Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Jul 2010 (Sunday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to get the blue out?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 04, 2010 22:03 |  #1

Hello folks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This shot was taken RAW and I didn't do anything to it except resize and convert to jpg for putting in this post. No PP whatsoever. It was taken where we were more or less surrounded by trees so I was sort of prepared for everything to have a green cast. The problem is that I can't get it out.

Actually, I see it as blue in the hair on the top of the head and the white blouse. I can put so much yellow in it that she looks jaundiced and you can still see the blue in the hair. On the chance that it really was green, I tried magenta and you can still see the color in the hair no matter what. (Her hair is actually silver/gray with absolutely no color to it.)

Fixing the density first didn't do any good either; the blue's still there.

This reminds me of trying to print a negative that's been screwed up in the development process so that it's impossible to get the colors right. But it seems that something like a color cast from the surroundings would be easy to fix.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks a lot.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 04, 2010 22:11 |  #2

It's not blue, it's green, at least on the uncalibrated monitor i'm on right now.

You need to adjust your white balance. If you're using RAW do it in your raw converter with the white balance tool. If you you shot jpeg then the levels tool is a quick and dirty way to do it, use the white or grey droppers then click on the white top or the more pure white of the undershirt.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bucket772
517 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 04, 2010 22:11 |  #3

I'm really only familiar with Lightroom so best I can tell you is open the develop module and go into the HSL area. I would try the saturation and start dialing down the blue. Or click the little selector box on the top right, then move your cursor over the offending areas. You should see the color slider highlight over the colors. Move around til you find the blue slider light up. Then click and drag the saturation down. Also you can try the luminance as well.

DaveHoffmanPhotography​.Com (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 04, 2010 22:31 as a reply to  @ bucket772's post |  #4

Like Tim said - easiest way is either in DPP or ACR use the white balance tool and click on her shirt.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 04, 2010 22:31 |  #5

Here is a quick edit in PS on your JPEG, using Lab curves to adjust the greenish tint toward magenta. A similar curve was made in b to balance this boost to the apparent saturation. You could go further if you wanted to really fully neutralize the hair, painting in a localized correction on right side hair and neck that is likely picking up heavier color bleed from green foliage.

I also made a little contrast boost in the L.

Kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 04, 2010 23:49 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #6

Here's a quick edit using LAB WP and BP to balance it out in both channels.
I also added some contrast and vibrance, just to get some separation.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 05, 2010 00:14 as a reply to  @ drdiesel1's post |  #7

Well, this is really amazing! Changing the white balance fixed it right up. I tried with both RAW and jpg versions; I like the result I got with the RAW better. (I had no idea that was how the white balance adjustment in DPP worked; I find their documentation leaves a LOT to be desired. So thanks for that plain simple instruction, Dennis.)
So thanks, everybody.
Now can someone tell me why using the RGB adjustment (either in DPP or in Gimp) didn't get that green/blue out?

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 05, 2010 00:30 |  #8

White balance/color temp just works better. You're defining white, rather than trying to manually change colors. I don't know the fundamental reason though, even after reading a book on color.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 05, 2010 00:38 |  #9

ncjohn wrote in post #10478392 (external link)
Well, this is really amazing! Changing the white balance fixed it right up. I tried with both RAW and jpg versions; I like the result I got with the RAW better. (I had no idea that was how the white balance adjustment in DPP worked; I find their documentation leaves a LOT to be desired. So thanks for that plain simple instruction, Dennis.)
So thanks, everybody.
Now can someone tell me why using the RGB adjustment (either in DPP or in Gimp) didn't get that green/blue out?

Any change is best accomplished in RAW. WB is a one step fix.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 05, 2010 03:45 |  #10

WB adjustment to the RAW data works better basically because it is done while the data is still linear. In a rendered image a gamma 2.2 tone curve has been applied which skewers the tonal relationships and makes the math much harder.

Elie / אלי

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 05, 2010 10:43 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #11

It's always best to adjust the WB early on in your raw editor, but occasionally I use a color cast correcting filter in NIK software.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to get the blue out?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.