Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website C&C please...

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 14, 2010 09:30 |  #1

Hey Ya'll,
Geezz...my brains are so scrambled here lately that I completely forgot. I finally got the website back up and running again! For those who may remember the last incarnation, it hasn't really changed too much...it's on a new server (that appears to be stable) and I have added a few new images and fixed a few bugs with the Flash, etc...although I'm still having problems with folks viewing it in Internet Explorer so please use Firefox or Netscape before you make any formatting comments...I already -know- the formatting is screwed up in IE.

I will probably be adding one more category soon, "Transportation" but that's going to require an over-haul of the menus and such so I'm kind of dragging my feet on that at the moment. I'm not really looking forward to sitting here for two days tweaking HTML but I'll try and fix the formatting issues with IE when I finally do.

Anyways, I'd love to hear some thoughts and comments on both the website itself and of course my work...I've intentionally kept the website itself pretty basic so as to put the emphasis on the photography. Lemme know what ya think and as always PLEASE be detailed...comments such as "I like it" or "It sucks" really aren't helpful at all! If anything catches your eye, either good or bad, please let me know. The URL is;

http://www.walczakphot​o.99k.org (external link)

As always, thanks!
Jim

(p.s. I just checked the website and things seem to be running a bit slow today so please be patient while waiting for things to load...thanks!)

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 14, 2010 09:39 |  #2

HA! I checked out the website first, and then went back and read your post. Good thing I did becasue I was going to tell you that there was not much to the site asthetically, but I think it serves it's purpose which is to showcase your work. Also I was going to say that in IE7 the photos cover up your contact info. Guess I wasn't much help! Nice work Jim :cool:

BTW I only checked out the People and the Music sections. Most of the music photos seem soft for some reason. Oh and I might slow down the side scroll just a tad, those images just want to keep on movin!

JS

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 14, 2010 10:34 |  #3

john stakes wrote in post #10534162 (external link)
HA! I checked out the website first, and then went back and read your post. Good thing I did becasue I was going to tell you that there was not much to the site asthetically, but I think it serves it's purpose which is to showcase your work. Also I was going to say that in IE7 the photos cover up your contact info. Guess I wasn't much help! Nice work Jim :cool:

BTW I only checked out the People and the Music sections. Most of the music photos seem soft for some reason. Oh and I might slow down the side scroll just a tad, those images just want to keep on movin!

JS

I agree about the scroll.its hard to catch!
I checked out people and animals.the folks look mainly very sharp, but alot of the beasts look like they suffer from maybe compression Jim?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Walczak ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 14, 2010 10:53 |  #4

Flo wrote in post #10534402 (external link)
I agree about the scroll.its hard to catch!
I checked out people and animals.the folks look mainly very sharp, but alot of the beasts look like they suffer from maybe compression Jim?

Yea...I think you're seeing some artifacts from compression on some of the critter shots. I got lazy there...instead of digging out the original shots to use to build the slide shows, I used jpgs that I had posted around the internet so yea, you theres Flash compression on top of jpg compression. It was just easier to find pics I had posted on the net than digging thru my desk drawer looking for the originals as some of those are rather old shots such as the foxes which were taken 4 years ago. I -know- I have the original files somewhere but at this point I'm afraid it may take an archeological expedition to find those disks! My desk drawers scare me...there's things living in there that have evolved foreign language skills! LOL!!!!! I swear the last time I opened my bottom drawer, something demonic popped it's head out and said "Zuul".

The scroll speed is built in to my Flash software (I think). I know that if you move the mouse slowly across the menus, they scroll slowly but if you move right to the edge, yea...it zips right across. I'll have to take a closer look at that too. I've got some new software that I haven't played with yet so I may be able to do something better with it.

I was hoping I could get away with it but I guess not... Ok...making mental note for next over-haul. Fix compression issues and look at scrolling. Thanks!

Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

Mike787
222 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 14, 2010 12:47 as a reply to  @ Walczak Photo's post |  #5

Simple can be done in many ways (someone posted this the other day as thier favorite local photographer and I love it - simple: http://carlzochphotogr​aphy.com/ (external link)). I'm still new to photography but I've been messing around with websites for quite some time. I always suggest one of these WYSIWYG services:

www.wix.com (external link)

or

www.squarespace.com (external link)

Canon EOS 1000D | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG II | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6
My Flickr (external link)

crsnwby
57 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2010 14:08 as a reply to  @ Mike787's post |  #6

The pictures are good but the site if your going to use it to get youself business says amature...

Let me know if you want a site for photo work I will make you a sample and if you like it you can buy it... VERY cheap..

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 14, 2010 14:18 |  #7

Walczak Photo wrote in post #10534525 (external link)
Yea...I think you're seeing some artifacts from compression on some of the critter shots. I got lazy there...instead of digging out the original shots to use to build the slide shows, I used jpgs that I had posted around the internet so yea, you theres Flash compression on top of jpg compression. It was just easier to find pics I had posted on the net than digging thru my desk drawer looking for the originals as some of those are rather old shots such as the foxes which were taken 4 years ago. I -know- I have the original files somewhere but at this point I'm afraid it may take an archeological expedition to find those disks! My desk drawers scare me...there's things living in there that have evolved foreign language skills! LOL!!!!! I swear the last time I opened my bottom drawer, something demonic popped it's head out and said "Zuul".

The scroll speed is built in to my Flash software (I think). I know that if you move the mouse slowly across the menus, they scroll slowly but if you move right to the edge, yea...it zips right across. I'll have to take a closer look at that too. I've got some new software that I haven't played with yet so I may be able to do something better with it.

I was hoping I could get away with it but I guess not... Ok...making mental note for next over-haul. Fix compression issues and look at scrolling. Thanks!

Jim

Thats insanely hilarious!!!:lol::lol:

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links

1,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website C&C please...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.