Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2010 (Monday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2010 23:24 |  #76

My last military deployment gave me the chance to build my equipment list in less than a year. Tax free monies and can't spend it while I was in the sandbox....by actually planning out on what type of photography I will be more engaged in and not cheaping out on the equipment saved me money that I would normally lose on selling and upgrading to a new equipment.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

sponsored links
HighPixel
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 06, 2010 23:42 |  #77

I have a business account and all monies from my photography gets deposited in it. I am starting to get recognized almost every event/sport I attend with people wanting my work.
Once I save enough, I start looking for my next upgrade...
Ron

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

ladywonder
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 07, 2010 00:06 as a reply to  @ HighPixel's post |  #78

Amazing. Congratulations on such magnificent work! Very inspirational.:p

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 07, 2010 01:47 |  #79

I drive old beaters to allow me the luxury of spending on my hobbies. My wife is understanding because I sacrifice to pay for it. And my kids like playing too.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i47.photobucket​.com …f184/frizz1/IMG​_0390E.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i47.photobucket​.com …/f184/frizz1/IM​G_1300.jpg (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2010 01:53 |  #80

Photography is also nice because most of the time the memories and photos you get will be well worth the price of admission in who knows how many years.

It's not like pissing money into cars that really don't get you anything in the long run.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 07, 2010 01:57 |  #81

mikekelley wrote in post #10490864 (external link)
Photography is also nice because most of the time the memories and photos you get will be well worth the price of admission in who knows how many years.

It's not like pissing money into cars that really don't get you anything in the long run.

agree!! my car has a dent, and a smashed front bumper... but I really don't care, I just upgraded to a better camera.. :p

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 07, 2010 01:58 |  #82

mikekelley wrote in post #10490864 (external link)

Amen! If I croak tomorrow my wife could turn my kit for 80% of the money I paid. She might as well just shove my model airplanes in the trash. Maybe 10% if she tried real hard on that stuff.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2010 02:08 |  #83

Hopefully your wife sees you for more than that ;)

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

myjunk
269 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 07, 2010 05:14 |  #84

This is all very "inspirational" and like some of you, I now know what the "secret" is :-)

For me, and where I am situated, it will take me 3x the amount of _saving_ to be able to afford the next purchase. A cup of Starbucks is nearly $10 local dollars.

But the nice thing about lenses, as one of you says is that it has a lower depreciation value and thus, it can be sold off and still nett some income. (actually, for my 24-70 and my flash, based on current market value, I can easily take home a 200mm F2.8)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jul 07, 2010 05:23 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

I kill for a living... or that make a killing for a living?

Or maybe make a living killing... nope....

I live killing for a work? Dang it.

I work for a living and kill time while at work.

yeah that's about it.

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 07, 2010 07:46 |  #86

I used matured U.S. Savings bonds received as gifts. Example: $25 bonds were worth $209 and $100 bonds were worth $711. The commonly believed "worst investment" turned out to be great. The $209 received from a $25 dollar bond would purchase more steaks, more gasoline and a lot more technology equipment today than the $18.75 would have when I received it for high school graduation. Most important: I have L lenses to show for the investment and my patience.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 07, 2010 08:20 |  #87

I have battling hobbies, making it hard to know which to invest in when I end up with a little extra money. Good guitars are expensive. I lust after a Martin HD-28, but it's $2400, and the D-45V I'd really love to have is $8200. That's a lot of camera gear, but I do play guitar every day. I settled on a lesser model that sounds quite nice and I'm not afraid to play it for fear of dinging it.

I save my pocket change and end up with ~$300 at the end of the year, I never do Starbucks, but I'm guilty of having full satellite TV and other niceties.

It's all relative to your income, really. My sister and BIL run a very successful business, and would have no real problem spending $20K on a hobby. I live a bit more modestly.

There was an issue with my insurance a while back where I thought my gear backpack had disappeared (turned out my mom grabbed it) and I was going to have to make a claim. A couple of my friends were there and heard me saying that there was about $4000 worth of gear in that bag, and they just about flipped. Yet one of them has a $45K truck with $15K invested in modifying it...all of which he's making payments on, with interest. My gear is paid for. :)

flickr (external link)

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 07, 2010 08:38 |  #88

for me its all about managing luxuries
I never go to a salon, I cut my own hair (long layered hair is easy)
don't get pedicures and my fingernails are short, so no need get those painted, I can do it myself, thanks.
my car is paid off, mortgage is small
rarely go to Starbucks or out to eat
At the end of the day, Id rather have the cash to hop on a plane to see friends or get a lens than make sure my hair is cut every 6 weeks or get an expensive coffee every day.

Ed ­ Harp
606 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 07, 2010 08:46 |  #89

I saved $$ from wedding jobs after I paid my bills, and then sold some other lenses bought my 300 f/4L IS. One of the best purchases I've made. Note, I made money from lesser quality lenses which I used to my advantage. An Ef 28-135 IS was my main wedding lens for many years. I went a couple of years without buying a new lens. Of late my goal is to save and get the better IQ glass, otherwise known as L lenses. Though there are a few non-L lenses out there that are exceptional in quality, build and resolution: 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 2.8.

Canon 5D Classic, 30D, 50D, (all gripped) Ef 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 17-40mm F/4 L, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, EF 300mm f/4 L IS, 1.4x ii TC, Canon 500D, Smith-Victor CF300 Carbon Fiber Tripod,BH5 ball head, Manfrotto Neotec Tripod, Manfrotto 322RC2 head

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 07, 2010 08:54 |  #90

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #10491368 (external link)
I kill for a living... or that make a killing for a living?

Or maybe make a living killing... nope....

I live killing for a work? Dang it.

I work for a living and kill time while at work.

yeah that's about it.

darn!!! you are one weird ninja hehehe

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links

29,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.