Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Aug 2005 (Monday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #25 - wheels WINNERS

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 01, 2005 18:08 |  #1

The photos are here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=88117

It was hard to pick just three pictures for the winners. I forced myself to assign one picture to each place avoiding draws.

1st place:

Zero - Evolution of Travel – G6:

The reflected light shapes the ring and the spokes along with all the metal, in a way that you can feel the black tire over the black background. Great picture!

2nd place:

Boutty - Station wagon Mk I – G6:

The thick rusted metallic rings holding the old wood of the spokes and wheels are nice. Better yet is the texture of the wood enhanced by the contrast of the black and white image. Great shot!

3rd place:

teekay - Retired wheels – G1:

A splendid machine! You beautifully captured the color of old metal. The blue sky provides the contrast for the top while the shadow in the bottom enhances the wheels lit by the sun. Nice shot.

Special mention

HungryWriter - Spoked! – G6:

All the chromed metal shines surrounded by the rubber tire that shows all its detail outlined by reflections. The blue at right and the sharp focus in all the image except the far background contributes to a beautiful picture.

Other pictures commented in the order of post

txfirebug - Old Cart – G3:

Are they recycled to hold plants in a back yard? You said that those rusty wheels are things of the past by shooting them in sepia, very nice shot.

marie - big wheels for a little lady – G2:

The colors of the car pops-up over the wet road. The face of the young lady reflects the joy of having those powerful wheels. Lovely shot.

gewb - The Charlie Taylor Waterwheel – Pro1:

I think that water wheels are my favorite wheels. This huge one regains its ancient power protected by the trees. I can even hear the river. Great wheel, great shot.

4nR - Pimpin' Low Rider – G6:

I am not familiar with what those cars do while running, but with the shiny car on top and the dark flat shadow at the bottom you effectively make the main subject the wheels and tires. It is a great shot.

in Japan - Subway Parking – G6:

Nice perspective to describe how people solve some problems of cluttered cities. I am not sure if it is because of your name, but it is really Japan. Nice picture.

digidog - Wind catcher – G3:

The low horizon line, the grass road that directs your sight and the far line of trees make the building and the blades the main subject, despite of being small in the picture. The clouds and the black and white are nice added elements. I like your picture

BottomBracket - Wheelman's Dream – G6:

Good idea to think of the wall drawing as the raider’s dream. Or is he dreaming of a softer place?. Nice shot.

am_pitbull_terrier - Down On The Farm – G3:

You may think that the rusty machine (may I call it a rooter plow?) or the wooden construction are the main subjects, but the light reaching the right side of the tractor wheel in the shadow attracts nicely your attention. Nice picture.

Conclusion

It is great to have this collection of 12 images telling us the tale of wheels, from the tiny plastic tires of a toy to the slept tremendous power of the steam machine, passing trough the huge water wheel that once delivered power for the gold miners.

The country, the back yard and the farm are there marking the age on wooden spokes, rusted wheels or dark rubber tires left in the shadow.

The modern city shows the bikes resting while their owners are carried by the sheer speed of underground transport and a lonely city rider dreaming of softer and cleaner roads for his bike.

Fancy motorcycles and a car pushing its tires away from its chassis are reminders that transportation may still be a pleasure in this hurried world.

As a Spanish speaking person, I even got the four arms of the giant fighting with Don Quixote 400 years ago when his madness made him see giants where there were windmills.

Thanks to all of you.

P.S.

This was a big challenge to my English. It certainly was not good enough to express my thoughts. Apologies.

The photos are here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=88117

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 01, 2005 18:44 |  #2

rpolitsr, great challenge and great selection of winners. Congratulations Zero, Boutty and Teekay. There were some interesting interpretations of the topic.

I missed out this week as I'm doing a lot of travelling for work (Sydney - Brisbane - Darwin) and things are a bit hectic. Back on Friday so hopefully time for Zero's challenge.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 01, 2005 19:58 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #3

Thanks rpolitsr very much for putting up another interesting challenge and well commented feedback. Congratultions to Zero - beautiful metallic shot; I also like the cool atmostphere that the shot was showing. And teekay's Retired wheels - very interesting stream-engined tractor, like to ride on one of these. Great shots from all too.

My shot was really nothing special - was taken in front of our holiday's motel last month in a town called Yarawonga about 2 hrs. drive from Melbourne Australia. It must had been a transportation of the suppliers for the gold miners in the late 1800's ?!?

HungryWriter
317 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 01, 2005 20:47 as a reply to  @ Boutty's post |  #4

Thanks for the nice comment! All the pics were beautiful. Jealous.:o

And your English was great!

[Canon SX200IS] [Canon SX170IS] * [Canon Rebel EOS T1i] [Canon Speedlite 420EX] [EF 35mm f/2.0] [EF 50mm f/1.4 USM] [EF 85mm f/1.8 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens] [EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens] [Giottos MTL Tripod]
*Visit my DadWithAPen Blog (external link)*

Zero
73 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 01, 2005 21:32 |  #5

"Well, knock me down and sprinkle me with Fairy Dust!"
Gee, thats almost what I said to my husband. The forum has been giving me database errors today*, so I thought I would check to see who won before heading to bed.

Thank you very much, Rpolitsr. I could not be more shocked, especially given some of the entries. It is a very great honour to have my photo even rank.

I was quite impressed with all the "other" photos. I loved the wagon that looked like it had survived at least 100 years of weather - it doesn't look like a hotel lobby at all! heh. I thought as well that "Wheelman's Dream" would catch the prize, especially given the end of the recent Tour de France. Digidog's landscape was the kind of photo I would only dream of taking. So beautiful. Marie's photo made me smile, and "In Japan" you always take good photos.

I loved how the topic seemed to encompass history - the history of humanity and it's progress. It was rather what I had been thinking when I came out from work in the evening and saw a motor bike (Honda) parked on the street... how we have progressed from wheels as transport to the finely tooled wheels and machines of the present.

I took this early evening. I decided not to use the flash so I wouldn't get a lot of reflected light or flash. Luckily the light allowed enough exposure at F4.0. I only took one shot, thinking "oh, I'll get lots of time to take other shots of wheels...". It turned out that this one was the one I liked the best. I didn't need to crop it or lighten it, so I was pretty happy.

I have a few ideas of what to post for the next challenge. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

Thank you again. I am really moved. This forum has been so helpful, and many of the members so kind. I must say I enjoy the challenges whenever I get a chance to post. Now comes the really, hard part for me. This unexpected win, means I better start thinking, quick! :D

===============
*and it still is. sigh

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 02, 2005 12:27 as a reply to  @ Zero's post |  #6

Congratulations to Zero # 1
and to Boutty # 2 and Teekay # 3

all very interesting pictures
I enjoyed them very mcuh
thank you very much Rpolitsr for doing the tough job and all the nice remarks you said about them all.
much appreciated
I knew mine was not quite what you wanted as you mentioned the wheel to be the main subject but left it anyway

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

many thanks to all
congratulations again Zero
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
lovely shot

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

txfirebug
91 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 02, 2005 12:40 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #7

Congrats to the winners of another interesting challenge. For those who asked, my entry was a once popular fire extinguisher cart used down on the wharves for cotton bale fires. It was a two wheeled hand drawn cart but unfortunately time had deteriorated all but the axle and wheels. My neighbor collects anitiques and uses it for a plant holder in his yard. Looking forward to the next challenge. Good Luck everyone.

in ­ Japan
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 02, 2005 17:18 |  #8

Thanks repoltsr for hosting such a fun challenge. I also really enjoyed reading your comments as they added a different perspective (even of my own photo!). Regardless of what you say, I think your English is excellent and you definitely rose to the challenge. Well done! Congrats to Zero, Boutty, and teekay on your winning photos. All three well deserve recognition. Now it's time to treasure the next challenge. (sorry, I had to say it)

There's no day but today.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 02, 2005 23:56 |  #9

abat: rpolitsr, great challenge and great selection of winners.
It became a great challenge because of the quality of the pictures posted. I am very proud of them all.

HungryWriter: And your English was great!
Perhaps after some dictionaries and grammar books consulted, my written English closely resembles the real language. The main problem is that I do not know enough words to express all my thoughts in English yet.

Congratulations to the winners, thanks to all for posting and for your kind comments.

marie, you made things hard to me with your great work in the previous challenge, but this was a very interesting week to me. Thank you.

Zero, Boutty, txfirebug it was nice to read the details about your shots.

Thank you in Japan for your comments.

It was very interesting to shot the pictures for the previous challenge, so the last week I went out searching some subjects for my own topic, just for fun.

I am not sure if this can be done, but as the challenge is over, I dare to share with you my wheel. It is one of the wheels of an “aqua-cycle” shot in a near by park whit a small artificial lake.

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit/varios/onthenet/mywheel_IMG_3980_320web.jpg

I forgot to say “over to you, Zero” as usual but you are on duty now. Good luck

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Zero
73 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 03, 2005 06:34 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #10

rpolitsr wrote:
I forgot to say “over to you, Zero” as usual but you are on duty now. Good luck

Gee, I hope I have picked something too vague. Odd you can bet on. Some of my first thoughts were much more complex, or obscure. Some seemed too simple - and I envisioned trying to pick through 40 photos. I hope your going to be able to find some object of affection for the "personal treasure" post. :)
I might follow your lead and post up a still life composition of my father's beloved Leica.

and to "In Japan"...

"Now it's time to treasure the next challenge. (sorry, I had to say it)".
hahaha. Ouch! I *do* look forward to your submission. I am certain you will put your best foot foward and come up with something great. ;)

digidog
106 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 03, 2005 10:53 |  #11

Well done winners! Also great job rpolitsr - your English was better than you get from a lot of English speakers on the web! :) You also did a great job with the judging.

Zero - glad you liked my picture :) Personally I felt it was a tad off-topic. I thought your picture was great too.

sponsored links

4,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.