Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 24 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st Macro Photo post-Newbie needs advice!

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2010 13:44 |  #1

This is my first post of a macro photo and I need to know where to go from here to improve.

Ir was taken with a Canon 550D(T1i) at f/16 with a Raynox DCR-250 attachment(on a Canon 70-300IS at 70mm) and with flash.It seems to be about 1:1 as far as I can tell.It was cropped,but not a lot.I feel like it's OK,but not nearly as sharp and detailed as many posts I see.

Would the next step be a dedicated macro lens,or can this setup improve much as my technique gets better.

Thanks! Fred

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
GAJoe
368 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2010 21:26 |  #2

Fred,
I use the DCR-250 on my S5 IS a lot and have found that it gives a shallow field of focus. I have read many post on this and found several recommendations to get the DCR-150 also. It has less magnification but a deeper field of focus they say. If it doubles that may be 2mm instead of 1mm or 4mm in stead of 2mm. Most of my shots on insects and not so tiny subjects could use the deeper field of focus. I tried stacking images but have not been pleased with the results from all the work. I just got a DCR-150 today to give a try. My DCR-250 still has it's place though, see my "Dew Drops" post.

Also try a little "PP" to sharpen things up a touch. I have come to use Picnik.com quite a bit to make up for my deficiencies. I haven't had any formal "PP" training and never could get much done using Photoshop type softwares. Picnik comes so much easier to me. You can do a lot for free but my wife gets me the premium subscription as a gift each year as she sees how much pleasure I get from it.
For the image above I would use the "auto-fix" then a little "exposure" adjustment followed by a small amount of "sharpen". Then my secret is to go to "Create" "Effects" "HDR-ish" and almost totally fade out the effect 95+%. Then go to "Advanced" and "Levels" and just slightly shift to the right to get:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i9.photobucket.​com …3/GAJoe/IMG_066​3-1000.jpg (external link)

I think the "Levels" is the only premium option used. Give it a try, you might get hooked like me.
Hope this helps!
Joe

Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400L MkII, EF 1.4X III, EF-S 18-135mm STM, 430 EX II flash, DCR-150, DCR-250, MANFROTTO 055XPROB w/ 322RC Grip

GAJoe
368 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 24, 2010 21:55 |  #3

Maybe I over-did it a bit, but you get the idea? You can do what I did above but not as much.
Joe

Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400L MkII, EF 1.4X III, EF-S 18-135mm STM, 430 EX II flash, DCR-150, DCR-250, MANFROTTO 055XPROB w/ 322RC Grip

frule
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2010 22:05 |  #4

GAJoe wrote in post #10422494 (external link)
Maybe I over-did it a bit, but you get the idea? You can do what I did above but not as much.
Joe

Thanks,Joe.Your dew drops post is really nice.

I actually tried the DCR-150,but get the same effect by using a shorter focal length with the DCR-250....i.e..It increases DOF as well,but at less magnification.So I have to crop more.I end up with similar results either way.

I did sharpen the image,but it looks like I needed a good bit more.Yours looks more contrasty and saturated,too.I think an image half-way between yours and mine would be good.

Thanks! Fred

pinoyplaya
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2010 22:15 |  #5

Well... I can see that your subject is the insect with the flower background. I think the shot would have been much better if you took the shot and zoomed much more in the subject filling the frame.

To me, it appears as if the subject is the flower because of the multiple backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents. I have never tried doing a lot of macro shots, so I don't know a lot. :)

Here's a similar shot..... just look at how the subject fills the entire frame with only 1 background.

http://battlebunny.fil​es.wordpress.com/2009/​05/21.jpg (external link)

flickr (external link)Canon EOS 1D Mark III & WTB Canon 6D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580 EX II

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
61,093 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 25, 2010 00:15 |  #6

Shot looks good to me - especially for a first try.
slight shame the katydid (cricket) has it's face hidden in the flower.
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

GAJoe
368 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 25, 2010 03:54 as a reply to  @ GAJoe's post |  #7

frule wrote in post #10422566 (external link)
Yours looks more contrasty and saturated,too.I think an image half-way between yours and mine would be good.

Yes I agree.
There

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i9.photobucket.​com …/GAJoe/IMG_0663​-1000B.jpg (external link)

That's more like what I was after.

pinoyplaya wrote in post #10422627 (external link)
Well... I can see that your subject is the insect with the flower background. I think the shot would have been much better if you took the shot and zoomed much more in the subject filling the frame.

I like the composition of the shot just as it is.

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,076 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 25, 2010 07:02 |  #8

The shot looks good to me the way it is. Very nice shot.

Kurt
Malaysia & Borneo herping/macro tours:
http://www.orionherpad​venture.com (external link)

frule
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 25, 2010 07:27 |  #9

GAJoe
Yep....that's better!

Brian v.
I had a few more where the insect was in a better position,but this was in better focus.Thanks.

Fred

red_fan
329 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 25, 2010 09:58 |  #10

For a first go you did well. I would read Brian's excellent post https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=807056 that will give you a lot of information.

In macro photography, a shallow depth of field is something you just have to live with - even with dedicated macro lens you dont get a lot of DOF.

In terms of composition I think showing the flower here works for this insect - macro doesnt just have to be about filling the frame, showing the insect in its surroundings works just as well. As Brian mentioned getting the eyes in focus (and in the shot :-) ) is generally a must.

And with anything, practice makes perfect.

Stephen

To know the truth, you have to understand the lies - SA

Canon 7D | Canon 350D | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-70 | Tamron 18-270 | Canon 70-300 IS | Canon 100 IS | Sigma 105 | Sigma 150-500

sponsored links

1,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st Macro Photo post-Newbie needs advice!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.