Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 10:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lastolite Hot Shoe EZ Box vs Cheetah QBox?

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 21, 2010 10:33 |  #1

Please give me your opinions on these choices for a softbox for my 580EX II.
Lastolite Hot Shoe EZ Box vs. Cheetah QBox

Thanks a million in advance.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

sponsored links
Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,970 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2010 10:42 |  #2

I'd be interested in the answer to that too.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,114 posts
Gallery: 343 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2010 10:47 |  #3

Hey Mark... I can only vouch for the Lasolite EZBOX 24x24 softbox unit... Construction on the softbox and mounting bracket is very good... It also has dual diffuser panels for softer light distribution... Putting it together is easy, but collapsing it back to its original state can be a bit tedious, initially... After doing it a few times, it's no problem at all... Sample shot below mounted on a mini-boom:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4691417253_a07589e568_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4691416915_9fa559129e_b.jpg

Was there something specific you were looking for?

- airbutchie

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 21, 2010 10:54 |  #4

@Roy: We're definitely in the right place, Roy! Cheers!

@airbtutchie: Great photo of your EZBox setup on the mini-boom! Appreciate hearing your experience. Some have told me that the mounting hardware was a bit flimsy and that they'd replaced some screws from a hardware store as a result. Forgot where I read that. Glad to know you endorse it.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,114 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2010 11:05 |  #5

^ Ahhh... Yes... The imfamous "flimsy" mounting unit... If recollection is correct, the eBay knockoff version has that issue; it's a mini-ball-mounting unit... The Lasolite mounting unit is made out of thick, hard construction plastic... I have detailed pictures of it in my photobucket account, but I can't access that website here @ work... I'll post them up when I get home so you can visually see it... Anyhoo, I do endorse it... Although if you wanted to save some $$$, I hear the Cheetah Qbox is just as good... To bad they didn't have it when I bought my two softboxes several months ago... Nonetheless, it's a great investment in my book... Closeup pics forthcoming, Mark!!!

- airbutchie :)

edit: Looking at the Cheetah brand, they use the "mini-ball-mounting" unit... Hmmmmmm... FYI...

Hi. My name is Butch...

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 21, 2010 11:24 |  #6

airbutchie wrote in post #10400511 (external link)
^ Ahhh... Yes... The imfamous "flimsy" mounting unit... If recollection is correct, the eBay knockoff version has that issue; it's a mini-ball-mounting unit... The Lasolite mounting unit is made out of thick, hard construction plastic... I have detailed pictures of it in my photobucket account, but I can't access that website here @ work... I'll post them up when I get home so you can visually see it... Anyhoo, I do endorse it... Although if you wanted to save some $$$, I hear the Cheetah Qbox is just as good... To bad they didn't have it when I bought my two softboxes several months ago... Nonetheless, it's a great investment in my book... Closeup pics forthcoming, Mike!!!

edit: Looking at the Cheetah brand, they use the "mini-ball-mounting" unit... Hmmmmmm... FYI...

You da man, Mike - I really appreciate the great replies! I did just see your review on B+H Photo, too. :cool:

I am flirting with the Cheetah unit, too, so this helps. Or confuses, but I like getting the opinions! (Cheetah's Speed Pro kit looks pretty nice, too.)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,114 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2010 23:34 |  #7

As promised, Mark... Here's some closeups (labeled appropriately) of my EZYBOX 24x24 softbox...

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6685-labeled.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6687-labeled.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6692-labeled.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6702-labeled.jpg

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6708-labeled.jpg

Hope that helps some... Let me know if you have anymore questions...

Hi. My name is Butch...

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 21, 2010 23:41 as a reply to  @ airbutchie's post |  #8

Phenomenal, Mike. Thanks so very much for all the effort. Great shots.
You have me convinced! bw!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 21, 2010 23:58 |  #9

Most obvious difference, based on the pictures and looking at my QBox is that the LZ bracket does not have any tilt capability. The QBox has a ball socket between the flash mounting bracket and the light stand attachment.

Other than that they are basically identical. As are several of the eBay sourced boxes.

I have a QBox, as well as another similar box. Both have what I consider marginal mounting brackets. I also think the LZ box mounting is marginal.

I would find a cheap eBay box, buy it and then get an adapter for an S type monolight mount and the Cheetah, or similar flash bracket to S type mount. In the long run its a much more reliable mounting approach.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,467 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 21, 2010 23:59 |  #10

Nice shots. Quick question... how is this on location(outdoors) is the box secure to the mounting ring... can it handle a decent breeze?

Thanks in advance.
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,114 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2010 23:59 |  #11

^ You're welcome... Oh... And btw... My name is actually Butch... Hehhehehehe... ;)

Hi. My name is Butch...

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 22, 2010 02:12 |  #12

I have used 2 types of the ebay knockoffs, one without internal panel and the other one has. I am not a fan of their ball heads. They are IMO not strong enough! What I did with my second one is replaced the ball head with a umbrella swivel which is stronger and easier to control.

I shot with the first one in the desert and I had to asked an assitant to hold one edge of the box to stay put. The ball head just can't keep the box on its place. But that is an extreme situation I would supposed.

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2010 07:12 |  #13

@David, Hatch & Arnold: thanks for the great input, guys.

@Butch: no idea where I got "Mike" from - thought I'd seen it under your reply somewhere - must've had a brain lapse there, sorry. Thanks again for the great info & images.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,114 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 22, 2010 07:52 |  #14

dmward wrote in post #10404667 (external link)
Most obvious difference, based on the pictures and looking at my QBox is that the LZ bracket does not have any tilt capability. The QBox has a ball socket between the flash mounting bracket and the light stand attachment. I also think the LZ box mounting is marginal.

The tilt issue can easily be solved by a swivel bracket, as lukeap69 mentioned... If you look at my initial pictures (with the mini-boom) it has a swivel bracket... With regards to the Lasolite's mounting, it's definately more solid and stable than the QBox (or eBay knockoff) ball-head unit..

Hatch1921 wrote in post #10404671 (external link)
Nice shots. Quick question... how is this on location(outdoors) is the box secure to the mounting ring... can it handle a decent breeze? Thanks in advance. Hatch

I've taken two of these out on location shoots with a mild breeze (local park) and at the beach (stronger breeze) with good results... Just remember to bring sandbags for base support and stability...

- airbutchie

Hi. My name is Butch...

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,364 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 22, 2010 08:33 |  #15

Since cheetah doesn't include grids anymore I might be inclined to go for towards cheaper ebay knock offs.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

9,858 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lastolite Hot Shoe EZ Box vs Cheetah QBox?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.