Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 23 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Software to assist in locating stars

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 23, 2010 16:29 |  #1

Hi, over he last year or two I rely on Stellarium to navigate the heavens.

http://www.stellarium.​org/ (external link)

Do you know of any other software that may do the job?

I know Microsoft has a product and Google as well that navigate the stars.

DRH

sponsored links
moonyguy
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 23, 2010 22:09 |  #2

Hi David

If you are looking for a planetarium program to learn the sky and locate objects there are plenty of free and paid software you can buy. I have personally used The Sky from software bisque but its expensive...my university paid for it...for free ones I would Cartes du Ciel. Its freeware and works in XP...not sure about Vista or Windows 7. Hope this is what you are looking for.
Here is the link: http://www.stargazing.​net/astropc/ (external link)
Vishnu

Vishnu Reddy, PhD
---------------

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 24, 2010 16:44 |  #3

No, not actually looking for something. I just wondered what other people in this forum are using: example:

http://www.worldwidete​lescope.org/Home.aspx (external link)

DRH

JATO
48 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 24, 2010 18:42 |  #4

David,
I also use TheSky6 Pro. The 2 reason's I do is because it is a very good piece of software (but rather costly) and my telescope mount requires it.

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 24, 2010 19:37 |  #5

I use Cartes du Ciel. It has the right balance between arty & nerd ( & price) for me. I wouldn't mind something that was a bit better suited to overlaying maps onto images. I seem to be doing that a bit these days and generally end up in Photoshop to do it.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

DonR
262 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 25, 2010 13:06 |  #6

I also use CdC, it gets the job done for me. In addition to providing the planetarium feature for visual location of objects, CdC will control Meade LX200 and Autostar telescopes, and any mount that has an ASCOM driver. I use it through ASCOM on Windows XP to control my Orion Atlas EQ-G.

Don

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 25, 2010 15:37 |  #7

Different software. Tonight I am surfing the heavens with World Wide Telescope. Don, I am so musch closer to my Orion. Must look at CdC.

DRH

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 01, 2010 15:25 |  #8

FYI

I looked for an update to World Wide Telescope and found this list of Apps in WikiPedia:

Aladin Sky Atlas
Celestia
Google Sky
KStars
SKY-MAP.ORG
Stellarium
Universe Sandbox

DRH

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 26, 2010 15:08 |  #9

No need to reply:

I found this: https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=8874419#p​ost8874419

Nice list

DRH

naivri
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2010 15:10 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #10

if you are about and about there is a nice app for the iphone called star walk

it uses the gps in the iphone to get your location and show accurate star charts

the killer part of this app in my humble opinion is that it uses the compass in the iphone to figure out what way you are pointing the iphone and shows the star chart like a live view. if you rotate yourself, it scrolls

really nice

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 28, 2010 02:43 |  #11

I was out camping with friends a few weeks back, and one of them had their iPhone out with that application on it. Very impressive. No more wondering, "What's that star ovr there? What's that constellation called?"...just hold the iPhone up and it tells you. (It's apps like that that make me want to go out and get an iPhone right now...nifty piece of kit.)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

MyLookingGlassEye
200 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2010 12:37 |  #12

Adrena1in wrote in post #10616648 (external link)
I was out camping with friends a few weeks back, and one of them had their iPhone out with that application on it. Very impressive. No more wondering, "What's that star ovr there? What's that constellation called?"...just hold the iPhone up and it tells you.

Almost like having a Celestron SkyScout in your cellphone.

My PhotoCenter :D :
Gripped 12DD2 ;)/5 bits of glass/dual triple tubes/Sig TCs,
2-580EXIIs/Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with 3 heads/Cool-lights/Soft box/reflectors/ExpoDis​c & filters galore/Epson R1900+CISS/Now CS5 powered! :p

Blazin
244 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 12, 2010 07:12 |  #13

In response to the Iphone App, the Droid capable phones come standard with Google Sky Map, not only does it identify stars/constellations, it allows you to search and then directs you where to point your phone to locate that star/constellation.

Nifty if you're setting up a shot ;)

my Gear || flickr (external link)|| ModelMayhem (external link) || EricDaleyPhoto (external link)http://www.modelmayhem​.com/EricDaleyPhoto (external link)

sponsored links

2,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
Software to assist in locating stars
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.