Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 15:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

550D question on AF point selection

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 10, 2010 15:39 |  #1

Hi, I own a 40D and to select the AF point is relatively easy. A friend from Australia paid us a visit and I noticed that a fair amount of her photographs were focused on the wrong subject. I suggested changing the point to help the camera. This was however at the end of her journey and she had to fly back before we could look in the manual. A quick Google:

"Holding the + key, look thru the viewfinder, and use the dial to change the AF point."

I downloaded the sales brochure to see the back of the camera and the only plus key is on the top right hand side. The one used to zoom in and out of pre-view shots. Is this correct and what dial do they talk about?

My 40D seems to work easier than this setup. When she lands on the other side I want to send an email over there with some advice. A page number in the manual will also help.

Thanks

DRH

sponsored links
David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 10, 2010 15:56 |  #2

Here is an example. The zebra are drinking water and was the main subject, but at closer inspection, the twigs on the far bank are in focus. The camera selected the grass and left the zebra out of focus.

DRH

DazJW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 10, 2010 16:12 |  #3

You press the plus key (which has silver markings above it to show it's the AF point button too) then you can either look into the viewfinder or look at the screen on the back of the camera and use either the dial behind the shutter button or the arrow buttons around the SET button to select the points.
It's explained on page 68 of the manual.

It's more awkward than the XXD cameras because the XXXD isn't really aimed at people who'll be changing the AF point manually a lot.

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 10, 2010 16:20 |  #4

Thanks a mil, DazJW. It saves me downloading the full manual to search for this option. Will send the page number and instructions across.

DRH

DazJW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 10, 2010 16:26 |  #5

No worries.
One other thing I should add is that it has to be in a 'Creative zone' mode - Av, Tv, M or P.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,180 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2010 16:28 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #6

Note that you have to venture into the land of the complex settings for this to work. In other words, the green box or any of the little picture modes will not allow you to select the focus points.

Use Av, Tv or whatever at that end of the dial.

I could have saved myself from writing this.

Anders

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 10, 2010 16:35 |  #7

apersson850 wrote in post #10512396 (external link)
Note that you have to venture into the land of the complex settings for this to work. In other words, the green box or any of the little picture modes will not allow you to select the focus points.

Use Av, Tv or whatever at that end of the dial.

I could have saved myself from writing this.

Thanks, I found the silver markings and it is good to know you need to be Av,Tv or M and so on. On my 40D I never go to the JPG only options. We already discussed the RAW option and I mentioned that she should go there. This will obviously provide AF point selection as well as the ability to adjust exposures and so on before making JPGs.

DRH

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,180 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2010 16:38 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #8

The newer cameras allow RAW in the symbolic modes as well.
As far as I remember, you can't select AF points in CA mode either.

Anders

Canon ­ Max
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 10, 2010 17:42 |  #9

I dont really touch CA, It looks basic yet appears complicated

I use P Mode

Canon EOS 500D
Lens: 18-55mm EFS IS

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 11, 2010 03:18 |  #10

The initial step into that part of the dial should 10 to 1 be P mode. It reduces the amount of decisions and at least gets the exposure levels within limits. Another thing may be to select the centre focus point and leave it there for a while. The two thirds rule is something one can cover at a later stage.

In the zebra example, this would have showed in-focus zebras.

DRH

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,180 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2010 07:02 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #11

They'd still be striped, though. ;)

Anders

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 11, 2010 13:41 |  #12

And I thought the stripes were due to heavy banding as a result of the focus issues :-)

Not a problem... it now looks more like Africa :-)

DRH

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 11, 2010 18:23 |  #13

Canon provide an additional accesory called the "Users Manual"
Sometimes that is a good place to start.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

David ­ Ransley
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 12, 2010 01:42 |  #14

philwillmedia wrote in post #10517642 (external link)
Canon provide an additional accesory called the "Users Manual"
Sometimes that is a good place to start.

Phil, no problem and I am the first one there :-) My 40D manual in this case was of little value sorry. The situation was further complicated by my friend being in Australia and I am sitting in Africa :-)

I thought I should download the 550D manual from Canon, but asked the questions first :-)

My apologies :-)

DRH

sponsored links

3,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
550D question on AF point selection
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.