Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can the 5D2 sensor be improved?

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 01, 2010 11:48 |  #1

Thinking forward to the MkIII, Canon made an improvemnt on this sensor when stepping from the 1ds3 to the 5D2.

Can it be improved further, as in a big jump?

I was at a Sikh wedding on Saturday, the colours that came out of the camera and lack of noise at high iso were astounding, whereas my Girlfriend who was acting as second shooter had the 7D, a new camera but there was 3 times as much noise for the same ISO.

Sure, it's a crop sensor vs full frame but considering the 5D2 is now in it's third year, the 7d it's first I'm beginning to wonder if the 5D3 will be worth the purchase.

Then again there's a better focus system, that would be nice.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,558 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 01, 2010 11:50 |  #2

It can be improved by reducing the megapixels and having clean low ISO shadows like canon used to have.

just an opinion.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 01, 2010 11:53 |  #3

Keep the pixels, lower the noise and increase the dynamic range. Number one for me is dynamic range at the highest ISO's.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jul 01, 2010 12:18 |  #4

They should enlarge it to medium format and sell a MF DSLR like the Hasselblad H4D and the Leica S2. They could also bring out a line of Canon MF lenses..

This would be great for those who think DOF is the only important aspect of photography :)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 01, 2010 12:28 as a reply to  @ Jim_T's post |  #5

Matching the D3S noise while staying with the current resolution would be great and probably realistic scenario. I can't imagine a huge noise improvement, unless Canon has some sort of secret technology under wraps.

arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 01, 2010 12:37 |  #6

Make 'em cheaper so I could afford one.

1.6 crop & some lenses

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,086 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 12:38 |  #7

It's time for a new image sensor technology. There are a few candidates out there. Black silicon, Foveon technology, single pixel cameras, and others. CMOS has about hit the wall in what it can deliver. Sort of like processors. You can only clock so fast, it took multi-cores to move processors to the next level of performance.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 01, 2010 12:43 |  #8

bohdank wrote in post #10460389 (external link)
Keep the pixels, lower the noise and increase the dynamic range. Number one for me is dynamic range at the highest ISO's.

+1. More dynamic range would get my $. ISO and noise(aside from banding) are fine now. Time to start expanding the range a few stops.

John Caputo

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 01, 2010 12:43 |  #9

Jim_T wrote in post #10460567 (external link)
They should enlarge it to medium format and sell a MF DSLR like the Hasselblad H4D and the Leica S2. They could also bring out a line of Canon MF lenses..

This would be great for those who think DOF is the only important aspect of photography :)

Don't discount the Pentax 645D! MUCH cheaper than the Hasselblad Digital MF bodies :)

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 01, 2010 13:05 |  #10

Canon needs to come up with same backlit CMOS technology as Sony is currently developing. :)

http://www.alphamountw​orld.com …k-illuminated-cmos-sensor (external link)

And then.. there is this ground breaking new image sensor technology from underdog company.

http://www.tomsguide.c​om …ne-Cameras,news-6205.html (external link)

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 01, 2010 13:31 |  #11

I have only read a few reviews, so I could be wrong.. but doesn't the 1DmkIV have less noise (more detail) then the 5DmkII? So yes, Canon can do it...

ps. The 5DmkII is on my wishlist as my next camera regardless if the 5Dmk3 or 1DsMKIV have less noise. I'm just waiting for prices to drop and my savings to grow. lol :)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,694 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 01, 2010 13:36 |  #12

Jim_T wrote in post #10460567 (external link)

And then they'd charge $6000 for it. I read some where that the majority of a DSLR's cost is because of it's sensor.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 01, 2010 13:37 |  #13

Village_Idiot wrote in post #10461142 (external link)
And then they'd charge $6000 for it. I read some where that the majority of a DSLR's cost is because of it's sensor.

I'd think it would be a bit more than $6000. The Pentax 645D might be the digital MF "game changer" as it's coming in at under $10,000.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,494 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2010 13:43 |  #14

The 5D III will improve just like the 5D II improved on the 5D... The way the 7D improved over the 50D, how the 50D improved over the 40D, etc... It will never end, don't worry. There is always a way.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,086 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2010 13:54 |  #15

Invertalon wrote in post #10461184 (external link)
... like the 5D II improved on the 5D... ...the 7D improved over the 50D, how the 50D improved over the 40D, etc.....

Those improvement were packing more pixels into the same size silicon. But space is limited and somewhere along the way there will be too many pixels for there to be an advancement in IQ. I'm hoping they look for a different way to improve and not just pack more pixels on a too small sensor.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
How can the 5D2 sensor be improved?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.