Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 22 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 20:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This is not a troll

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 22, 2010 20:18 |  #1

Really, it's not :)

What I would like to understand is where asking for computer help for free on a forum like this is different from situations that you see with wedding togs complaining about people with cheap DSLR's muscling in on their business.

When is it acceptable to ask for something from a skilled individual for free?

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2010 20:53 |  #2

Jonathan wrote in post #10409672 (external link)
When is it acceptable to ask for something from a skilled individual for free?

Up until the point when they look irritated, the questions do not compromise them (business or personally) are ghost talking/listening or they look in a hurry ;)

This forum is filled with knowledgeable people though. There are national/international photographers, event (sports/wedding), still (food/art), newspaper, technical (manuals) and even videographers. I'm an IT professional for instance that does photography for a large school district (yearbooks and such), teach photography/videograph​y to kids (some of them have won awards even) and on my off time work freelance for two local news papers. Sure, there are a lot of amateurs here, heck, 90% of PotN members are probably weekend warriors. However, there's still a lot of knowledge here. Don't shrug it off to quickly.

Moppie
15,046 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 23, 2010 02:59 |  #3

I don't think I've ever meet an IT person who wasn't prepared to answer my questions because they thought that by sharing their knowledge I would somehow be able to muscle in on their business.
Generally they are working at a service level, so they want to help you understand because it helps them help you.
Or, they are coming from a sales/development level so they to help you understand so they better sell you the idea/software.

Generally you will find that most also understand there is a lot more to working in IT than just knowing some basic things about computers.
I know considerably more than the average person, but it is a fraction of what I would need to know to actually work in IT.

I frequently ask friends in IT all sorts of questions, on the odd occasion were there has been an exchange of information, or the supply of a knowledge that had the potential to add real value to my photography (i.e. make more money from it) then I've returned the favour with my photography.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 23, 2010 07:54 |  #4

I'm not an IT professional, but I do basic website, camera, and software tech support for a real estate company with nearly a thousand agents and employees. If I can contribute something from my 3 decades of experience I'm happy to try and help. If I'm out of my league with any computer help topic, I remain silent.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2010 14:49 |  #5

The only thing that bugs me as an IT professional is having people come up to you at work and ask questions about how to fix their computer at home.

I mean, I just spent almost a whole week after work screwing with a PC to get OS X on it and now I have to explain that the reason I can't wave my magic wand and make their home PC work is because it's 20 years old and Windows 3.1 doesn't support any modern software?

Spend some money and buy a new one!

What new computer?

I don't know? Any one you see at Best Buy or Dell or HP. Anything is better than the dinosaur you're attempting to use now.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 24, 2010 22:11 |  #6

Asking me for help here on a forum versus asking me for help while I'm in the middle of my daytime IT job are two totally different things. Here I'll offer advice willingly. But I'm not going to ignore my paying customers to help you with a problem. You have to consider the context of your request.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 27, 2010 02:25 |  #7

Jonathan wrote in post #10409672 (external link)
What I would like to understand is where asking for computer help for free on a forum like this is different from situations that you see with wedding togs complaining about people with cheap DSLR's muscling in on their business.

And yet there are probably a million posts on this forum from skilled photographers trying to help the newer guys.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 27, 2010 02:49 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #8

The difference is fairly obvious - here on the forum, you ask the question, and people may answer, or not answer as they see fit, and in their own time and when it suits them.

Asking a pro while on a job is interrupting him while he's clearly busy, and not really giving him the option to (politely) ignore you or refuse to answer.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

sponsored links

1,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
This is not a troll
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.