Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Jul 2010 (Friday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

COMPARISON: Pixel TD-382 to Yongnuo SF-18

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 02, 2010 10:40 |  #1

After hearing claims that the Pixel TD-382 would offer better recycle times and longer battery life than the equivalent Yongnuo SF-18 I decided to run the Yongnuo through the exact same test I just did with the Pixel.

Setup for both units is identical. Fresh Duracell AA batteries were installed in the flash before each test and fully charged Powerex 2700mAh NiMH batteries were used in the battery pack.

The Nikon SB-900 was connected to a Pocket Wizard Plus II and was triggered once every 30 seconds using the intervalometer in a Pocket Wizard Multi Max. Triggering every 30 seconds keeps the flash from overheating or shutting down due to the thermal protection circuitry.

Test Results

First, let’s look at the results from the Pixel TD-382 test.

Recycle Time And Battery Life Using 8 NiMH Batteries:

• Full power - .9 seconds.
• Half power or lower - immediate with no perceivable delay.

Full Power Pop Test

• 1 – 100 pops : No change in recycle time.
• 101 – 200 pops : No change in recycle time.
• 201 – 300 pops : Recycle time increased from .9 to 1.32 seconds (.42 second change).
• 301 – 400 pops : Recycle time increased from 1.32 to 4.75 seconds (3.43 second change).
• 400 – 450 pops : Recycle time increased from 4.75 to 15 seconds (10.25 second change).

First indication of low charge was at 380 pops with a noticeable increase in recycle time.

Now, here are the results from the Yongnuo SF-18.

Recycle Time And Battery Life Using NiMH Batteries:

• Full power – 1.2 seconds.
• Half power or lower - immediate with no perceivable delay.

Full Power Pop Test

• 1 – 100 pops : Recycle time increased from 1.2 to 1.6 seconds (.4 second change).
• 101 – 200 pops : Recycle time increased from 1.6 to 1.8 seconds (.2 second change).
• 201 – 300 pops : Recycle time increased from 1.8 to 2.7 seconds (.9 second change).
• 301 – 350 pops : Recycle time increased from 2.7 to 9.3 seconds (6.6 second change).

There was no real indication of low charge but a noticeable increase in recycle time occurred at 310 pops.

Compare and Contrast

The results are fairly obvious. When it comes to recycle time, battery life and the overall combination the Pixel TD-382 proves to be a much better unit than the Yongnuo SF-18. If you look at the Pixel after 300 pops it was still giving recycle times of 1.32 seconds, as compared to the Yongnuo at 2.7 seconds after 300 pops. That’s a difference of 1.38 seconds. When you’re talking about recycle times, 1.38 seconds is quite a bit depending on the shooting scenario.

Another thing to note when comparing the two units is that the very noticeable slowdown in recycle time occurs at 380 pops on the Pixel and 310 pops on the Yongnuo. While that’s only a difference of 70 pops you have to figure in the fact that the recycle times are better up to and after that point.

These two battery packs look and feel the same and weight is about the same when using 8 batteries in the Pixel. When it comes to overall performance there is no question that the Pixel outperforms the Yongnuo and in my opinion is worth a few extra dollars for that performance as well as the ability to use 4 batteries in an emergency or as backup.

You can see the review of the Pixel TD-382 here: REVIEW: Pixel TD-382

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2010 12:12 |  #2

Rob, it's the time and effort that people like you are willing to put forth (testing, sharing knowledge, etc.) that make POTN so great. Thank you.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 02, 2010 12:17 |  #3

Awesome info. Wish I had known about the Pixel before I bought the Yongnuo a few weeks ago. Thanks for the time and effort to bring this info to us. Much appreciated Rob!

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

lowcrust
948 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 02, 2010 12:44 |  #4

Wow, that's a'lotta good work there! Thanks!

~ BORN FREE - TAXED TO DEATH! ~

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2010 12:06 |  #5

Thanks Rob for making the effort to do this comparison.
I have both and use them with my 580EX and 580EXIIs but never took the time to do this in-depth comparison. (Partly because I don't have anything that will fire the flash other than a camera or my finger on the test button. :-) )

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 04, 2010 12:55 |  #6

dmward wrote in post #10475864 (external link)
Thanks Rob for making the effort to do this comparison.
I have both and use them with my 580EX and 580EXIIs but never took the time to do this in-depth comparison. (Partly because I don't have anything that will fire the flash other than a camera or my finger on the test button. :-) )

Hi David,

When I got the Yongnuo and started using it I was a little disappointed in performance but figured it's the nature of the beast and that there was only so much they could do with a pack running on 8 AA batteries.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw how the Pixel was performing compared to the Yongnuo.

So it just goes to show that even though all these products imported from China are not all the same and that at times there are manufacturers that take it upon themselves to better the product without reinventing the wheel.

Robert

Lightworks ­ Imaging
Goldmember
1,525 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 20, 2010 23:32 |  #7

g-money wrote in post #10466927 (external link)
Awesome info. Wish I had known about the Pixel before I bought the Yongnuo a few weeks ago. Thanks for the time and effort to bring this info to us. Much appreciated Rob!

Greg

You and me both...

Just the humble musings of a beginner...
Eric
Lightworks Imaging (external link)
MM (external link)

oharing
521 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 20, 2011 13:11 |  #8

Thanks a lot!!!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

oharing
521 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 20, 2011 13:13 |  #9

I am just wondering how the Pixel TD-382 would compare to the genuine Nikon/Canon battery packs.

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 20, 2011 13:13 as a reply to  @ oharing's post |  #10

Sure thing!

Robert

sponsored links

11,698 views & 1 like for this thread
COMPARISON: Pixel TD-382 to Yongnuo SF-18
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.