Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to clean behind focus screen

willjameson
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2010 14:19 |  #1

Ok folks, I need some advice... I changed my focusing screen, and in the few seconds it took to do so, about 2 thousand little specks of dust got onto the glass behind it. Any suggestions as to the best way (not sending it out, they want $150 and 2 weeks) to clean it. Thought about using lens cleaner but not sure what type of (if any) coating is on that glass, and the rocket blower does nothing to help.

Suggestions??? Please??

Primary Body: 5DMk2
Lenses: 17-40L, 70-200F4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 70-300IS USM, 28-135IS, 70-200F2.8ISL

sponsored links
Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2010 15:26 |  #2

Two weeks and $150 seems insane!

Maybe you can find a camera shop with a competent camera tech - local guy here charges $40 to clean sensor and focus screen while you wait.

This isn't the weekend to find anyone, but the dust shouldn't affect your images as long as it's not on the sensor (I'm not sure what glass you mean by "behind the focusing screen").

Good luck,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 03, 2010 15:39 |  #3

Ill do it for $75 and only take one week!!!

Ill just flip the lever so the screen falls down and blow it out with a rocket blower, push it back up and mail it back!!!

Sound good to you?

But really it is that easy.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

willjameson
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2010 16:55 |  #4

Unfortunately, there's no one in florida that I've been able to find who does anything like that. There's only one shop in my county and they won't do anything. when you flip down the focus screen, the glass behind (under, whatever word you like to use) that has the focus points etched on it. No, it doesn't affect the images, but man is it annoying. There's also the back-of-the-brain thought of having a $2500 camera with tons of dust in the view finder.

Delija wrote in post #10472253 (external link)
Two weeks and $150 seems insane!

Maybe you can find a camera shop with a competent camera tech - local guy here charges $40 to clean sensor and focus screen while you wait.

This isn't the weekend to find anyone, but the dust shouldn't affect your images as long as it's not on the sensor (I'm not sure what glass you mean by "behind the focusing screen").

Good luck,
D.

Lenses: 17-40L, 70-200F4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 70-300IS USM, 28-135IS, 70-200F2.8ISL

willjameson
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2010 16:57 |  #5

I wish it were that easy. The rocket blower does nothing. I've pumped that thing in there so many times that I've given myself carpal tunnel. I tried brushing it with the little brush that came with my cleaning kit and it just made it worse.

Mark1 wrote in post #10472308 (external link)
Ill do it for $75 and only take one week!!!

Ill just flip the lever so the screen falls down and blow it out with a rocket blower, push it back up and mail it back!!!

Sound good to you?

But really it is that easy.

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 03, 2010 17:21 |  #6

Try this out before you send it off or worse yet try to take out the pentaprism to clean. http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean​5D/ (external link)

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2010 19:36 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #7

I've cleaned the superimpose (SI) screen a few times, it's quite easy, but frustrating.
Never dry clean it, as this will scratch the delicate surface and this will show up as streaks in the view finder. I use visible dust sensor clear and a swab once to remove the dust, from both sides of the SI screen and the bottom of the pentaprism block.

A tip is not to take a short cut and use a blower on the SI screen while it's in the camera, the dust can be blown through the copper shims, around the SI screen and onto the pentaprism block which will then also need to be cleaned. Also make sure you remember which way the SI screen came out otherwise you'll loose the red AF focusing lights.

Here is another process from Shimworld

http://shimworld.wordp​ress.com …-the-5d-mk-ii-viewfinder/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

willjameson
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2010 19:59 |  #8

Thanks everyone for the instructions!! They really do 'look' easy. Now, my next question...is it worth attempting this, or realistically should I not take the chance and just live with the dust? I guess my question is, is it really as easy as it appears, or am I risking making things a whole lot worse just because of aesthetics?

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2010 20:17 as a reply to  @ willjameson's post |  #9

It's easy, but you need to be meticilous and extremely careful, you need to have all the right tools and cleaners and a clean, well lit and relatively dustless area before you start before you start. I recommend using jewellery screw drivers and tweezers to remove the screws and to lift up the metal tabs slightly.

The big issues are scratching the SI screen and loosing the tiny screws holding the metal plate. If the small screws fall into the mirror box, it's a trip to canon to get them out. The screws are also hard to get back in without a magentised screw driver or pointed tweezers to lay them in the screw holes.

Also the copper shims are fragile and bend very easily. Getting them and the SI screen to seat back in also requires some patience as there are cutouts and tabs that need to be aligned.

Take note of the order and orientation of what came out of the mirror box so you can replace it the same way.

Try not to damage the foam edges on the metal plate as later on these could cause problems in the mirror sealing and dampening.

Also swabbing the screen and pentaprism can push the dust into the corners without actually removing it, I had success with the Artic butterfly to get the last bits out after it has dried.

When your ready to reassemble hold the camera up to a bright light source to see if there are any more dust particles left. If they are in focus then they are on the SI screen or pentaprism block, usually out of focus means focusing screen or mirror.

Give everthing your putting back in a blow with a blower on both sides before reassembling.

Good luck

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 04, 2010 08:45 |  #10

So I've had this same question for a few days since I stupidly allowed a friend photographer talk me into swapping out a focusing screen with crop marks that he had, with mine, so I could shoot a family and keep them in the crop lines for a canvas wrap print.
His intentions were good, but I probably didn't need the screen swap for what I was doing.

Anyway, since then, the dust has been bugging me, I've removed the focusing screen and used my rocket blower down in the camera and on the focusing screen as well. Didn't help. I have even used a lens cloth on the focusing screen too, sometimes made it worse, sometimes helped but not 100%, I'm wondering after reading some of these posts and links, if I've ruined the focusing screen now? Is it that sensitive that I can't/shouldn't touch it with a lens cloth?

It doesn't appear that I've done anything, when looking through it, other than move dust parts around. Can I squirt some lens cleaning solution on this thing and wipe or swab it to try to remove the dust particles? Or should I just take it into a camera shop now and have the entire process cleaned (sensor, mirror, focusing screen), the works?

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 04, 2010 09:57 |  #11

I had the same problem and ended up buying a new focus superimpose screen. If you can find a Canon parts seller, it is worth buying a spare before attempting to clean the existing one. They are quite cheap - approx $10 to $20.
I would say that although quite a straightforward job, it is very difficult to remove every speck of dust. The two small screws are quite fiddly too!

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 04, 2010 10:04 |  #12

Ianfp wrote in post #10475321 (external link)
I had the same problem and ended up buying a new focus superimpose screen. If you can find a Canon parts seller, it is worth buying a spare before attempting to clean the existing one. They are quite cheap - approx $10 to $20.
I would say that although quite a straightforward job, it is very difficult to remove every speck of dust. The two small screws are quite fiddly too!

Ok, wait, is there a difference in the SI (Super Impose) screen and the Focusing Screen? How do you know which one is the one with the dirt?
I just swapped out my focus screen and now I have the dirt particles, but did I end up getting both SI and FS dirty doing this?

I will look for a local Canon parts seller, but B&H has been my source for all my equipment, online, and the cheapest, no tax for me through them. If I have to use them for this its $30.

For the 5D Mark II, I guess this is the one?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …dard_Precision_​Matte.html (external link)

Why are they so hard to clean?

willjameson
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 04, 2010 10:42 |  #13

Ok everyone.. I'm going to attempt to clean the SI screen. Wish me luck

willjameson
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 04, 2010 15:25 |  #14

Ok, four hours later and I'm done. It really wasn't that difficult, but I took way more time than I think I needed to. It's still not perfect, but MUCH better than it was. Thanks to all for the advice.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2010 17:21 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

willjameson wrote in post #10472053 (external link)
Ok folks, I need some advice... I changed my focusing screen, and in the few seconds it took to do so, about 2 thousand little specks of dust got onto the glass behind it.
and ....
Ok, four hours later and I'm done. It really wasn't that difficult, but I took way more time than I think I needed to. It's still not perfect, but MUCH better than it was. Thanks to all for the advice.

Suggestions??? Please??

There is something rotten in Florida if
1. you got 2,000 specs in a few seconds
and
2. it took you 4 hours to clean

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links

12,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to clean behind focus screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.