Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mirror Replacement

CJSmith
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 08, 2010 17:05 |  #1

I purchased a 5D classic from a POTN member and it arrived today. After the first couple of shots, the viewfinder went dark. When I took the lens off of the camera the mirror almost fell out of the camera.

1) Does Canon still fix the mirror assembly for free, even if it's not the original owner?

2) It is appropriate for me to get my money back from the seller, right? We used regular Paypal, not a gift.

This will be my last time purchasing a used item. Two months ago I bought a 100-400mm from a guy on Craigslist that had a broken image stabilizer. I didn't notice it until the next day and I tried to shoot video. I just got it back from Canon. $350 later and nothing from the seller. I'm not a happy camper.

Thanks for letting me vent.

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
www.OutofChicago.com:external link The Chicago Photography Experience
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 08, 2010 17:50 |  #2

Smthrz wrote in post #10501486 (external link)
I purchased a 5D classic from a POTN member and it arrived today. After the first couple of shots, the viewfinder went dark. When I took the lens off of the camera the mirror almost fell out of the camera.

1) Does Canon still fix the mirror assembly for free, even if it's not the original owner?

2) It is appropriate for me to get my money back from the seller, right? We used regular Paypal, not a gift.

This will be my last time purchasing a used item. Two months ago I bought a 100-400mm from a guy on Craigslist that had a broken image stabilizer. I didn't notice it until the next day and I tried to shoot video. I just got it back from Canon. $350 later and nothing from the seller. I'm not a happy camper.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Check the canon web site.
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …933&keycode=211​2&id=55659 (external link)

I think they do and unless they've changed it since mine was done it didn't matter if you werent the original owner.

The mirror problem is a known 5D potential problem and any search on POTN or Google would have shown you that before you bought it.

I don't think its cause for returning anything.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sickboy11
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 08, 2010 17:52 |  #3

WaltA wrote in post #10501679 (external link)
Check the canon web site.
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …933&keycode=211​2&id=55659 (external link)

I think they do and unless they've changed it since mine was done it didn't matter if you werent the original owner.

+1

Just bought a used 5D a few weeks ago. Took it to Canon Irvine and they performed the mirror replacement, gave me the shutter count, and cleaned the sensor at no cost.

TheExpertAmateur
187 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 08, 2010 18:07 |  #4

sickboy11 wrote in post #10501688 (external link)
+1

Just bought a used 5D a few weeks ago. Took it to Canon Irvine and they performed the mirror replacement, gave me the shutter count, and cleaned the sensor at no cost.

+2
I am in the process of buying a used 5d. I called Canon and they will do the mirror fix for free along with shutter count, cleaning, and general checkup. Shipping is covered as well if you give them a call first. They will send you a UPS label. I don't see this as a reason to return the camera, it is somewhat common hence the reason for the recall.

Galleries - http://www.theexpertam​ateur.com (external link)http://blog.theexperta​mateur.com (external link)

CJSmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 08, 2010 18:56 as a reply to  @ TheExpertAmateur's post |  #5

Well, that's all good to hear. I did know that it's a known problem. I just didn't expect it to come off after 2 or 3 shots of owning it. Man, how would you feel? The thing that stinks is that I am leaving for my vacation next Friday and would love to have it then. I guess in the whole scheme of things that wouldn't be the end of the world. Well, thanks everyone for keeping me from freaking out about this. :)

Your responses here and your help make me realize how lucky I am to be a part of this forum.

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
Flickrexternal link

CJSmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 08, 2010 19:17 |  #6

TheExpertAmateur looks like an expert on this one. I called Canon and they're doing exactly what he described.

Flickrexternal link

JMS803
479 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 08, 2010 19:25 |  #7

just got mine done, got it back in like 2 days, plus they replaced the scratched LCD cover, awesome service.

-Joe
5D / 35mm f/2 IS/ 17-40 f/4 /50 1.8 / 70-200 f/4 /100 f/2 / 430ex
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/joesoriero/ (external link)

samurairx7
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 08, 2010 21:42 |  #8

what? when i sent my in for the mirror problem they didn't clean my sensor or anything... (T_T)

at least my baby is fixed =)

efciv
35 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 10, 2010 21:13 as a reply to  @ samurairx7's post |  #9

See my Kudos to Canon post. Different problem, but great service.

sponsored links

4,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mirror Replacement
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.