Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:08 |  #31

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10406700 (external link)
I guess my question rather was whether they deducted standard shipping or a bit more like in case of OP here?

They deducted the exact rate super saver shipping cost. It sounds to me in this case that the discrepancy might be that the extra $2.30 was on top of the $5. So where it looks like it only cost $2.30 to ship it 3-5 business days, it might have actually been $7.30. Just speculating.

sponsored links
awdark
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:09 |  #32

volfan1978 wrote in post #10405766 (external link)
Amazon does this with their free "super saver shipping." I learned this the hard way myself. Since that time, if I'm not happy with the item I usually just sell it elsewhere to not have to take the hit on the shipping charge for the return.

I don't blame retailers for taking this stance. Some do, some don't. What it boils down to is where you want to give your money in the long run.

That's good to know! Most of the time I don't need to return things so I don't get to learn about this other side of it.

Anyways I did get a refund for the rest of it but that's a real lesson when it comes to buying things online. I expect money to be lost when I buy something and I pay for shipping, I expect money to be lost when there is a restocking fee, now I know free shipping will bite back as well.

Its a pity because that was a nice case and retail stores like best buy doesn't carry it.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:09 |  #33

tommibear202 wrote in post #10407295 (external link)
Helen,

Like the OP, I would also had assumed that Adorama would only subtract $2.30 because of the wording "standard shipping rate"... from the shipping calculator.

Maybe some wording needs to be modified to lessen confusion?

So, this is what we have now:

Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit.

Would it be OK to throw this open for suggestions?

shagaholik
478 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 22, 2010 13:28 |  #34

maybe add something to say, shipping and handling charges will be deducted from refund.

[Feedback]

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 22, 2010 13:32 |  #35

^^^This as it looks like you are going to deduct handling fee as well and this is what OP was asking later on.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:33 |  #36

shagaholik wrote in post #10407495 (external link)
maybe add something to say, shipping and handling charges will be deducted from refund.

Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned, will have shipping and handling charges deducted from refund or credit.

You're absolutely right; the key is the handling charge! So, I'll see if I can get this changed..... unless anyone else has another idea on this?

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:35 |  #37

I usually defend Adorama (and pretty much anyone) but this one makes no sense. Adorama should refund the full amount on his invoice less shipping. His invoice is 14, less shipping of 0 is a 14 dollar refund.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2010 13:40 |  #38

merlin2375 wrote in post #10407532 (external link)
I usually defend Adorama (and pretty much anyone) but this one makes no sense. Adorama should refund the full amount on his invoice less shipping. His invoice is 14, less shipping of 0 is a 14 dollar refund.

If it was defective we would, but it is stated on our website that the cost of shipping will not be refunded in the event of the return, and I've explained why.

And that is one policy that isn't going to change in the near future. It just isn't sound economic policy - and could only resuilt in either the withdrawal of free shipping altogether or higher prices.

MNGUYEN
445 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 14:29 |  #39

HelenOster wrote in post #10407562 (external link)
And that is one policy that isn't going to change in the near future. It just isn't sound economic policy - and could only resuilt in either the withdrawal of free shipping altogether or higher prices.

I agree with the underlined statement; at least there will be no hidden fees (at the point of purchase) which means no complaints.

5D/30D 35L 85L 135L 17-40L 24-105L 70-200L 4IS
Full Gear and Feedback

awdark
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2010 14:43 |  #40

Would it be possible to find out the value of the "handling fee" in the future?

I would want that type of information in order to make a better decision whether or not I want to return an item. Most sites are upfront about restocking fees but this is a handling fee, basically the same thing with a different name and I think it will be important to know. The current policy makes me assume the standard shipping and handling fee of only $2.30 will be deducted.

I wonder if I should have just marked it defective for not being the same as the other cases out there. It's a lot more snug than the medium thirsty cases, but I deemed it as within the margins of error of sewing.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2010 15:01 as a reply to  @ awdark's post |  #41

IIRC, the cost of shipping that is backed out of a refund for non-defective return shows up on the printed invoice that you receive with your order. I don't think it shows up when you are checking out on line however.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 22, 2010 15:12 |  #42

Here we go again!

Don't know about this one though. OP read that it fits on these boards and it didn't so it has nothing to do with Adorama really. I am tempted to say Amazon again, but even Amazon will charge you for the shipping if the return is due to you misunderstanding the specs of the product.

Maybe Adorama should include a link to POTN for customer service. :lol:

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2010 17:09 |  #43

merlin2375 wrote in post #10407532 (external link)

Why should Adorama (or any other retailer) foot the shipping when the customer made a mistake and the return wasn't defective or some fault of the retailer? In this case the customer should pay for the initial shipping IMO.

Flickr (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 22, 2010 22:17 |  #44

HelenOster wrote in post #10407562 (external link)
If it was defective we would, but it is stated on our website that the cost of shipping will not be refunded in the event of the return, and I've explained why.

Helen, I believe your statement is reasonable. Otherwise, many would buy equipment, use it, try it, reject it and return it for a full refund.

Don't Future Shop, Best Buy and Costco have this problem? There are so many open box items at those stores and on line.

DaveL
Toronto

Dave

shagaholik
478 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 22, 2010 22:19 |  #45

K6AZ wrote in post #10408797 (external link)
Why should Adorama (or any other retailer) foot the shipping when the customer made a mistake and the return wasn't defective or some fault of the retailer? In this case the customer should pay for the initial shipping IMO.

+1 well said

[Feedback]

sponsored links

7,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.