Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 07:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF/MF on panorama?

Kaksa
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 26, 2010 07:53 |  #1

What's the best when taken multiple photos for Panorama?

Should I use autofocus and focus between every shot, or is MF better, so the focus is at the same place at each picture?
Untill now I have used AF, but what do you use?

Edit: typo...

-Kim- (external link)

jrader
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 26, 2010 11:36 |  #2

Find the closest object in the entire panorama. Choose an aperture. Set the focus manually to the hyperfocal distance. Shoot away.

John

www.GreatEscapePhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
Instagram: @greatescapephotograph​y (external link)

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 28, 2010 18:53 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Definitely manual focus so the camera doesn't choose a close object on one side and a far object on the other side.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 28, 2010 18:55 |  #4

Manual Focus..TriPod.. Constant Aperture

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

BobL
159 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 29, 2010 21:34 |  #5

joayne wrote in post #10443314 (external link)
Manual Focus..TriPod.. Constant Aperture

Strictly speaking a standard tripod does not locate the camera in the correct geometrical placement for a panorama. The camera needs to rotate about the nodal point of the lens which is usually somewhere between the front of the lens and the sensor and the point differs for each focal length used. This is generally only an issue for when some objects are near and some are distance in the same scene eg indoors, once all the objects are more than 10 metres away this is less significant.
If you require a level horizon, the head and camera need to be level, and if you want to get accurate alignment of images with near and far components a nodal placement tripod head is necessary.

Even though I have a manfrotto pano tripod head that allows me to set the camera level and the rotation point correctly, I shoot most of my panos handheld, on auto focus and auto exposure.

Sometimes I do set out with all the photo accessories and the kitchen sink and allocate the time to get a good pano but more often that not I take the opportunity to quickly capture a passing pano in the brief moment I am there. However, I reckon it's still worth knowing how to take them hand held - at least keep the camera in the same approximate spot and rotate your body around the camera instead of the other way around. OK - I still get exposure banding, wonky horizons, and stuff doesn't line up etc but capturing the scene is often more important than accuracy and lugging photo gear around and managing an exponentially increasing number of images. Often I stitch the images together and don't bother cropping out the final image, like the attachment of the woodworking shop below. I took that standing in the busy doorway of the woodworking shop -If I had turned up with a big tripod and cluttered up the door way I probably would have been asked to move

These were shot with a Pano tripod head manual exposure manual focus.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

With some panos like the pool shot above that include shots into the light I also extensively bracket and pick the best shots to include in the pano.

This was done with a monopod - this is good because at least you can rotate about it.

And the rest (and most of the zillion of others taken in the last 36 years) were all hand held auto focus and exp

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF/MF on panorama?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.