Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DII Infrared modified camera

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 15, 2010 20:59 |  #1

I rented a modified 5DII camera for a week from Lens Rentals. I wanted to offer a brief synopsis of my experience and an image or two. I was pleased that the camera behaves identically to a normal 5DII except for the sensor cleaning hardware which has been removed. The first thing I did was disable auto sensor cleaning in each of the various settings C1-C3 and automatic modes. This bypasses the error concerning the lack of sensor hardware.

In terms of operation this camera works best with normal light levels. It does work at low light but the results are no where near as exciting as normal light levels. The processing was really easy. I basically took raw images and converted them to monochrome in DPP. Fixed the levels and voila white foliage. This camera has been converted to 715nm which results in sharper images according to those who would know. I shot the entire week using a Zeiss 50/1.7 which worked great. I also used a Leica 100mm macro as well though the Zeiss really produces some nice contrast and the 100mm was used exclusively at a small safari park so the comparison isn't precise. I found that I could drive the Columbia River Gorge in late afternoon light and shoot right through my windshield at 55MPH with the 50 on f/8 ISO 200 with excellent results. Not a recommended practice but I made it work and with reasonable safety for all parties.

Here is an image from a conference I attended a few weeks ago at a ranch near Mt Adams. Early morning.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
drewr
224 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2010 21:09 |  #2

I'm sorry, i'm not really familiar with Infrared or whatnot; can you elaborate to me, Why? What is the purpose of modifying a camera specifically for 'Infrared'?

Not having a dig, I just don't know! :)

http://www.flikr.com/d​rewrphoto (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,382 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 15, 2010 22:18 |  #3

IR shots are sometime very eerie but also very cool. Sure you can add filters to your lenses, but that causes grief with focusing and long shutter speeds, etc. Modifying the glass in front of the filter to be an IR filter allows the camera to work in all normal regards (you can see through the viewfinder with no issues, AF works fine, etc) so it behaves like normal, but your shots then come out as IR. It usually means the camera cannot be utilized for any other kind of photography though.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,427 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 16, 2010 03:59 |  #4

drewr wrote in post #10544985 (external link)
I'm sorry, i'm not really familiar with Infrared or whatnot; can you elaborate to me, Why? What is the purpose of modifying a camera specifically for 'Infrared'?

one of the main reasons I'm into it is because different things reflect IR light much differently to normal spectrum light, you can get very depth-seperated subjects (if that makes any sense)
Trees/foliage etc reflect very well whereas harder substance reflect less so.

Post processing can be either for a black&white effect or faux-colour where red & blue channels are swapped, and you end up with a coloured picture.

to give you an idea, some of my recent IR shots are posted here (external link)

Jetcode - that cloud looks surreal! very nice...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 16, 2010 04:04 |  #5

hey but why did you convert those light brown/yellowish photos into BW? I like them bright yellowish though hehehe but Great capture nonetheless

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 16, 2010 09:06 |  #6

monk3y wrote in post #10546613 (external link)
hey but why did you convert those light brown/yellowish photos into BW? I like them bright yellowish though hehehe but Great capture nonetheless

I had my old 10D converted to deep B&W mostly because I prefer the look of the black & white infrared photos. Still, often wish I'd not converted to B&W so I could have a choice but what I get I really like just the same.

Shortly, I'm planning on sending my 5D off to be converted to Super Color Infrared to give me more selection and those can be converted to B&W ... or as I read, just set the camera to B&W mode.

Love shooting IR!!! :D

From my old 10D ...

IMAGE: http://riview.com/IR/0097ir2.jpg

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

jetcode
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 16, 2010 11:04 |  #7

johneo where are you getting your conversions from?
joeseph that is a lenticular cloud and it's a UFO conference and yes I am a believer I have no other choice at this point

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,405 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 16, 2010 11:35 |  #8

drewr wrote in post #10544985 (external link)

Not having a dig, I just don't know! :)

Another reason to shoot IR,..
They LOVE Mid day harsh contrasty sunlight!
When normal smart photographers are packing it in for siesta, since the lighting is so damn bad, you can instead pull out your IR converted DSLR and shoot all you want.
And make some great pictures while you do!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 16, 2010 11:40 |  #9

jetcode wrote in post #10548059 (external link)
johneo where are you getting your conversions from?

Had my 10D converted at www.lifepixel.com (external link)

They now offer Super Color IR so that's what I will have the 5D converted to.

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

jetcode
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 16, 2010 15:43 |  #10

johneo wrote in post #10548236 (external link)
Had my 10D converted at www.lifepixel.com (external link)

They now offer Super Color IR so that's what I will have the 5D converted to.

I think you get a really great infrared from the 10D. I used a photo filter (CS5) to warm the tone a bit though that is one choice and not necessarily the last choice. Did you do any additional filter processing on your raw images?

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 16, 2010 21:11 |  #11

I am also planning to get an IR filter... but decided to get the Sigma 12-24mm as my UWA.. and can't fit an IR filter in this lens so have to wait for a while until I get the Nikkor 24-70mm before I buy the IR filter.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

samurairx7
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 17, 2010 05:10 |  #12

interesting.. =) heard of it but wasn't really into it till now...

jetcode
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 17, 2010 13:57 |  #13

monk3y wrote in post #10546613 (external link)

The red channel is where the information is at 715nm. There is no yellow as there is little blue or green at 715nm.

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 17, 2010 14:08 |  #14

Check out that cloud - or is it a UFO?! Good pics...

Mark
Gear List

bkdc
884 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 17, 2010 16:09 as a reply to  @ pilsburypie's post |  #15

Are you shooting everything stopped down? Ever try IR photography with your lenses wide open? I'm wondering about the focus shift of IR light.

EF 8-15L fisheye | 16-35 f/4L IS | 24-70 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400L II | 35L II | 40 f/2.8 pancake | 50 f/1.8 STM | 100L Macro | 600EX-RT x 3
Tamron 24-70

sponsored links

27,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DII Infrared modified camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.