Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 23:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good single strobe kit for a noob

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 19, 2010 23:33 |  #1

Okay, in the near future (ie, when I can afford it) I would love to get a lighting kit. Seeing the beauty of doing stuff with a single strobe, I find myself second guessing the absolute need for getting a two light kit. So, to save money, and also to better learn to play with light -- single light kits are tempting me more and more.

So, my question is...what kit (with reasonable pricing) would be good?

I liked the D-Lite 4 2-light kit, but it's obviously a 2-light kit.
So, now, I'm tempted with the AB800 Beginner Bee kit.

But, would it be better to get the AB1600 kit? I hear things about some color shifting at lower power outputs, so that scares me a bit. Then again, it's not like I'm at time:money ratios at the moment for photography.

Help!!! :3

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 20, 2010 09:46 |  #2

You already have a good start with the 580. Now you just need to get a trigger and some reflectors or umbrella. The Canon ST-E2 transmitter for $229 from B&H will fire your 580 in slave mode, and as you add speedlites down the road, you now have a multiple light kit that you can take almost anywhere and set up in just a few minutes.

Umbrella kits with mounts, umbrellas, and stands can be had for about $100. An easy way to go with versatility and portability.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …te2&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Flash_Umbrella_​Mount.html (external link)

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 20, 2010 11:03 |  #3

Calumet Genesis 400 or 200. It uses an Elinchrom mount, so you can keep all your modifiers if you upgrade your lights later.

http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0514K/ (external link)
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K2/ (external link)

You can buy a B1600, but there's not that much point if you don't need that kind of power. I think if you do, you'll want two lights by then anyway, so a B800 will do fine for now.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2010 11:31 |  #4

Both of the above suggestions are good. While I am not usually a fan of the stobist approach if you already have a 580 you could get a bracket, stand, umbrella and a sync cord real cheap just to start out. If you think you are going to be doing most of your shooting on location I would go with this approach as you would not benefit from the modeling light on a proper strobe. If you are planning to shoot more indoors I would go for a proper strobe like the Genesis, the modeling light will be a huge help in learning how to control and feather light. As stated above the Genesis uses the Elinchrom mount so you can build accessories with confidence knowing you are buying into a system you will never really outgrow. No matter which direction you go I would try to budget in a light meter this will really help in learning to control light and ratios and produce repeatable results.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
THREAD ­ STARTER
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 20, 2010 11:38 |  #5

Thanks guys. A light meter is definitely in the cards. I was actually thinking about going strobist, but the allure of strobes kinda attracted me.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,285 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 20, 2010 12:47 |  #6

Occasionally...

Occasionally you can find good buys on used equipment from eBay sellers. As an example this two light White Lightning Ultra kit is at $159.50 right now with a bit over 3 hours to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​2a07d97400 (external link)

Of course, it might be bid up a lot higher in the last few moments...

However, with some patience, decent buys on quality equipment can be had on eBay. Paul C. Buff supports his White Lightning and other lines of equipment quite well. He still has manuals online and parts for his original White Lightning WL-5,000 and WL-10,000 units which are pretty ancient peces of gear but still work great.

I almost picked up this one, myself but, I really don't need it and decided to leave it for someone who does need it.

Regarding a light meter... they are great to have but, not absolutely essential. Shoot tethered and you can check youe exposure on a video monitor. If the units have fairly accurate modeling lights, you can judge the exposure and eyeball it. Getting used to your lights, you should be able to get within the ballpark on the first shot,,, I usually can, I have a meter but, don't always use it because I am so familiar with my lights.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

snakekid
373 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 20, 2010 14:03 |  #7

If your a hobbist your probably working alone and on location. I would just get one light and a battery.
I have the AB1600 i feel the power is uncomfortably close to what i need for 2 stops lower than the ambient mid day.

-Will
40d, tamron 17-50mm, 85mm 1.8. a ton of flashes and cybersyncs.

Zuazua
187 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 28, 2010 15:01 |  #8

Ah! I missed it:
Sold for US $282.77

:grin: Reuben E. Zuazua :grin:
Gear For Sale
Gear List

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2010 00:58 |  #9

Paolo.Leviste wrote in post #10393154 (external link)
Okay, in the near future (ie, when I can afford it) I would love to get a lighting kit. Seeing the beauty of doing stuff with a single strobe, I find myself second guessing the absolute need for getting a two light kit. So, to save money, and also to better learn to play with light -- single light kits are tempting me more and more.

So, my question is...what kit (with reasonable pricing) would be good?

I liked the D-Lite 4 2-light kit, but it's obviously a 2-light kit.
So, now, I'm tempted with the AB800 Beginner Bee kit.

But, would it be better to get the AB1600 kit? I hear things about some color shifting at lower power outputs, so that scares me a bit. Then again, it's not like I'm at time:money ratios at the moment for photography.

Help!!! :3

The biggest problem with any purchase of used monolight/pack and head/hot shoe strobe is the state of the capacitors most people don´t know that you have to give them regular maintenance, it could be an used Hensel, Profoto, AB, Elinchrom, WL, Nikon, Canon, Yongnuo, etc. They all need their capacitors to be maintained from time to time. I know many people who ended up with this kind of situations.

It may look like a bargain but there is not much of a guarantee over used Ebay stuff, if you are in a hurry at least use Adorama´s or B&H´s used depts they are reputable stores that at least offer a warranty (I think it is 30 or 60 days can´t remember now). But what I would recommend is to wait and save enough money to buy new gear.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 29, 2010 07:37 |  #10

eduardofrances wrote in post #10445338 (external link)
It may look like a bargain but there is not much of a guarantee over used Ebay stuff, if you are in a hurry at least use Adorama´s or B&H´s used depts they are reputable stores that at least offer a warranty (I think it is 30 or 60 days can´t remember now). ......

We do have 2 Ebay departments - one for new items and one for used.

All used items from Adorama come with a 14-day option to return them for refund or exchange, as well as a 90-day warranty.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2010 12:06 |  #11

There are threads here discussing the YK RF-602 triggers.
They are bout $50 on eBay and will give you manual control of your 580EXII.
That plus umbrella and stand along with a reflector is a good starting point. And affordable.

Here (external link) is a page on my tutorial site describing how I use speedlite(s), umbrella(s) and reflector to emulate north window light.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

2,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good single strobe kit for a noob
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.