Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 19 Jul 2010 (Monday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD4000

Flytyer
137 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2010 08:41 |  #1

I know little to nothing about small cameras. I have wondered why the new SD4000 is only a 10mp camera when almost all new cameras are at least 14mp?

jb

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 19, 2010 12:59 |  #2

Well, small sensors with lots of pixels makes for noisier images and poorer high-ISO performance. For HD video the extra pixels are no advantage either. For most of what the typical P&S user does, 10 MP is plenty.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2010 17:49 |  #3

Most people buying point and shoots are still stuck in the Mexapixel mentality.

You have fallen victim, my friend, to the MP Wars. A long time ago you could see the pixels pretty easily. And then came the Megapixel. I had a huge Sony that could shoot 1 megapixel, and it was really cool.

Eventually I got a 3.2 mp Sony, and it took great pictures (many are prints hanging on our walls).

TEN is more than enough. In fact, as Jon above said, more than that is going to actually produce noisier images (fuzz or snow as they call it in TV land).

But many manufacturers are still pushing MP like it's important.

Those days are completely over. Don't even think about MP anymore. Think about ISO performance (no, not the number it can go to). Your priority should be how well the camera performs in low light.

Thank you. bw!

Flytyer
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2010 18:34 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #4

I have fallen to NO wars. I only asked a question. I use the Canon T2i for myself but my Girlfriend was looking and asked the question and I could not answer her. She has a Canon PS A1000IS that she dropped and it still works but some times the lens sticks when she shuts it off. she likes a view finder and the only one we can find that some still have is the PS A1100IS so she asked about the MP difference. I looked at what Canon has listed as NEW and the SD4000 was the only one listed. Hence, I wondered why a NEW model Camera has 10MP. That is why I asked. No Wars or anything else, not even a skirmish.

jb

Teutoburg
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 22, 2010 10:17 as a reply to  @ Flytyer's post |  #5

Hi,

To begin, Canon fitted the SD4000 with a backlit CMOS sensor (instead of the usual CCD sensor) to sell its low-light and night shoot capability. Hence they might have decided to pack in only 10 mega-pixels for all the above reasons.

My wife bought one because she needed a palm-sized compact camera. We compared it against the SX210 IS and S90, eventually deciding on the SD4000 for three reasons -

1) the photos on the SX210 IS, while boasting double the zoom range, were shabby (even in daylight) at high ISO;
2) the SD4000 has faster focusing and operational response compared to the SX210 IS, and;
3) my wife didn't need the full manual controls and RAW output of the S90;

We are happy with what the SD4000 does and recommend it if you happen to be looking for a decent point-and-shoot. Backlit sensors could well be the norm, with all the rumors going around of backlit G12s and S95s coming this September.

Cheers!

Edit: The SD4000 has an f2.0 lens, just like the S90. Some say that the SD4000 is basically an S90 with a different sensor, without the manual controls or RAW output. From comparative photos however, the S90 retains its low light advantage due to the larger sensor used.

Flytyer
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 22, 2010 15:37 as a reply to  @ Teutoburg's post |  #6

Thank you very much. I did read up on the camera and it seems everybody here that answered were right on the nose. Thanks all.:lol:

jb

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 22, 2010 18:18 |  #7

Teutoburg wrote in post #10583107 (external link)
Edit: The SD4000 has an f2.0 lens, just like the S90. Some say that the SD4000 is basically an S90 with a different sensor, without the manual controls or RAW output. From comparative photos however, the S90 retains its low light advantage due to the larger sensor used.

Both have a f/2 lens but they're not the same f/2 lens, according to Dpreview:

The S90 Lens • 28-105mm (35mm equiv)
• f = 6.0 - 22.5 mm
• 3.8x optical zoom
• F2.0-4.9
• Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups 7 elements in 6 groups (2 double-sided aspherical elements including 1 UA element)

The SD4000
Lens • 28-105mm (35mm equiv)
• f = 4.9 - 18.6 mm
• 3.8x optical zoom
• F2.0-5.3
• Construction: 7 elements in 6 groups (1 double-sided aspherical UA lens, 1 single-sided aspherical lens)

Teutoburg
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 23, 2010 00:40 |  #8

@tmwag,

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected on the f2.0 lens comparisons between the S90 and SD 4000.

Cheers!

sponsored links

3,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD4000
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.