Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 16:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

focus marks

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 26, 2010 16:07 |  #1

Hello peeps,

I just bought me a new 50D, and there is a strange thing, the focusmarks on the focusing screen isnt exactly the same as what DPP or Zoombrowser is showing me, the glass is not properly aligned? Should i bring the body back to the shop?
I also find the pics very soft....
Greetings

sponsored links
Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 26, 2010 19:35 |  #2

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10431412 (external link)
Hello peeps,

I just bought me a new 50D, and there is a strange thing, the focusmarks on the focusing screen isnt exactly the same as what DPP or Zoombrowser is showing me, the glass is not properly aligned? Should i bring the body back to the shop?
Greetings

The focus points recorded can't move...they are simply telling you the point where your actual picture was focused. They can't be "misaligned". I recommend you post some of your pictures.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 27, 2010 06:44 |  #3

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #10432171 (external link)
The focus points recorded can't move...they are simply telling you the point where your actual picture was focused. They can't be "misaligned". I recommend you post some of your pictures.

The matte glass where the focus points are engraved are not on the very same spot as i see in zoombrowser, you understand me?
Its as if the glass itselves is not properly aligned with the actual focuspoints, when i want to use a focuspoint in the viewfinder to get an eye sharp, i have to move it a little bit higher to get the focuspoint spot on the eye in zoombrowser as dpp...

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 27, 2010 07:34 |  #4

I guess it might be possible for it to be misaligned, although I seem to recall that it is quite a snug fit (I swapped focus screens when I got my 50D a couple of years back). It may be worth googling for '50D focus screen replacement' to find some images or video showing how to remove and replace it. Although I'm not sure how easy it would be without the cute little tool Canon supply with a replacement screen.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 27, 2010 08:33 |  #5

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10433956 (external link)
The matte glass where the focus points are engraved are not on the very same spot as i see in zoombrowser, you understand me?
Its as if the glass itselves is not properly aligned with the actual focuspoints, when i want to use a focuspoint in the viewfinder to get an eye sharp, i have to move it a little bit higher to get the focuspoint spot on the eye in zoombrowser as dpp...

The square indicators are not on the focus screen, they are on a completely separate screen locked in much tighter.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

tiha
960 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2010 08:52 |  #6

Focusing points which DPP shows aren't very good. Central one is OK but others are way off.

EOS 5D, EOS 30D, EOS 3, PowerShot G6
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, TS-E 90mm f/2.8, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Speedlite 580EX, Speedlite 430EX, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Transmitter ST-E2
PBase: http://www.pbase.com/v​_tihomir (external link)

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 27, 2010 09:49 |  #7

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #10431412 (external link)
Hello peeps,

Greetings

Is this really an issue given that the focus point indicated in DPP doesn't show on what or where the camera focused. It simply shows which focus point was selected.

Steve.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
focus marks
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.