Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2010 (Monday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!

HighPixel
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 07, 2010 09:02 |  #91

..as for car payments, I drive a classic '82 Volvo242, wife has a '95 Montero and my girl has a '98 Neon....we haven't had a car payment since 1996... If we can't pay cash for something, we don't buy it...Oh, I also ride the CBR also...

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

sponsored links
ladywonder
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 07, 2010 09:10 as a reply to  @ HighPixel's post |  #92

Well my last car payment is August 1st. Then my kids own our car free and clear:D. I could take that monthly payment and set it aside for gear;).
I need to ask my sitter to be a pretend bride with her boyfriend and I need to solicit high school students next year to get grad shots and start making some money myself.:)

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2010 09:21 |  #93

I know I spent a pretty few pennies on my photography hobby, but without it, I don't think I would be able to stay sane!
I'm a young professional with no school loans or no debt. Large expenses of mine are rent, car payment, and girlfriend when I have one (decided not worth the trouble for the time being).

Photography is an expensive hobby... but what hobby isn't? It's only a waste of money if you don't use it. If it gives you that outlet and gives you that passion in life, then I say it's money well spent.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

jdlloyd67
I'm a POTN-aholic!
1,565 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 07, 2010 09:25 |  #94

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];10492178']
Photography is an expensive hobby... but what hobby isn't? It's only a waste of money if you don't use it. If it gives you that outlet and gives you that passion in life, then I say it's money well spent.

I agree completely!

- Dave -
7D | 40D | Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/4L | Canon EF-s 60mm ƒ/2.8 | Tamron 28-75mm ƒ/2.8

DL Digital Images (external link) | Facebook (external link)

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2010 09:42 |  #95

Education. Make a lot more now that I have a Masters degree. Also i guess helps a lot that my degrees are in engineering and I am lucky enough to have landed jobs that gave me good work experiences.

The caveat is that a PhD don't actually get you more money, a lot of times actually a lot less than even a bachelor degree holder will earn if he/she works hard. PhD is sometimes known as "Piled higher and deeper". And a thesis in plural is theses which sounds a lot like feces and is sometimes used as an in joke about grad school in general :)

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 07, 2010 09:54 |  #96

mikekelley wrote in post #10490908 (external link)
Hopefully your wife sees you for more than that ;)

Na,.....That's about it.:D

john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 07, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ friz's post |  #97

Well I've been working since I was 14. I used my credit to purchase all my needed equipment and then paid it off with savings. After that, I started using income from gigs to purchase the good stuff. I have a bunch of video equpipment as I have been doing that since 2006...still photography is fairly new to me. You gotta be smart with your purchases, aka tax write-offs :D

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 07, 2010 11:13 |  #98

good day job usually pays most of my gear.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr sets (external link)
Check out my Modelmayhem port (external link)
500px (external link)

redjamesg
757 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 07, 2010 13:09 |  #99

gotak wrote in post #10492311 (external link)
The caveat is that a PhD don't actually get you more money, a lot of times actually a lot less than even a bachelor degree holder will earn if he/she works hard. PhD is sometimes known as "Piled higher and deeper". And a thesis in plural is theses which sounds a lot like feces and is sometimes used as an in joke about grad school in general :)

Why does this sound so familiar ?

I hold a master in Math and a PhD in Comp. Sci. One thing I've learned is, the higher your education gets the more narrow your field of view becomes, at some point (usualy borderlining PhD) you seem to shift from still having the general perspective of life, to beeing so narrow that it'll only be the specialized field you're capable of thinking within.

(for a metaphor, think taking closeup pictures as opposed to makro)

You loose the perspective of what part of the great picture you're viewing, and focus on the individual crack in the item (think pixel peeping here)

Reflected uppon the working life here, this resembles beeing a brilliant mind within the field of development, to beeing a brilliant mind within research.

Just my $0.02 on the comment ;)

Don't worry Ma'am, We're university students, We know what We're doing.
Stuff | Web (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Feedback

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 07, 2010 15:16 |  #100

The rumours that my husband left me for my geer lust is highly exaggerated. I actually think he left me for another woman. But anyway.....

:D

My cameras made me money. For the money I made, I bought new/better/bigger cameras and lenses.

Oh, and I don't have a life.

It helps.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 07, 2010 22:05 |  #101

redjamesg wrote in post #10493516 (external link)
Why does this sound so familiar ?

I hold a master in Math and a PhD in Comp. Sci. One thing I've learned is, the higher your education gets the more narrow your field of view becomes, at some point (usualy borderlining PhD) you seem to shift from still having the general perspective of life, to beeing so narrow that it'll only be the specialized field you're capable of thinking within.

(for a metaphor, think taking closeup pictures as opposed to makro)

Only to find that your primary/secondary school classmate, who didn't go beyond that school & made a living selling from a food stand, now already had a few fully paid properties & fancy school for his kids and talking about retirement and spending more quality time with his kids.

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

smcclelland
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 08, 2010 00:19 |  #102
bannedPermanently

I make all my money selling zombie apocalypse survival gear. This is all helping to fund the 800mm prime so I don't have to get too close to the zombies to take pictures when they come knocking ;)

Shawn | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,512 posts
Gallery: 311 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 08, 2010 00:49 |  #103

To save money for new gear i do the following..
- Drop small coins and papermoney in a big glassjar i got at home, eventually i will have quite a bit of cash in there.
- I live cheap and alone, eat relatively cheap food and cook most of it myself.
- Never really drink anything.
- I work as a freelance 3D computer graphics artist so that brings in some cash.
- I also work as a janitor from time to time, that's extra money.
- No i don't smoke.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 08, 2010 03:36 |  #104

I only use "found" money for big stuff like lenses. If somebody gives me money for Christmas, it goes into the fund, even if it's only a few bucks. If I earn money from an unexpected source (i.e., not my regular job), I put half in savings and half in the fund. It adds up. And of course it doesn't hurt that I'm old enough to be established in life, nor that I'm frugal about most other things. The specifics don't matter; the attitude does.

The other thing I've learned over the years is that everybody is different and envy gets me nowhere. I met a guy who was briefly a billionaire during the dot-com boom; he mentioned that if something cost less than $50,000 he didn't have to think about it. Yeah, that'd be cool, but I'm not him and I don't want to be. I'll just have to get along with what I have.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 08, 2010 05:39 |  #105

It feels like Blood, Sweat, and Tears! I have to be careful with my choices because I can't just turn around and buy something else if I don't like my choice so I do a lot of research. My wife is very supportive and bought me my ThinkTank Airport Takeoff for Christmas so I would have a roller/backpack bag. I also bought a 40D which was a big mprovement over my 20d after it was o the market for a couple of years and don't know when I will get another body.

Save, Save, Save then use and enjoy! You can't go crazy everytime something new hits the market! In the future I wil probably buy refurbed bodies to save as well but who knows when that will be!

Happy Shooting!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

sponsored links

29,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just wonder where some of you people get the money, wow!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.