Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 21:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 02:30 |  #46

[QUOTE=2mnycars;104102​50]Helen, I believe your statement is reasonable. Otherwise, many would buy equipment, use it, try it, reject it and return it for a full refund.{/quote]

Indeed they do, and there is no doubt that on occasion Adorama’s liberal return policies are taken advantage of.

2mnycars wrote in post #10410250 (external link)
Don't Future Shop, Best Buy and Costco have this problem? There are so many open box items at those stores and on line.

I can't speak for other retailers, but at Adorama, opened or used items are returned to the manufacturer or distributor (for a partial credit), or sold through our used department.

That doesn't mean that there aren't occasional problems; the manufacturers and distributors who supply to Adorama, as well as to all other retailers, allow the return of unused / unopened items because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. in order to balance out our inventories.

Even though we aim to be completely thorough when packaging up and labelling items for return, there is no doubt that less scrupulous retailers could well be receiving returns, and packaging them up for return to the manufacturer or distributor (for a full credit). These items then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers.
If the manufacturers are not checking the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even when it isn’t their fault, as we can’t open and inspect the contents of the units we receive into the warehouse – or they become ‘open box’!

sponsored links
alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2010 06:54 |  #47

K6AZ wrote in post #10408797 (external link)
Why should Adorama (or any other retailer) foot the shipping when the customer made a mistake and the return wasn't defective or some fault of the retailer? In this case the customer should pay for the initial shipping IMO.

shagaholik wrote in post #10410260 (external link)
+1 well said

I think the issue later on was not that the shipping was deducted but rather how much because it wasn't standard shipping?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 07:19 |  #48

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10411766 (external link)
I think the issue later on was not that the shipping was deducted but rather how much because it wasn't standard shipping?

But it was the issue; the standard amount that it costs Adorama to ship an item of this size and weight to the OP's address.

We could argue the semantics forever and a day....when I can come up with exactly the right phrase to explain what we mean by standard shipping, it will be amended on the website.

However, this will have little effect unless the terms and conditions are
read.........

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2010 07:33 |  #49

HelenOster wrote in post #10411879 (external link)
But it was the issue; the standard amount that it costs Adorama to ship an item of this size and weight to the OP's address.

We could argue the semantics forever and a day....when I can come up with exactly the right phrase to explain what we mean by standard shipping, it will be amended on the website.

However, this will have little effect unless the terms and conditions are
read.........

I totally agree that if I bought something by mistake I should be responsible for shipping charges. Point here is if I read that return policy correctly (as it stands now) I wouldn't guess that you are going to deduct something more (which is handling fee) than the standard shipping fee as probably is done in case of Amazon. So change that on your website and at least people who read the return policy will not be complaining.

Gear List

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2010 07:37 |  #50

K6AZ wrote in post #10408797 (external link)
Why should Adorama (or any other retailer) foot the shipping when the customer made a mistake and the return wasn't defective or some fault of the retailer? In this case the customer should pay for the initial shipping IMO.

I agree with you, but when the initial shipping is listed as "FREE" then you can't go back and change it after the fact just because the customer wants to return it.

As far as I can tell, the customer paid the return shipping as he should have and isn't complaining about that.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 08:00 |  #51

merlin2375 wrote in post #10411964 (external link)
...when the initial shipping is listed as "FREE" then you can't go back and change it after the fact just because the customer wants to return it.

http://www.adorama.com​/catalog.tpl?op=FAQ#Ou​r (external link) Return Policy

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2010 08:09 |  #52

It'll be nice if you show your shipping and handling fee during the checkout (an print it on invoice) that will be waved when you buy but will be charged if you return it. May be it does happen I am not sure.

Gear List

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 23, 2010 08:13 |  #53

shipping is not just the cost of postage - its the cost of someone picking, boxing/packing the item, arranging the pickup, etc. It may not cost $5 in postage, but they also have to pay staff. It might only cost you $2.50 to ship an item, but only because you don't charge yourself a salary.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2010 08:14 |  #54

spiralspirit wrote in post #10412085 (external link)
shipping is not just the cost of postage - its the cost of someone picking, boxing/packing the item, arranging the pickup, etc. It may not cost $5 in postage, but they also have to pay staff. It might only cost you $2.50 to ship an item, but only because you don't charge yourself a salary.

This is what I am calling handling but if I don't know what that is how can I estimate?

Gear List

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2010 08:17 |  #55

With all due respect, I understand what your policy but it's out of the norm of online ordering. If it's shipped for free, it's shipped for free in my experience.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 08:18 |  #56

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10412096 (external link)
This is what I am calling handling but if I don't know what that is how can I estimate?

You could call our CS line or drop me an email before you return something?

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 23, 2010 08:48 |  #57

i know for my clothes like AE, bananarepublic, they include return shipping labels for free or is this completely different with camera gears?

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 09:13 |  #58

jeppoy wrote in post #10412262 (external link)
i know for my clothes like AE, bananarepublic, they include return shipping labels for free or is this completely different with camera gears?

We will send a pre-paid label - if an item is defective

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2010 09:14 |  #59

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10412061 (external link)
It'll be nice if you show your shipping and handling fee during the checkout (an print it on invoice) that will be waved when you buy but will be charged if you return it. May be it does happen I am not sure.

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10412096 (external link)

HelenOster wrote in post #10412118 (external link)
You could call our CS line or drop me an email before you return something?

May be I am not explaining it right. What I am saying is that "Handling fee" is hidden right now and it ONLY shows up when you decide something to return. The way policy stands right now this is going to be an issue. You can avoid it by showing "standard shipping and handling fee" during the checkout (and on invoice too) but wave it when a buyer buys something and he/she qualifies for free shipping. This way buyer will know exactly how much less to expect if they decide to return. If I give a call to CS right now and he says "shipping and handling fee is $5" although standard shipping is $2.30 that's not going to help me or anybody else even if I read policy properly.

Gear List

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 23, 2010 09:40 |  #60

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10412061 (external link)

We haven't done up 'til now, but we've just submitted it as a request to the web team to do so

sponsored links

7,456 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoyed at Adorama charging "free shipping" fees upon return
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.