Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Jun 2010 (Monday) 17:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd Body - Suggestions

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 28, 2010 17:56 |  #1

Hi all,

I am looking for a 2nd body for weddings, but I am not sure what I should get. I have an FF camera and I can imagine I will be carrying both at all times with 2 different lens. I thought about the crop+FF thing for a variety of focal lengths but I am not sure if this would be better than going FF+FF. I know I kind of asked this question before, but i've come down to either a 5dc or a 7d.

Any suggestions?

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 28, 2010 19:48 |  #2

I'm of a simliar mind. Have the 5D2 and 50D now and like the versatility it brings to my lens collection. But FF really does create a better looking image (IMO, I know others see it differently) and there are many times I wish I had two FF's. I probably will go that way one day, but not yet.

In my view (and my thinking tends to go against the tide of popular opinion), you have it backwards. For the cost differential between them, I'd take a 50D over a 7D any day. Yeah, there are benefits to the 7D, but the 50D gets you a lot of camera for the money. Especially given that it's only a second body for you.There is, however, a vast difference between the 5Dc and 5D2; one that I think represents a far better value.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 28, 2010 19:52 |  #3

Or a 40D... and use the rest for more glass. That is where you get the most for your dollar.

I am one of those people who will probably never use a dual FF body setup. (provided Canon continues to make crop cams) There are advantages in both courts, and I exploit those advantages of each format.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 28, 2010 19:53 |  #4

I'm with bob. I cannot figure out what i want for my second body, and had decided on another 5d2, until recently I have been thinking about the 7d. I really do think i want to go another ff but unlike peacefield. Id rather go 7d than 50d.

Due to budget constraints, I'm thinking about buying glass and lighting before another body, then will make my decision when I come to that time.

Askcally saying, i have no idea.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 28, 2010 20:32 |  #5

Do you guys see a large IQ difference between the two bodies you guys use? I assume you use both simultaneously and using the 2nd body really as another lens available at your disposal. Or is your 2nd body kept in the bag as a backup and only used if your main somehow goes down?

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 28, 2010 20:56 |  #6

I'd save up for another 5D2 myself - rent until you can buy it. Two cameras that feel and work exactly alike when switching back and forth is comforting to me. Same innards and same performance.

I understand the focal length variation one gets by mixing FF with a crop sensor but really... you probably have a half dozen lenses anyway. Just mix 'em up on each 5D.

lefturn99
820 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 28, 2010 21:00 |  #7

The two cameras that are complimentary to the 5D2 are the 7D and the 1D Mk IV. They have the things the 5D2 doesn't. I've agonized over this forever.

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 28, 2010 21:36 |  #8

Gometang wrote in post #10443745 (external link)
Do you guys see a large IQ difference between the two bodies you guys use? I assume you use both simultaneously and using the 2nd body really as another lens available at your disposal. Or is your 2nd body kept in the bag as a backup and only used if your main somehow goes down?

Yes there is an image quality difference. And no, clients don't care about it.

My 40D gives me just about all the image quality I could ever need. We photographers pixel peep and wet ourselves over 1:1 pixels that look a little bit sharper on one camera over the other, when really, clients don't give a crap.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 29, 2010 06:42 |  #9

Like Lloyd, I see an obvious difference in IQ. The 5D2 is only a little sharper, but it takes peeping to see it. It does, however, handle noise visibly better. But it just requires a little extra cleanup from Noiseware. At the end of the day, I don't think about one camera having better IQ than the other, I simply consider the sensor size and couple it with the right lens to get the look I'm going for.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 29, 2010 06:50 |  #10

I went down the 5DII & 7D route and am really happy with the choice I made. They really do complement each other well and you get more variety out of the lenses at your disposal which is a good bonus.

I don't see a huge difference in quality, the 5DII being perhaps slightly better than the 7D but not so that it is obvious - they're both excellent in that respect.

I do use both all day and don't really consider one the main camera and the other the backup - I see them both as equals and they stay with me all day. (Although when shooting the formals I'll more than likely put the 7D down as it gets in the way for that little bit!).

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2010 07:47 |  #11

I am with Mike here, as I have the 5D2 and 7D combo. I just started using the 7D mainly for some video moments and it's amazing and much easier to get to the controls. I think Canon will upgrade the future 5D series with the same better access to video. But the question was about the 2nd camera body. I don't consider the 7D my 2nd camera, just the other one. The 5DII is definitely better with the sharpness and creamy feel than the 7D, but still, the 7D is faster and gives a second perspective. If you are serious about doing this for real, and you want 2 great cameras, the 7D is a good choice. The lenses do different things in each camera and sometimes you need one versus the other. What I really wish is I were 2 people so I could use both at the same time. :) That's why I have 2 shooters most of the time and 3 cameras. When I need the 7D from my son, I'll just switch with him and he can shoot with the 5D2. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2010 08:34 |  #12

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #10443570 (external link)
I'm with bob. I cannot figure out what i want for my second body, and had decided on another 5d2, until recently I have been thinking about the 7d. I really do think i want to go another ff but unlike peacefield. Id rather go 7d than 50d.

Due to budget constraints, I'm thinking about buying glass and lighting before another body, then will make my decision when I come to that time.

Askcally saying, i have no idea.

only one body currently? I'd suggest getting that second body first if you aren't renting second ones for important events. Glass is important but if you don't have a body to shoot with because it goes down.. glass does no good.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 29, 2010 10:29 |  #13

sctbiggs wrote in post #10446666 (external link)
only one body currently? I'd suggest getting that second body first if you aren't renting second ones for important events. Glass is important but if you don't have a body to shoot with because it goes down.. glass does no good.

I have 2 bodies, 5d2 and a 40d, but am having a hrd time using the 40d. Maybe i need to try to start using it more and falling bak in love with it, but the LCD screen and the huge iq difference iw really hard for me to get over. I shot with both for q while but rejected almost all of my 4od files.

Bryan

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2010 10:46 |  #14

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #10447226 (external link)
I have 2 bodies, 5d2 and a 40d, but am having a hrd time using the 40d. Maybe i need to try to start using it more and falling bak in love with it, but the LCD screen and the huge iq difference iw really hard for me to get over. I shot with both for q while but rejected almost all of my 4od files.

gotcha... if i woulda looked at your sig i would have seen that.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 29, 2010 10:48 |  #15

sctbiggs wrote in post #10447304 (external link)
gotcha... if i woulda looked at your sig i would have seen that.

Its ok, sometimes i talk and don't make sense...

Bryan

sponsored links

3,964 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd Body - Suggestions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.