Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 29, 2012 00:42 as a reply to  @ post 13988263 |  #4621

Seth, Nice photos but they are quite conservative, more journalistic than artistic. The same shots with the store filled with employees and customers would be far more compelling.

But, it's hard to be critical without knowing the purpose of the images. If they are merely technical practice, they look pretty good to me. From an aesthetic viewpoint, I would like them better if each photo had a distinct focal point. Or at least some sign of life.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links
SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 29, 2012 01:37 |  #4622

Thank you! Yea, it really was just for practice. Getting some shots with people should be my next form of practice...

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 29, 2012 05:28 |  #4623

Clients can access their images through smugmug.

If they want a complete "gallery", then smugmug supply a link.

But they can access individual images from your website at will.

This is obviously good because it means you provide an ongoing service they can access, you have just took charge of their data management in regards to images.

This means that anyone in a company can access the images when needed.

From YOUR website...

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 29, 2012 14:56 |  #4624

cacawcacaw wrote in post #13987717 (external link)
That's very cool. Do you find the properties or just shoot them?

The company finds them. Here is LA the movie industry is HUGE so even home owners get lined up to get they're houses shot.

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

mikewoods
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 01, 2012 12:55 |  #4625

Very nice shots. Good light balance. Definitely magazine worthy. You must have a pretty decent lens.

m.s.Woods (external link) Real Estate, LLC in Indianapolis, IN

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 01, 2012 20:50 |  #4626

Hey Everyone,

Here is an image I took of a bedroom. Feel free to give me your impressions as I am learning to use flashes. This is my first attempt at 3 flashes for a single room and having them a different settings. I recently started to use 1 or 2 flashes on manual mode and full power...not the best ! I did some reading on the internet, bought some books and here I am with my first homework/project. It was 7 PM so no sun from windows.

PS: it's not for real estate.

Camera: Canon 5DMkII on tripod
Lens: Canon TS-E 17 MM
Aperture: f8
Exposure time: 1/30 sec
3 different flashes with Pocket Wizards TT1 and TT5s were used for this image:

Canon 430ex II positioned low and to the left of the camera, aimed at side of bed and night table: manual mode, 1/32, 50mm
Canon 580ex II positioned high right of camera, aimed at center of bed: manual mode, 1/2, 24mm
Canon 580ex II positioned low and far right of camera, aimed at desk: manual mode, 1/16, 50mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 01, 2012 21:24 |  #4627

Joe, I think if you turned up the power on the one to the lower left and bounced it off the wall to the left it would have given you a little better light on that side. To be honest, I like it a lot, except for that dark shadow on the left nightstand. This is where I think the higher powered bounce would have helped.

I bought Hargis' eBook and he likes to bounce his flashes a lot. I also know a good RE photog in Breckenridge and he does the same. Except, the guy in Breckenridge will tape a foam board to the wall and bounce off that to keep the light clean. Bouncing off colored walls can be extremely counter-productive as it can cause color casts. Also, the guy in Breckenridge said he pretty much keeps each flash around 1/8 to 1/16 power.

With that said, nice job! Are you using Pockewizards?

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 01, 2012 21:42 |  #4628

That light looks pretty good. Too bad there are no windows to get a nice twilight view or something, and no art on the walls.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 01, 2012 22:01 |  #4629

TGrundvig wrote in post #14002382 (external link)
Joe, I think if you turned up the power on the one to the lower left and bounced it off the wall to the left it would have given you a little better light on that side. To be honest, I like it a lot, except for that dark shadow on the left nightstand. This is where I think the higher powered bounce would have helped.

I bought Hargis' eBook and he likes to bounce his flashes a lot. I also know a good RE photog in Breckenridge and he does the same. Except, the guy in Breckenridge will tape a foam board to the wall and bounce off that to keep the light clean. Bouncing off colored walls can be extremely counter-productive as it can cause color casts. Also, the guy in Breckenridge said he pretty much keeps each flash around 1/8 to 1/16 power.

With that said, nice job! Are you using Pockewizards?

Glad you like S Hargis' book.

I agree with everything you've said...I'm learning.

mikekelley wrote in post #14002524 (external link)
That light looks pretty good. Too bad there are no windows to get a nice twilight view or something, and no art on the walls.

If Mike says he likes the light, then i'm in the right direction ! :D

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2012 15:00 |  #4630

Does anyone have any info on the new 5D3 and it's HDR feature? I've looked up a few sites and I can't seem to find a detailed explanation on it, other than it is listed as a feature. I am curious to know if the camera is taking multiple frames and blending them in camera. I also wonder what the results will be. It would be pretty cool if they could get the camera to expose for shadows, mid tones, and highlights, and then create a single frame from that. Sure would save a lot of time if the results were any good.

It will only be a matter of time before they use a feature like this to allow digital cameras to capture a DR that is double what can be captured now.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 02, 2012 15:12 |  #4631

TGrundvig wrote in post #14008806 (external link)
Does anyone have any info on the new 5D3 and it's HDR feature? I've looked up a few sites and I can't seem to find a detailed explanation on it, other than it is listed as a feature. I am curious to know if the camera is taking multiple frames and blending them in camera. I also wonder what the results will be. It would be pretty cool if they could get the camera to expose for shadows, mid tones, and highlights, and then create a single frame from that. Sure would save a lot of time if the results were any good.

It will only be a matter of time before they use a feature like this to allow digital cameras to capture a DR that is double what can be captured now.

http://www.canon.ca …sroom?m=getPres​s&pid=1994 (external link)

http://web.canon.jp …ng/eosd/samples​/eos5dmk3/ (external link)

Feedback

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2012 15:47 |  #4632

Thanks Joe, this is what I was looking for:

HDR Mode
The EOS 5D Mark III camera features a built-in HDR mode, merging three images at various exposure levels into a single image, in-camera, for stunning photographs of landscapes and architecture with enhanced tonal gradation beyond the range of the naked eye. The exposure levels in the camera’s HDR mode can be set to cover a range of up to ±3 stops, in a choice of five settings: Natural, Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold and Art Embossed providing unique visual effects. Individual source images can be saved as separate files, and the HDR mode has an optional automatic alignment function that can be useful for hand-held shooting. The EOS 5D Mark III’s standard Auto Exposure Bracketing function has been upgraded to allow for up to seven exposures per sequence, and exposure compensation can now be set for up to +/- 5EV.

7 frame option now available in the 5D3....this was one of the main reasons I got the 1Ds2. I really like the 7 frame option.

As for the HDR mode, if I am reading it correctly, it sounds like like you can space the 3 frames 3 stops apart and the camera will combine them AND save them as separate images as well. That could be pretty cool......if it does a good job. It would be really nice to test drive one of these bad boys in a house for a day.

djharmonix
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 02, 2012 22:12 |  #4633

cant wait to get my 5d3! That built -in Hdr looks promising.
I gotta change my avatar now!

Please, click ''LIKE'' on my facebook page for real estate photography! Thank you for your support!http://www.facebook.co​m/photoresidence (external link)

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2012 22:14 |  #4634

I heard the new 5DIII has an Aw mode. Award Winning mode! Just set it to Aw and P&S and you'll win awards!

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 03, 2012 01:04 |  #4635

somehow my setup has grown from 2 speedlites to 2 einsteins and 7 speedlites

and i still want more

this professional is ridiculous

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,067,116 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.