Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

GDH
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 07, 2012 21:52 |  #4156

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13663771 (external link)
Alright, here's what I have..I'm feeling kind of sick about these, it was my first house, wasn't staged the best, didn't have a whole lot of time, worst time of day for light, and I'm sure there's a lot about shooting real estate that I don't know..if you can think of any ways I can improve these before I send them to the agent please let me know.

QUOTED IMAGE

The litter box in the photo will drive away a lot of potential buyers. Be careful of the personal items you capture in a house photo.

Canon 5Diii, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8, 50.

sponsored links
GDH
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 07, 2012 21:59 |  #4157

On the topic of stills vs video vs virtual tour vs interactive floor plan, they all have their place if you think about who your customer is. A lot of sellers hire an agent based on the buzzers and whistles they offer, be it floor plans, video, etc. How many of these special features sell houses is debatable. However, some sellers expect certain toys as a part of their listing. As a Realtor, I get physically sick watching virtual tours because of the distortion. Sellers love em, many buyers don't care. Depends on who your customer is and who you are trying to sell.

Canon 5Diii, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8, 50.

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 07, 2012 22:01 |  #4158

GDH wrote in post #13665612 (external link)
The litter box in the photo will drive away a lot of potential buyers. Be careful of the personal items you capture in a house photo.

Been there, done that. Mine was a bag of cat food that I had moved inside from the front porch so I could get a shot the the front door area. Then I forgot to move it later when shooting the living room.:oops:

Pentax Kx, Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6, Pentax 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, Asahi Pentax-M 1:2 50mm.
See I do own a => Canon Powershot A630, Sigma EF 530 Super.
www.lenbetts.com (external link)

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 07, 2012 22:10 |  #4159

TGrundvig wrote in post #13663024 (external link)
Ronny, just a few critiques for you:

1. You got a lot of converging lines in your photos. Try to get your verticals straight, it makes a world of difference to the eye.

I know some of my pictures are doing that and I just ordered a focus screen with grids from Canon.

2. You also have a lot of shots with clutter in the rooms and on the counter tops, which distracts the eye and takes away from the room and features. Cat food on the floor in a kitchen shot? That has to go.

In one of my writings I mentioned that I always ask the Realtor and owners to clean the home to give me a change to take better pictures. In several situation they just told me to take the pictures as the home shows.

3. Some of your shots look like they are OOF, so you might want to take those off your site. Soft photos are never a good thing in a portfolio.

I take about 80 pictures and let the owner and Realtor to make a selection which ones they like for the MLS.

4. You have one shot with a car in the driveway that takes away from the home as well.

Again owner told me: That is O.K.

5. Some of your shots are underexposed and some of them the flash is too harsh on the foreground. You may want to look into a diffuser to help with the harsh flash.

See my answer on item 3. I have a difusser, the one that slides over the flash head.

On every page of my website I created space for comments and questions.
As I mentioned before nearly all people in the real estate world have no idea about photography. My website and the pictures have only received positive comments.
It has happened several times that they gave me half an hour to 45 minutes of time to do the shoot, while I like to have 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It seams that most of the sellers are happy when their home showed on the internet with 30 to 35 pictures attached.
I guess internet is a new media for Realtors and their clients and they still have to learn and to accept it as a marketing tool. Brokers and Realtors are still spending a lot of $$ to advertise their name and listings in news papers. My broker told me he does that to make the clients happy. It is like a macho feeling to see their home in the Times. But the same sellers are looking on the internet for homes in area where they plan to move.

Thank for the comments.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 07, 2012 22:18 |  #4160

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13664545 (external link)
I've got a story that shows the importance of good photos and the battle you guys face when trying to make a buck taking them.

Our neighbors, close friends, have been thinking about moving from the beach to a horse ranch for many years. A couple of months ago, they fell in love with a place after seeing an ad with just a single photo (an elevated view from a distance), visited the property that day, watched the professionally done slideshow that evening and made an all-cash, no-contingencies offer the next day. They were proud of the slideshow that showed the ranch and made sure that every one of their friends sat down and watched it.

Here's the kicker. They really don't want two homes but they want to get top dollar for the place they're in now. In spite of their need for a quick full-value sale, they're sticking with the realtor's snapshots and figure that they will just wait for the market to come to them. They can easily afford to beef up the marketing of their house but somehow, even though they were sold on the ranch because of a highly professional presentation, they apparently don't think it's necessary for their own sale.

Believe me, your story is not an exeption and there is often no logic in Real Estate.
A seller think his home is worth gold and a buyer think it is a fixer and both want the Realtors to work for peanuts.

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 07, 2012 22:50 |  #4161

You should check out this website for some good starting pointers:

Photography for Real Estate (external link)

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13663771 (external link)
Alright, here's what I have..I'm feeling kind of sick about these, it was my first house, wasn't staged the best, didn't have a whole lot of time, worst time of day for light, and I'm sure there's a lot about shooting real estate that I don't know..if you can think of any ways I can improve these before I send them to the agent please let me know.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2012 23:18 |  #4162

navydoc wrote in post #13665572 (external link)
I had a chance to shoot some interiors today at the Estudillo Mansion located in San Jacinto, Ca. Here's one of the shots.

this is lovely, the mood is right out of the 1940s.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,476 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 07, 2012 23:43 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #4163

Thanks Mike. The mansion is part of the San Jacinto Museum. Here are a couple more shots. I need more practice with wide angle lens distortion correction I think.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

gnwatts
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 08, 2012 00:27 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #4164

A Fire House on Missouri Heights, Co that photographed for the architect.
1DS2 17mm Ts-E

IMAGE: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000dXAvWdJ4HCM/s/950/I0000dXAvWdJ4HCM.jpg

Greg
5DII * 17mm TS-E * 24mm TS-Ell * 17-40mmL * Zeiss 35-70mm * Zeiss 80-200mm
http://gnwatts.photosh​elter.com (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 08, 2012 01:20 |  #4165
bannedPermanent ban

GDH wrote in post #13665612 (external link)

I wasn't allowed to re-stage anything, they set it up how they wanted so they dug their own grave with that.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2012 03:09 |  #4166

Here's what I do when I am faced with a litterbox or cat/dog food bowls: I go up to the litterbox, pick it up and ask where I can hide it. I have never been told that I wasnt allowed to move that. If they ask why, I tell them that this single item can be THE difference between selling and not selling their house...and guess what? They take the litterbox out of my hands and hide it.

* Then I wash my hands and go back to finishing the shoot :D ! My agent is usually impressed by this simple act.

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13666338 (external link)
I wasn't allowed to re-stage anything, they set it up how they wanted so they dug their own grave with that.

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2012 03:10 |  #4167

gnwatts wrote in post #13666197 (external link)
A Fire House on Missouri Heights, Co that photographed for the architect.
1DS2 17mm Ts-E

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice !

Feedback

P12
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 08, 2012 07:03 |  #4168

navydoc wrote in post #13666050 (external link)
Thanks Mike. The mansion is part of the San Jacinto Museum. Here are a couple more shots. I need more practice with wide angle lens distortion correction I think.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

These are really awesome shots. Can you share how you lit them?

I'm currently reading Scott's book on lighting interiors and am learning a lot.

Pentax Kx, Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6, Pentax 18-55 1:3.5-5.6, Asahi Pentax-M 1:2 50mm.
See I do own a => Canon Powershot A630, Sigma EF 530 Super.
www.lenbetts.com (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 08, 2012 07:29 |  #4169

P12 wrote in post #13666909 (external link)
I'm currently reading Scott's book on lighting interiors and am learning a lot.

Which book are you referring to?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,476 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2012 07:41 as a reply to  @ P12's post |  #4170

Thanks. These are all shot in natural light only. They are 7 exposure hdr's at 1.3 Ev spacing which covered the outdoor light as well as the light indoors.

Here's one more shot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links

2,065,463 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.