Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 15:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Scam? If so, what's the catch?

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2010 15:08 |  #1

http://www.slrisland.c​om …RPID=977438411&​OVNDID=ND2 (external link)

Saw this ad yesterday (price was $599 for Father's Day).

I've called a place like this once before, and I couldn't get an honest answer about anything...other than whatever I wanted (no extras) was "out of stock".

Today, a lady answered the phone. I asked her if the body (and body only) was available at the price shown

She said "yes".

I asked if it included software, a battery, a charger, a Canon box, etc - She said it included everything that the body comes with from Canon in a sealed box.

Warranty? "One year with Canon USA".

Sounds too good to be true, but she didn't try to "up-sell" me. I asked if I could order the camera and she said I had to do it on-line (7-10 days before shipment even though it's in stock?).

I saw they also sell the 580EX II flash. But instead of $1000 LESS than the price on Amazon as is the case with the 7D, the flash was $100 MORE with these people.

Anyone have a feel for this...I know the expression "if it's too good to be true"....but I'd love to know exactly HOW this works.

I'd think that their advertised price is lower than the wholesale price a "normal" Canon dealership would pay.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever try (successfully or not) to buy from this web=site? Or any without some high pressure sales guy telling us that a Bower lens costs "a little more than the Canon lens usually included in the kit, but it's a better lens" :rolleyes::rolleyes: (and other such nonsense).

My one prior attempt a year or so ago with a place with "too good to believe" prices was when I saw a Canon 100-400 L zoom. The story I got on that was their $700 lens was the Asian version made by Canon, but not for export (even though it would be covered by Canon's warranty)....but the body was made of cardboard (I can just imagine Canon making an "L" lens out of cardboard). The metal lens was also super cheap, but would be "out of stock" for an indeterminate amount of time - possibly "forever".

....He didn't want me to buy a cheaply made cardboard lens (even though it was "made by Canon" as the advertisement said)...he would feel "guilty" taking the order, but he had a different lens (that I never hear of) that was better then the Canon "L" and was only a little bit more...something like $2000. (IIRC at that time the 100-400mm Canon was selling for around $1600 or so).

I understand what went on that time, but this site I posted above had no sales pitch at all.

What's wrong with this picture?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edit: Just noticed..scrolled down the page and saw 1GB CF memory cards for over $350!!! No name brand, just regular and "high speed"..Regular is $370, "high speed" $400  ??????? Looking further down on the CF prices, it gets even more strange!

Thanks,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 21, 2010 15:10 |  #2

You already know, so I won't add to it: I can't help myself :lol:

Buy from a reputable store, like Amazon or B&H. You're not gonna get something for less from the other joints, except the run-a-round and ripped-off in the long run.
After you deal with them, they send you the wrong item. You send it back, they claim they never received it, or you'll never get an RMA and time will expire. You'll be stuck. If you do windup buying from them, it will cost more.
They always bait and switch and get more than the actual value, because that's the game.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 21, 2010 15:11 |  #3

http://www.complaintsb​oard.com …slrislandcom-c337898.html (external link)

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/SLR_Isl​and (external link)

I think you have your answer.....

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 21, 2010 15:20 as a reply to  @ Addicted2EOS's post |  #4

I feel really bad for Asians. I would never accept a cardboard L lens myself. It must be a really tricky lens to MA after a hard rain. On the other hand, it's probably a lot lighter than the version we are getting outside Asia.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,893 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 21, 2010 15:23 |  #5

Looks like yet another name for the old ... "Hot Buys electronics.com"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

i_am_hydrogen
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 21, 2010 15:35 |  #6

Bait and switch. When you place an order for the camera, the vendor informs you that it doesn't come with various accessories that it normally comes with, i.e., battery, charger, etc. They jack the cost of those items up, forcing you to pay more for camera + accessories than you would've paid had you bought the camera from a legitimate business. And if you decline to purchase those accessories, they say your item is "backordered," and you never hear from them again. Bottom line: whenever something sounds to good to be true, it is.

flickr (external link) | Kevin

Canon 6D | Canon 5D II | Canon TS-E 17
L | Canon TS-E 24L | Canon TS-E 45 | Canon 135L | Canon 24-105 ISL

Delija
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2010 16:23 as a reply to  @ i_am_hydrogen's post |  #7

I agree with everything said, and never had any intention of sending them money - I was just curious enough to call to see what kind of story I'd get (obviously I was bored and looking for amusement). What surprised me was I specifically asked if a battery and charger, and software and wires, etc. was included and was assured they were. (not that they are incapable of lying! ;))

What threw me was that there was no sales person at all other than the woman I spoke with who told me that I couldn't order from her, but only on-line. So no "up-selling"...at least not to start with.

As for the Canon made cardboard "L" lens...LOL..yeah, just what I need....I'm not all that impressed with Canon suggesting I not use my 40D at over 85% humidity...I live in S. Florida, and if it's ever BELOW 85% humidity, we all shrivel up like slugs covered with salt! LOL -

But maybe in fairness I should give them the benefit of the doubt and buy a 1GB CF card for $400 and see how it goes! LOL

Thanks all....I guess there's no definite way of knowing in advance exactly HOW they'll scam a buyer (so many possible ways), but I guess it's just more than enough to know they will somehow.

Besides, if I'm going to get scammed, I may as well wait until I see a 1D Mk IV for or a 1Ds Mk III for $600....Might as well get beat on a camera I actually want. Or glass...always need more glass!! (excluding lenses made with cardboard).:D

Peace,
D.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2010 16:56 |  #8

This may sound harsh but if someone thinks they're going to get a 7D for $600-700 they deserve what they get. Simply punching this and other B&S artists in Google brings up hundreds of reasons not to fall for it.

Flickr (external link)

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 21, 2010 17:14 |  #9

Delija wrote in post #10402440 (external link)
I agree with everything said, and never had any intention of sending them money - I was just curious enough to call to see what kind of story I'd get (obviously I was bored and looking for amusement). What surprised me was I specifically asked if a battery and charger, and software and wires, etc. was included and was assured they were. (not that they are incapable of lying! ;))

What threw me was that there was no sales person at all other than the woman I spoke with who told me that I couldn't order from her, but only on-line. So no "up-selling"...at least not to start with.

As for the Canon made cardboard "L" lens...LOL..yeah, just what I need....I'm not all that impressed with Canon suggesting I not use my 40D at over 85% humidity...I live in S. Florida, and if it's ever BELOW 85% humidity, we all shrivel up like slugs covered with salt! LOL -

But maybe in fairness I should give them the benefit of the doubt and buy a 1GB CF card for $400 and see how it goes! LOL

Thanks all....I guess there's no definite way of knowing in advance exactly HOW they'll scam a buyer (so many possible ways), but I guess it's just more than enough to know they will somehow.

Besides, if I'm going to get scammed, I may as well wait until I see a 1D Mk IV for or a 1Ds Mk III for $600....Might as well get beat on a camera I actually want. Or glass...always need more glass!! (excluding lenses made with cardboard).:D

Peace,
D.

They get your credit card online and make charges to it, then they have the gaff in your posterior parts and yank on it until you bleed ;)

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

smacatl
Goldmember
1,567 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 21, 2010 17:22 |  #10

I think you'll get 100 responses advising against this.

Let us know if you decide to try it!!

I would avoid like the plague.

Smacatl

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

Delija
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2010 17:22 |  #11

drdiesel1 wrote in post #10402709 (external link)
They get your credit card online and make charges to it, then they have the gaff in your posterior parts and yank on it until you bleed ;)

What? With such a nice looking location? Can't be a scam...every time I go to Brooklyn I stop by and pick up a few pairs of shoes there - after all, as the sign says, that's their core business! True, the soles are cardboard and the uppers are plastic, but the prices are really very good!

;)

(location photo thanks to links provided by "Addicted2Eos")

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://donwiss.com …s/brooklynstore​s/0042.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2010 22:37 |  #12

They have CF cards that are SUPER CHEAP!!!

http://www.slrisland.c​om/products.asp?produc​t_id=10448 (external link)

1GB for 399.99, I might pick up 5 for that price.

But seriously, their prices are very sketchy. A Sigma 70-200 2.8 is the same price as a Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 21, 2010 22:59 |  #13

I sure hope you are smart enough to heed the advice given here. RUN don't walk and never look back.
There are millions of scammers out there doing things like this in all areas of sales. Such a shame!

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

Delija
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 22, 2010 02:09 |  #14

smacatl wrote in post #10402754 (external link)
I think you'll get 100 responses advising against this.

Let us know if you decide to try it!!

I would avoid like the plague.

Smacatl

QueenChatty wrote in post #10404441 (external link)
I sure hope you are smart enough to heed the advice given here. RUN don't walk and never look back.
There are millions of scammers out there doing things like this in all areas of sales. Such a shame!

So I shouldn't buy shoes there like I usually do when on Ave O in B'klyn?

Guess you guys didn't read the thread. I said right off it was a scam, I just wasn't sure what angle they played.

I WAS born yesterday, but not at night!

LOL

drdiesel1 wrote in post #10402709 (external link)
They get your credit card online and make charges to it, then they have the gaff in your posterior parts and yank on it until you bleed

Yeah....well, it's king of ironic - my "baby" (57 year old) brother is a high ranking FBI agent, and my father-in-law is a gangster (retired :) ) - So I worry about plenty of things, but never about being conned or threatened.

Peace
D.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,507 views & 0 likes for this thread, 10 members have posted to it.
Scam? If so, what's the catch?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.