Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 13:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lights turned off

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 03, 2010 13:04 |  #1

Love it. Shot a wedding last Saturday in a 4H building and as soon as the processional started and the ring bearer started down the aisle someone was playing with the light switch and turn off all the lights. Almost total darkness, the only light was coming from the windows and my camera/flash was all set for bounce. I shot anyway and ended up with a host of underexposed and a few blurry raw files. They tried to turn the lights back on but it was the kind that are in stadiums and take 15 or 20 mins to warm back up and come on, by that time the ceremony was over. There are a lot that are not recoverable of the ceremony. It is straight on flash for me from now on.

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 03, 2010 13:10 |  #2

Your ability to bounce is not affected by the ambient light. Only thing that affects flash exposure is the flash power/duration, your ISO, your aperture, and of course the "path" (distance) the light has to travel from your flash to the subject (as well as the reflectivity of the bounce surface)

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 03, 2010 13:45 |  #3

as the one shooting the pictures shouldn't you be able to just adjust settings real quick for the situation and shoot straight flash or drop shutterspeed to capture more light with it in bounce? Why keep shooting anyway? Adjust for the situation.

I wouldn't shoot a wedding without AF assist which would have helped get the focus right. lights go out? make sure I'm in M, slow shutter. . . the flash will freeze movement, still bounce, turn flash to M, test 1/1, chimp, set 1/2, chimp till things are just right. Use AF assist (if working alright) to help with focus.

It still depends on how high the ceilings are and what not but you could have pulled it off with bouncing. If your camera/flash is set for bounce I would guess it should only take you 15 secondsish to switch things around instead of continuing to shoot. No need to go straight flash, just figure out how to do things on the fly.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 03, 2010 17:44 as a reply to  @ tfizzle's post |  #4

If I shot straight on with the flash on the camera, there would be red eyes galore, the only white to bounce from was a very high ceiling and I did some testing and all was fine until they turned the lights out. I reduced my shutter to 1/30 but that was still too very underexposed. I agree I should have been prepared. I have he focus in AI Servio but for some reason the AF either didn't work or it was too dark. Yeah, I should have been more prepared mentally but I was at a total loss in my thinking when the lights went out. I looked thru the viewfinder and all I saw was a shadow of people walking toward me..guess I paniced. Next time I will just have my equiptment on a bracket and shoot straight so then it won't matter, no more adjustment needed...I know I'll have enough light to keep shooting. I guess I kept shooting not wanting to let everyone see I'm doing adjusting in the middle of the processional and that 15 seconds I would have missed almost all 4 brides maids coming down the aisle..they weren't walking slow either.

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 03, 2010 17:58 |  #5

that's some fast walking.

AF assist doesn't work in AI Servo. So that's the problem there. Change to one shot and get what you can. I've never really had a problem with red eye with a hot shoe flash and even if I did some post processing would have helped. All you needed to do was turn it to AV, one shot AF, ISO whatever, swivel the head down and shoot away on ettl. bam, getting shots you couldn't get while trying to bounce.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 03, 2010 20:03 |  #6

tfizzle wrote in post #10472794 (external link)
that's some fast walking.

AF assist doesn't work in AI Servo. So that's the problem there. Change to one shot and get what you can. I've never really had a problem with red eye with a hot shoe flash and even if I did some post processing would have helped. All you needed to do was turn it to AV, one shot AF, ISO whatever, swivel the head down and shoot away on ettl. bam, getting shots you couldn't get while trying to bounce.

Ok, thanks for the word on servio and af. If I chose AV I'm afraid the camera would pic a slow shutter to go with it. Would it be better to do manual and pick my f/4 or 5.6 and set the shutter to 60 or 30? I was shooting at 800 ISO anyway.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,651 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 03, 2010 22:41 |  #7

Shooting wrote in post #10473214 (external link)
Ok, thanks for the word on servio and af. If I chose AV I'm afraid the camera would pic a slow shutter to go with it. Would it be better to do manual and pick my f/4 or 5.6 and set the shutter to 60 or 30? I was shooting at 800 ISO anyway.

Absolutely - manual is the way to go... manner of fact I believe you and I were involved in a similar "discussion" sometime within the last year or so about such situations as these :D.

Av or Tv will mess you up in situations like this, and you are correct that AV would result in a slow (blurring) shutter speed. Set the camera on manual, ISO either 800 or 1600, and you still could have bounced, 1/30 second shutter, and even f/4 or 5.6. There would have certainly been enough residual strobe light to give you good images at f/4, using one shot AF and not servo.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 03, 2010 23:13 |  #8

sapearl has it right. I had a brain fart. Always M, however, if it's almost dark with ettl it will freeze the subject and with no other light hitting the sensor it shouldn't really be blurry. I've shot bands at 1/40 SS and they are moving all around like crazy and the flash freezes the subject and the slower SS allows me to capture some of the ambient around them.

It would do the same with strobes set up too even without ettl.

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 04, 2010 01:53 |  #9

sapearl wrote in post #10473688 (external link)
Absolutely - manual is the way to go...

Agree 100%. Honestly, I have never even used Av or Tv - I'm too chicken and don't understand canon's exposure algorithms when using flash. (Actually, I'm too lazy to care).

I'm not saying I use manual exclusively because I've reached some great height of technical ability... I'm just too dense to use anything else. :D

Once you use only a single setting, you just get comfortable with it.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 04, 2010 05:39 |  #10

If someone turned the lights off i'd have switched to direct flash and would've gotten photos that were not great but acceptable. If you weren't notified in advance then I don't see that you could be held responsible, but i'd expect a professional to adjust in 10 seconds or less to get an ok photo no matter what lighting conditions happened.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 04, 2010 20:46 |  #11

tim wrote in post #10474658 (external link)
If someone turned the lights off i'd have switched to direct flash and would've gotten photos that were not great but acceptable. If you weren't notified in advance then I don't see that you could be held responsible, but i'd expect a professional to adjust in 10 seconds or less to get an ok photo no matter what lighting conditions happened.

Yeah..I guess I just panicked, first time that has happened to me and the people coming down the aisle....Knowing all this now gives me more confidence and I'll be ready and also will have a gel ready to make things easier in post since I shoot raw.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 08, 2010 23:04 |  #12

And you've been shooting for 30 years??

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 09, 2010 10:00 |  #13

cdifoto wrote in post #10503298 (external link)
And you've been shooting for 30 years??

At the risk of piling on, I was just thinking the same thing.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 10, 2010 11:11 |  #14

Peacefield wrote in post #10505427 (external link)
At the risk of piling on, I was just thinking the same thing.

I'm sure you do everything perfect..right? Never miss some shots? Never get any out of focus ones? I guess others could slam you for some of your work too. Your time is coming.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 10, 2010 13:47 |  #15

Shooting wrote in post #10510980 (external link)
I'm sure you do everything perfect..right? Never miss some shots? Never get any out of focus ones? I guess others could slam you for some of your work too. Your time is coming.

Look, buddy, I didn't say I was perfect and have frequently poked fun at my own challenges if not the occassional disaster on this forum. These are demanding, fast paced, challenging days that we're trying to photograph, all while being creative to boot. That said, someone turning out the lights would not have had any impact on my bounced lighting, more importantly, I would KNOW that turning off room lights has no effect (other than to throw off my intended balance of the lighting) so I would have still gotten the shot for my client, and I know that going direct flash would not have even been the solution to your problem. These are not advanced principles, they're actually pretty basic and something that should be in full grasp by anyone claiming to have been a photographer for 30 years and a "pro" for 10.

And even if you didn't know that, who cares? The issue is you were coming on kind of obnoxiously in another thread. Coming across the way you did, I think you can understand why some (including a few before me), might respond a litle obnoxiously ourselves.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links

5,260 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lights turned off
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.