Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Picking a camera bag

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 26, 2010 14:00 |  #1

A good day,

Over the past few days, I've been searching for a new camera bag. I have been looking at Lowepro and Kata bags mainly, but can't make up my mind.

The following things are very important to me:
- It has to be a backpack
- 2 shoulder straps
- I want to be able to sling the bag and quickly pull out my camera
- It needs an AW cover
- It needs to fit a camera body with a lens mounted, with storage for a few primes (for example the 135mm)

I can get a Lowepro Primus for the price of a Slingshot 350AW, but have read that the quick access opening is rather small. I really like the Lowepro Fastpack, but don't want it because it lacks an AW cover. The Kata 3N1 30 looks good, but also crazy large.

At this moment I have the following equipment:
- 40D
- ZE 2/35 Distagon
- 135L
- More to come!

Could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh and I want to use it during citytrips, forest walks and hiking trips in the mountains. Basically, it needs to be an all-round backpack.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,611 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2010 14:11 |  #2

camera backpack (external link)

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

emmalish
353 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2010 14:21 |  #3

^^ Not particularly helpful, that.

I'd also be interested in a bag like the OP described, and I have googled and looked at different designs, but hearing from someone who has such a bag would be much more useful.

50D
24-85 | MP-E 65 | 60 Macro | 100 Macro | 70-200L f/4 IS | Tamron 90 Macro
420EX | 580EX | MT-24EX

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2010 15:32 |  #4

The fact that the 3N1 might be larger than you need it to be doesn't mean you won't get more gear in the future. If the other criteria are met, and you think it's the right type of bag, why not just get that one? I just had a discussion with a good friend who borrowed my Kata 465 and loved it. She's giving back that bag and getting the 3N1 because it is everything she needs.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

jpbimages
474 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 26, 2010 15:43 |  #5

look into the Lowepro flipside.... it may be what you're looking for!

Rsyx
THREAD ­ STARTER
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 26, 2010 16:04 |  #6

Thanks for the advice people.

The Kata 3N1 30 may be just for me after all indeed. It also seems to be just the right size to be allowed as carry-on luggage in a plane. Does anyone by any chance have experience with this backpack as carry-on?

The Flipside is a handy looking bag, but I don't like how you access your gear. It seems to be not as fast as the Slingshot/3N1/Primus.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 26, 2010 16:33 as a reply to  @ Rsyx's post |  #7

Naturalist wrote in post #10431001 (external link)
camera backpack (external link)

In addition to completely ignoring the OP's specified requirements, that's not an acceptable answer around here.

Forum Rules wrote:
Giving newbies blunt answers like "search the forum" is not allowed - please use the typing effort to giving the answer instead.

emmalish wrote in post #10431039 (external link)
^^ Not particularly helpful, that.

I'd also be interested in a bag like the OP described, and I have googled and looked at different designs, but hearing from someone who has such a bag would be much more useful.

Quite right - it isn't. Even if the search were to bring up some useful information mixed in with the other results, you would still have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

OP -I'm not sure what you're looking for can be found. You want a backpack with 2 shoulder straps, yet you want to be able to unsling it and grab your camera without having to take it all the way off. That's not something backpacks are exactly noted for. You might try the Think Tank Rotation 360, which essentially combines a waist pack with a backpack, and lets you rotate the waistpack around. If you want reasonably easy access to any of the bag's contents without having to take it all the way off, you'll need to look at a sling (single cross-strap) bag or a regular shoulder bag.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Rsyx
THREAD ­ STARTER
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 26, 2010 17:08 |  #8

Thanks for the advice Jon.

That Think Tank bag looks extremely useful, but I see it comes with a hefty price tag. It's true that I'm asking a complicated question, and I've been searching the forums for a long time for a good solution. The Lowepro Fastpack is 99% of what I need, even has the sling and double strap - but it lacks the AW cover.

More and more I think that the Kata 3N1 30 is the solution I am going to settle on. Thanks for the useful advice everyone!

5D II + ZE 50 MP

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 26, 2010 17:19 |  #9

If the lack of a rain cover is all that's wrong with the LowePro, check out camping suppliers like REI. They often (usually) sell backpack covers. A Ducksback 20 (external link), for instance, is sized for a day pack (20 l. volume) so would probably be a good size.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Rsyx
THREAD ­ STARTER
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 26, 2010 17:49 |  #10

That's a great option indeed. I was expecting such things to exist, but didn't manage to find one.

Thanks for the link, I'll make sure to find a retailer nearby. :)

5D II + ZE 50 MP

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2010 19:07 |  #11

That is why I don't worry about a rain cover for the bags I have. I've collected quite a few covers already, and they can be used with various bags.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 26, 2010 19:24 |  #12

Has anyone mentioned the Kata bags that have backpack straps but can be converted into by tucking one strap in and attaching the other diagonally? I have one and its a pretty good bag. Unfortunately I'm that guy always hunting for a new, better bag. I've got 4 (two backpacks, a sling and a messenger).

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 26, 2010 21:20 |  #13

I really liked my Kata 3 in 1-10 bag, the only issue I had was that the straps were too narrow and less suportive when you had a full load of gear. With a heavy load it was uncomfortable the straps cuts in and as it was quite narrow it used to roll around a lot (don't think this is a problem with the larger versions)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

jaeapla
61 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 26, 2010 22:30 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #14

I had a Kata 3N30 and got rid of it. To me, it was too hard to get to the other lenses if I wanted to change one out (also, it wasn't that comfortable on my back). I am using a Flipside 300 and really like it - it is comfortable and if you attach the waist strap, you can rotate it around to access the pack. Also, you can get it from Sell n Send on Ebay for $62.99 less $5.04 Bing Cashback for a net of $57.95. You can't beat that.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII w/BG-E11 l Canon EOS 7D w/BG-E7 l EF 24-105mm f/4L l EF 24-70mm f/2.8L l EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6L l EF 17-40mm F/4L l EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro l EF 50mm f/1.4 l EF 85mm f/1.8 l (2) 580EX II Flashes w/FlexTT5's

Nick5
Goldmember
3,241 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 26, 2010 22:34 |  #15

Rsyx.
Being a bag junkie I just bought the new Tamrac Evolution 8.
It can be worn like a backpack or a sling with one strap.
Side entry to access your camera and lenses.
It can hold my 15" MacBook Pro and best of all it has a rain cover.
Very well built and comfortable to wear. It will fit all of your equipment listed above.
The Lowepro Fastpack would be ideal also if it included the AW Cover. It a shame Lowepro missed that great feature.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

3,575 views & 0 likes for this thread
Picking a camera bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.