Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2012 08:54 |  #4096

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13649253 (external link)
The pictures are very clear, but I still have two coments. I like to see more flow how you get from room to another. That means you should use a wider part of your zoom. Buyers have not seen the interior and want to have an idea.
You should also concentrate more on the rooms and forget the furniture. To many realtors think taken pictures of interiors is taken pictures of furniture. Prospective buyers are more interested in a house and at the time escrow closes the home is empty.
I have more than 25 years real estate experience.

Thank you for your comments but could you show me an example from your own photography?

DaveKosiba wrote in post #13650188 (external link)
Excellent pictures Joe!

Thank you Dave

todmac wrote in post #13650394 (external link)
Very nice shots Joe! and I'm not sure how you could have shown "how you get from room to another" anymore than you did in shots 3, 6 & 7 ... and I don't have any real estate experience ;)

Thank you todmac. I am not certain either and asked for an example picture.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2012 09:52 |  #4097

Hey Joe, your photos are great as they are. The composition is great! You captured each area with very good light and made sure the 'features' of the rooms where shown (wood floors, tile floors, etc). Shooting RE is NOT about wide shots that show multiple rooms, it is about capturing the features of the home and enticing online viewers to want to come see it. You did just that.

And that comment about the home being vacant when escrow closes...LOL....that is completely irrelevant when it comes to shooting RE. It is important to show how the furniture works in a room so that online viewers can visual the space better. This is why the best RE agents stage homes, because it helps to sell them. Go into any builder model home, is it vacant or does it have furniture? Enough said about that. LOL

You did a really nice job on these photos Joe! The only critique I would have is I would have liked to see a 'feature' photo from the kitchen. It looks like it has upgraded appliances/features, if it does, make sure you capture that. You may have one and just didn't show it, but I know I would like to see a close up of those things. Someone with taste will know the difference and it could be the very thing that gets them into the home. Even if the these things are standard for the neighborhood, it is still good to point it out to online viewers that are not familiar with the neighborhood.

My favorite shot is the one with the tile floor and the stairs. That is a cool shot!

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2012 10:05 |  #4098

TGrundvig wrote in post #13650889 (external link)
Hey Joe, your photos are great as they are. The composition is great! You captured each area with very good light and made sure the 'features' of the rooms where shown (wood floors, tile floors, etc). Shooting RE is NOT about wide shots that show multiple rooms, it is about capturing the features of the home and enticing online viewers to want to come see it. You did just that.

And that comment about the home being vacant when escrow closes...LOL....that is completely irrelevant when it comes to shooting RE. It is important to show how the furniture works in a room so that online viewers can visual the space better. This is why the best RE agents stage homes, because it helps to sell them. Go into any builder model home, is it vacant or does it have furniture? Enough said about that. LOL

You did a really nice job on these photos Joe! The only critique I would have is I would have liked to see a 'feature' photo from the kitchen. It looks like it has upgraded appliances/features, if it does, make sure you capture that. You may have one and just didn't show it, but I know I would like to see a close up of those things. Someone with taste will know the difference and it could be the very thing that gets them into the home. Even if the these things are standard for the neighborhood, it is still good to point it out to online viewers that are not familiar with the neighborhood.

My favorite shot is the one with the tile floor and the stairs. That is a cool shot!

Thank you for your kind remarks. Point made, I should get more of the features in my photographs and unfortunately, I did not. But I will add it to the next shoots I get. I think it will be an added bonus when my agents see those.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 05, 2012 10:13 |  #4099

Nice shots Joe. My only technical nitpick is that a couple of them show quite a bit of barrel distortion, though this is easily fixed in post, but that is one of those things that is going to separate you from the cheap crowd. get all the lines arrow-straight at all times.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2012 10:18 |  #4100

mikekelley wrote in post #13651001 (external link)
Nice shots Joe. My only technical nitpick is that a couple of them show quite a bit of barrel distortion, though this is easily fixed in post, but that is one of those things that is going to separate you from the cheap crowd. get all the lines arrow-straight at all times.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, I'll work on that for my next shoot and post the results here.

Feedback

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2012 12:07 as a reply to  @ post 13650394 |  #4101

Hey Joe, nice photos - I like that staircase!

The composition/perspectiv​e of your photos is great. I really appreciate the fact that most of your shots are representative of the view an occupant might have while actually using the room (or in the case of Photo #1, while approaching the property).

To my eye, real estate photos fall into distinct groups. One group might be the photos that portray an "inventory" (clearly show room sizes, bathroom fixtures, cabinet space, dining room seating, exterior amenities, siting, etc.) and another group might show the "mood" of the property (architectural details including colors, patterns and textures, landscaping themes, etc.) but the category of photos I like best are the ones that convey the feeling of living in the house (or working in or patronizing the commercial space). I'm probably pickier than most viewers but I don't like to see the groups intermingled. For example,it's a bit unsettling to see the morning view from bed immediately followed by an elevated fisheye view of the master bathroom. (Possibly because it reminds me of those mornings when I feel pretty good until I stand up and remember the last night's party.)

Even though it's exactly the opposite of a linear approach to evaluating a property, I like marketing publications (brochures, websites, etc.) that present the groups in a bass-ackwards order, i.e. mood photos first, "immersion" photos next, and then the images showing the inventory. Follows from the old axiom about selling the steak by marketing the sizzle.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2012 12:13 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #4102

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

That's what I would call over-sized matting!!! I would never, in a million years, think of going that drastic but now that I've seen it, I like it.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2012 12:20 |  #4103
bannedPermanent ban

Ahahaha...I have a 30x40 frame..and a 4x6 photo...improvise!

Also, I have a shoot this weekend with a really small house, like <750 sq feet, this is going to be interesting

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2012 12:36 |  #4104

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13651718 (external link)
Also, I have a shoot this weekend with a really small house, like <750 sq feet, this is going to be interesting

Hope they have lots of mirrors! It's hard to take interior photos of a small house without having them look like photos of only a bed, a couch, a dining table, and a stove.

I just started reading this thread (and am only on page 28!). Has anyone posted tips for shooting in small spaces?

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 05, 2012 12:41 |  #4105

Focus on details.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2012 12:53 |  #4106
bannedPermanent ban

thanks, I'm working with a 24-70 on a 5D but I'm thinking I might want to grab my friend's 17-55..24 is wide enough for decent sized houses but I think I'll feel a bit limited for this one.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2012 13:02 |  #4107

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13651853 (external link)
thanks, I'm working with a 24-70 on a 5D but I'm thinking I might want to grab my friend's 17-55..24 is wide enough for decent sized houses but I think I'll feel a bit limited for this one.

Can you use the 17-55mm on a 5D?

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 05, 2012 13:03 |  #4108
bannedPermanent ban

oh..idk maybe not, never actually seen the lens before, never considered that it might not be EF-S..I suppose I could use it on my 1D and get 22mm..or wait, I forget if you can use those lenses on anything other than 1.6

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2012 13:09 |  #4109

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13651908 (external link)
oh..idk maybe not, never actually seen the lens before, never considered that it might not be EF-S..I suppose I could use it on my 1D and get 22mm..or wait, I forget if you can use those lenses on anything other than 1.6

The 17-55mm is an ef-s mount.

You cannot use it on full frame.

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2012 13:12 |  #4110

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13651648 (external link)
Hey Joe, nice photos - I like that staircase!

The composition/perspectiv​e of your photos is great. I really appreciate the fact that most of your shots are representative of the view an occupant might have while actually using the room (or in the case of Photo #1, while approaching the property).

To my eye, real estate photos fall into distinct groups. One group might be the photos that portray an "inventory" (clearly show room sizes, bathroom fixtures, cabinet space, dining room seating, exterior amenities, siting, etc.) and another group might show the "mood" of the property (architectural details including colors, patterns and textures, landscaping themes, etc.) but the category of photos I like best are the ones that convey the feeling of living in the house (or working in or patronizing the commercial space). I'm probably pickier than most viewers but I don't like to see the groups intermingled. For example,it's a bit unsettling to see the morning view from bed immediately followed by an elevated fisheye view of the master bathroom. (Possibly because it reminds me of those mornings when I feel pretty good until I stand up and remember the last night's party.)

Even though it's exactly the opposite of a linear approach to evaluating a property, I like marketing publications (brochures, websites, etc.) that present the groups in a bass-ackwards order, i.e. mood photos first, "immersion" photos next, and then the images showing the inventory. Follows from the old axiom about selling the steak by marketing the sizzle.

Thank you for adding your perspective of RE photography, it is very interesting indeed.

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13651684 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cacawcacaw in
./showthread.php?p=136​51684&i=i78017903
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

That's what I would call over-sized matting!!! I would never, in a million years, think of going that drastic but now that I've seen it, I like it.

Well...they were a pretty artsy couple.

Feedback

sponsored links

2,065,260 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.