Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jun 2010 (Monday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another thing to check when buying a used lens

CJSmith
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2010 22:08 |  #1

A couple of weeks ago I traded my 400mm 5.6 +cash for a 100-400mm with a guy on Craigslist. I did a lot of research before about tests to do on the lens and I did not see any problems with the lens. That weekend I wanted to try using the new lens to capture a bird with a pretty interesting call, so I flipped my 7D to video. After a few seconds the video stopped and the LCD displayed a message "Press STOP/START button to activate movie shooting." So I did that and it happened again any time I tried to shoot video with the 100-400mm.

I was with a friend that had a 100-400mm rented from LensRentals. I asked to try his and had no problem shooting video. When shooting stills, his image stabilization was much smoother than mine. When I tested the lens I bought, I thought that the IS was a bit wonky, but attributed it to the fact that it wouldn't be as good as my newer 70-200mm F4 IS. This made me think that there was something wrong with the IS. When I shot video with IS off there was no problem. As I tested it further, I found that when shooting stills, only with IS on, the camera would refocus (and reconfirm focus) every few seconds.

Long story short. I probably have a malfunctioning IS unit. I could have detected this if I had tried shooting video or live view (it happens in live view as well). So when you're buying used equipment I would add shooting in live view/video when testing a lens.

The seller refused to take the lens back. He claims that this is not really a problem and that I may have caused it in the day that I had it before I noticed it. I guess I understand this, but I still feel screwed because I traded him an absolutely perfect 400mm prime. He has offered to pay for half of the repair cost which helps lessen my frustration. Canon received the lens Friday and I'll let you know what they say about it. I hope that my story helps you when you are buying a used lens.

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
www.OutofChicago.com:external link The Chicago Photography Experience
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 22, 2010 02:38 |  #2

Ouch and thanks for the heads up. I hope your fixed lens will work flawlessly for the next 10 years :)

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 22, 2010 03:11 |  #3

Man, I hope it turns out for the best for you. At least he had a heart to offer to help compensate repair costs. I am picking up a used lens soon so I'll definitely give it the super detailed look over and shoot more than a few pics with it.

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2010 05:00 |  #4

That's one reason when looking at expensive lenses I tend to opt for buying a new one. I have found with quite a few of the lenses I have purchased that for the good quality ones second hand prices are quite strong and it's not much of a jump to pay the extra for a new one.

I know this doesn't completely negate the chances of getting a duffer, but if I do I have the warranty to fall back on to get it sorted.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 22, 2010 06:30 |  #5

Splitting half the repair bill sounds fair on the sellers part, IMO. He likely was unaware of any issues (or perhaps it doesn't happen on his camera?) so don't feel that you were screwed.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

MotoXPunk481
159 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 22, 2010 06:51 |  #6

Used lenses are a gamble. Sometimes you make out really good (like in his case with your perfect 400L), but other times you may get a dud. It's nice of him to cover half the cost of the repair though. Hopefully it will come back better than new!

(2X) Canon EOS 5DII | Canon EOS 5D w/ Grip | Canon EOS 40D w/ Grip | Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip | 16-35 2.8L II | (2X) 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L | 24 1.4L II | 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS | 100 2.8 macro | (3X) 580EX II

North Carolina Wedding Photography (external link)

Fernando.R
313 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 22, 2010 06:52 |  #7

Sorarse wrote in post #10405409 (external link)
That's one reason when looking at expensive lenses I tend to opt for buying a new one. I have found with quite a few of the lenses I have purchased that for the good quality ones second hand prices are quite strong and it's not much of a jump to pay the extra for a new one.

I know this doesn't completely negate the chances of getting a duffer, but if I do I have the warranty to fall back on to get it sorted.

I'm with you on this one. I always check out the used pages and then reconsider when a nightmare scenario like this pops into my head. The way I look at it, when buying used stuff you'll save money and there could be no problems whatsoever, BUT, you might also get hosed. If you buy new stuff, you'll spend more but at least you have some kind of safety net (warranty, etc.)

I hope it works out for ya :S

http://imith.redbubble​.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/fernandoros​enberg/ (external link)

Canon 450D | Canon 5D MkII | 28-70mm f/2.8L | 85mm f/1.8 [COLOR="Red"]| [COLOR="Black"] Voigtlander 40mm F2 | 580EX II |

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 22, 2010 07:02 |  #8

what about shooting with IS on and IS off? for those without live view or video.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

CJSmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 22, 2010 08:11 |  #9

When I say that I feel screwed, I don't mean that he screwed me. I don't think that he knew of the problem. I'm just frustrated that for the price I'll pay that I could have had a new lens and be using it now rather than wait for Canon to fix it. I have only bought cheaper lenses in the past from Craigslist. I bought the 400mm 5.6 new at the beginning of the year. But I wanted to move to the 100-400mm and I saw two posts on Craigslist. Wanting to buy a 400mm. Another said selling a 100-400mm. Didn't realize it was the same guy until he responded to both of my emails. Seemed to good to be true and I guess it was.

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
Flickrexternal link

CJSmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 22, 2010 08:14 |  #10

I just got the repair bill from Canon. They didn't really address what the problem was, they only restated my original concerns.

"WHEN THE "IS" IS ON, THE VIDEO STOPS AND A MESSAGE ASKING TO PUSH THE START STOP BUTTON TO RECORD VIDEO. FOCUS CONFIRMATION BEEPS EVERY FEW SECONDS. REFERENCE ONLINE COMMENTS. CHECK ALL FUNCTIONS, REPAIR TO GOOD WORKING ORDER. PLEASE RESPOND TO ESTIMATE. "

The estimate is $300 plus shipping. I'm assuming they will replace the IS.

I didn't mean for this to be a complaint session. I do hope that this helps others that may be buying a used lens.

Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another thing to check when buying a used lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.