Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 04:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice needed: Wide gamut or not?

RaZe42
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 10, 2010 04:52 |  #1

Up until now I've been editing all my images on a 15" TN laptop screen, and I feel I'm not getting the best out of my images because of the horrible screen.

After the summer I'm about to build a desktop computer, and I'm trying to choose a screen for it.

The question is: Should I go for a 24" Dell U2410/HP LP2475 wide gamut monitor, or should I save some money(and probably some hassle) by sticking to sRGB and getting a Viewsonic VP2365 or similar IPS monitor?

I don't mind a 22" or 23" screen, but I want at least 1920x1080 resolution, and all the wide gamut screens I've seen in that size segment are 1680x1050.

The Dell U2410 is much cheaper than the HP, but it still costs 4000 SEK(Dell doesn't sell displays in Finland, I have to import them from Sweden). For that cost I could almost get two 22" sRGB IPS monitors.

I'll be running Linux on this computer, and I have no experience with color management in Linux. Does anyone here have experience with Linux color management?

I'm also interested in starting printing my own photos, and that's one of the reasons wide gamut is tempting.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro
My modest Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 10, 2010 07:41 |  #2

RaZe42 wrote in post #10509975 (external link)
I'll be running Linux on this computer, and I have no experience with color management in Linux. Does anyone here have experience with Linux color management?

I've never tried to calibrate my monitor before so I can't give you any detail instructions, but the following two softwares should help you out:

- dispcalGUI (http://hoech.net/dispc​alGUI/ (external link)). A graphical frontend to Argyll CMS
- Argyll CMS (http://www.argyllcms.c​om (external link)). Command line color management system.

That should get you started.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 10, 2010 07:54 as a reply to  @ cedm's post |  #3

I actually found ArgyllCMS/dispcalGUI just after my post(though wikipedia). They're installed now, and seem quite functional, but they're not much use without a colorimeter.

Speaking of colorimeters, I'll have to get one, but the ones that are recommended on this forum are out of my price range. Does the Spyder 3 Express handle wide gamut displays? ( No worries about Linux compatibility, I'll have Windows installed too)

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 10, 2010 08:14 |  #4

RaZe42 wrote in post #10510345 (external link)
Does the Spyder 3 Express handle wide gamut displays? ( No worries about Linux compatibility, I'll have Windows installed too)

Beisdes the ColorMunki, the Spyder3 colorimeter is the ONLY device which can handle wide gamut displays. The Spyder3 Express will be adequate for calibrating a consumer level wide gamut LCD.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 10, 2010 08:25 |  #5

Thank you Chas. Just the answer I was looking for.

I see that you're quite active on this part of the forum, and I appreciate your willingness to help.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 10, 2010 10:04 |  #6

RaZe42 wrote in post #10510405 (external link)
I see that you're quite active on this part of the forum, and I appreciate your willingness to help.

I'm always glad to help with stuff I have hands on experience with. I do some tech support for a huge real estate company and I field help calls and emails constantly.

Regarding the Spyder3 hardware... that is a colorimeter that is supported by just about every third party monitor calibration software out there. I rarely have need to use it, but I still keep a Spyder3 Express device in my equipment cabinet.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 10, 2010 13:17 |  #7

ChasP505 wrote in post #10510382 (external link)
Beisdes the ColorMunki, the Spyder3 colorimeter is the ONLY device which can handle wide gamut displays. The Spyder3 Express will be adequate for calibrating a consumer level wide gamut LCD.

Are you sure about that... EyeOne Display2 should be fine for wide gamut displays also.

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 14, 2010 11:39 |  #8

BluewookieJim wrote in post #10511559 (external link)
Are you sure about that... EyeOne Display2 should be fine for wide gamut displays also.

It certainly seems to work on my Dell 2408.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2010 16:38 |  #9

BluewookieJim wrote in post #10511559 (external link)

The iOne Display 2 will create a very usable profile, but it may be off as compared to a colorimeter with filters tuned for wide gamut displays. I see it as trying to measure something 12 feet high when you only have a 10 foot tape measure. The first ten feet is very accurate, but that remaining 2 feet is questionable.

Most of the high end monitors (Eizo, Quato, LaCie, NEC) are available with tuned hardware and software for an integrated calibration system. The special X-Rite colorimeter which is part of NEC's Spectraview II system (external link), is nothing more than an iOne Display v.2 colorimeter with specially tuned filters for use with NEC's wide gamut displays.

Chas P

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2010 19:04 |  #10

Not trying to be a jerk, but I can't find any concrete evidence that the i1d2 does not correctly handle wide gamut displays. Is there anything you can point me at?

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 14, 2010 20:17 |  #11

BluewookieJim wrote in post #10537616 (external link)
Not trying to be a jerk, but I can't find any concrete evidence that the i1d2 does not correctly handle wide gamut displays. Is there anything you can point me at?

I don't want to be a jerk either, but I've been reading this data for years from color scientists and color management authorities. I am severely physically handicapped and searching for reference sources for you is quite fatiguing.

Chas P

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,134 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 14, 2010 20:28 |  #12

In this day and age where the camera and some printers color abilities outshine the monitors,. I would definitely pay the extra.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2010 22:12 |  #13

ChasP505 wrote in post #10537956 (external link)
I don't want to be a jerk either, but I've been reading this data for years from color scientists and color management authorities. I am severely physically handicapped and searching for reference sources for you is quite fatiguing.

Whatever. Thanks for sharing information.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 15, 2010 08:04 |  #14

BluewookieJim wrote in post #10538605 (external link)
Whatever. Thanks for sharing information.

Don't be lazy.... A 30 second Google search turned up this:

http://luminous-landscape.com …17&view=findpos​t&p=273682 (external link)

I'm not talking about "good" and "bad"... I'm talking about "acceptable" vs. "preferable". Many high end monitors use the iOne Displayv2 puck as part of their calibration system, but the proprietary calibration software has matrices built in to adjust for the behavior of the iOne hardware. Same with the older X-Rite DTP-94/Monaco Optix Pro colorimeter (which I adamantly believe is better than the iOne Display 2). My opinion is, if you already own an iOne Display 2 and you acquire a wide gamut monitor, just use it. But if you buy a wide gamut monitor and now need a calibration system, consider the ColorMunki or a Spyder3.

Chas P

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 15, 2010 15:09 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10538022 (external link)
In this day and age where the camera and some printers color abilities outshine the monitors,. I would definitely pay the extra.

Yup. It's not like you buy a new monitor every year, and I figured it's worth investing in considering I'll be looking at it a lot.

So wide gamut it is. :)

I'm thinking Dell U2410. Any votes against it? Words of wisdom?

sponsored links

5,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice needed: Wide gamut or not?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.