Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 08 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D classic vs. T2i for indoor sports

evanger371
309 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 08, 2010 19:50 |  #1

I have an opportunity to be a 2nd shooter for an indoor soccer (futsal) tournament in November but am not much of a sports photographer. Actually I have practially no experience as my interests are predominantly landscapes, architecture, and macro. I have a 1D classic and a 550D (T2i) and don't know which I might practice with between now and then to produce the best results. I only recently acquired the 1D and have yet to appreciate all it has to offer. Any and all input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Q1: Because they represent two very different eras and DSLR capabilities which would you use for shooting this event and why?

Q2: Since this kind of photography has different lens requirements, which of the following lenses would you pair with the body selected above?

Lenses I have available are in my sig/list below.

sponsored links
mikerosal
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 08, 2010 20:06 |  #2

Why not use both?

Ill probably combine 1dc with the 85mm and the 70-200mm with the t2i. I get a max range and a intermediate zoom without having to change lenses.

Canon 40D | 17-85 | 55-250mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 70-200mm f/4 L

evanger371
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 08, 2010 20:14 |  #3

Thanks Mike. I hadn't mentioned that I have a 100-400L on the way. Would you use this over the 70-200 for the "max range"? Would you still pair it with the T2i for ISO/resolution reasons or pair it with the 1Dc for the AF knowing that you're giving up res at a longer range?

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 08, 2010 20:15 |  #4

I would be concerned about the lighting, unless you're allowed strobes. I would use which ever body gives the least noise at high ISO.

You mention that your main interstes are landscapes, etc.. So were mine. I had no intrest in sports but now I shoot for several teams, It's addictive, just as photography in general is.:lol:

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 08, 2010 22:48 |  #5

Not from an indoor event, but here are actual pictures from a T2i taken at a night sporting event illuminated by floodlights and at high ISO.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO equiv: 3200

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO equiv: 3200

Sometimes, images such as these, generated at actual events under low-light conditions, can be used to demonstrate the capacity of a camera under these conditions -- in this case, a T2i at high ISO with the camera in Program AE and Auto ISO mode and the high ISO set at 6400. From recent experience, however, these images will make someone on this forum unhappy.

evanger371
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 08, 2010 23:04 |  #6

Thanks for the visual DC. If you had to shoot this exact same event again with the T2i and either a 70-200 f4 or 85 f1.8 which would you choose? My sense for light is not good enough to know how your shots would come out without the extra stop.

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 09, 2010 02:30 |  #7

1d has crappy high iso (in today's standards), but iso 1000 is still very useful. 550d has most likely good high iso, but af is useless for sport. So in my opinion only option to go is 1d. It's better to have some noise then photos that are not sharp. Even if you would use both bodies, go with 1d for long lens. Af is much more delicate on long lens then on wide angle lens.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

evanger371
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 09, 2010 09:59 |  #8

Thanks Primoz .. this helps me pair them.

sponsored links

4,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D classic vs. T2i for indoor sports
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.