't mind 100 but 6087 that's a little excessive. im going to call them Monday and see what they say.

You might want to consider that it would hardly be possible for them to shoot that many images -- much less actually look at them. There are a number of possibilities that could account for the large jump in the image count. They may have temporarily changed the image numbering option as a part of their testing. Their CF cards get used in a number of cameras which could account for the change in the number of images. If it really bothers you, you can easily reset the count back to zero.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

JadedDjay
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 19, 2010 23:54 |  #7

musso wrote in post #10393106 (external link)
i did not think about that so shouldn't my card reset it.

not unless you manual reset it first... if they reset your camera then tested it with a different card then sent it to you, it doesnt matter what card you put in. do a factory reset and put the card back in where your files left off and im sure it will be the same again

to think that they did more than 6000 frames is just silly. who would waste their time doing that? its just not probable

musso
THREAD ­ STARTER
662 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 20, 2010 00:05 |  #8

i just want to know why it happened and if it was there card that did it then why my card wont bring it back. so every time i send my camera back for service or what ever i have to look forward to having my shutter count go up thousands of clicks. well i don't think it would be to hard for them to shoot that many images take a look at the first few and then the last few. but i do agree that it would be foolish to shoot that many to test. i am just curious as to why.

thank you
joe

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 20, 2010 00:23 |  #9

musso wrote in post #10393256 (external link)
i just want to know why it happened and if it was there card that did it then why my card wont bring it back.

The counter will never go backwards based on a card, but it will move forward. The whole point is to make sure that the same number is not used twice and moving the counter backwards could cause a number to be duplicated.

Imagine going to an event with 2 cards. You start off with a card that has been used for 400 shots and you take 200 shots, so you have fileneames IMG_0400 through IMG_0600. Now the card is getting close to full so you swap to the other card, and this other card has been used for 500 shots in the past. If the counter were moved back based on this new card and you took another 200 shots then you would have file names IMG_0500 through IMG_0700. Now you get home, fire up the computer, create a folder for the event and start downloading all of the images. The first card will download fine but once you start downloading the second card you will discover that filenames 0500 through 0600 have been used twice. If you are paying attention you will realise the problem, curse a little bit and create a new folder to hold the images from teh second card. If you are not paying attention you will overwrite the files from the first card and end up losing 3/4 of your images from the event.

This is why Canon does not move the counter back when you insert your old card.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 20, 2010 00:55 |  #10

i just want to know why it happened and if it was there card that did it then why my card wont bring it back. so every time i send my camera back for service or what ever i have to look forward to having my shutter count go up thousands of clicks. well i don't think it would be to hard for them to shoot that many images take a look at the first few and then the last few. but i do agree that it would be foolish to shoot that many to test. i am just curious as to why.

thank you
joe

I think that you just got a rational explanation of how it happened and also how to reset it back to where the count left off when you last used it (provided that you did not erase the card).

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 20, 2010 02:18 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #11

Have you seen Ferris Buehlers day off, the scene where he drops his dad's ferrari off at the parking garage.:lol:

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 20, 2010 02:59 |  #12

The answer is to change the camera to reset each time, insert a card with no shots on it. Take one shot, remove that card, then insert your normal card and it will carry on from the last number on that is on that card. Then reset the camera back to continuous count.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2010 03:28 |  #13

WTF...this dosen't sound right at all....

Trevor

Dereksalem
119 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 20, 2010 04:12 |  #14

thank you
joe

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with how many shutter actuations they used on your camera. It's purely a product of the CF card that was used. As has been said already numerous times they most likely put in a CF card that had images on it from a camera with a higher count. It transferred over to yours. There's no way to reverse it except to format the card and then reset your camera to default settings. Then it'll start over again (IMG_0001)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 20, 2010 07:02 |  #15

It sounds like they put in a card with a higher shutter count:

THIS thread (post #4) may help restore from where you left off.

It comes from a link in THIS other thread on POTN

Kev

sponsored links

2,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.