Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 05:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does the 21mp 5D2 put out a 2mb Jpeg?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2010 05:47 |  #1

A bit more info:

I shoot raw most of the time.
When I convert this to full sized jpeg in Lightroom I get a 10mb file.

When I shoot in Jpeg I end up with 2mb files even though it's set to full size.

No big deal but can't understand the discrepancy? On looking the pixel dimensions are the same.

Chris Giles Photography

fashioneyes
562 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 20, 2010 06:03 |  #2

The size of JPEGs vary on the subject matter being photographed and the compressions options that the JPEG encoding utilise.

From memory I thought most JPEGS straight from the 5D2 where around the 3-5 Mb size, but like I say it varies greatly on the complexity of the subject matter.

Try taking a picture of a single colour wall with no detail on it and then try taking a picture of a forest/woodland scene with lots of branch/leaf detail.

1D4, 7D, 5D2 + L lenses
Links: Jepson Photography (external link) / Model Portfolio (external link)
A-Plant BSB Team (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2010 06:33 |  #3

Cool, thanks for explaining that.

On another note, I remember seeing there was a colour adjustment page on the web.

Essentially if you have a grey background but it looks blue on camera it would tell you which of the RGB colours to adjust?

Chris Giles Photography

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,869 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 20, 2010 08:46 |  #4

The on-board noise reduction that goes into producing the JPEG may also contribute to the file size as, typically, less noise means smaller file size (more efficient compression).

WRT your "gray background" question - you are referring to White Balance. That is, you need to tell the camera what kind of light you are shooting in to make sure it renders neutrals (grays) neutrally. If a neutral looks too blue, you have your WB set incorrectly - it needs to be more orange/amber/yellow. You don't need to adjust individual colors, just set the white balance properly by choosing the closest preset WB on the camera (Daylight, Tungsten, Shade, Fluorescent, etc.) or use a custom white balance by taking a picture of something you know is neutral and then setting that image as your Custom WB - read the manual to see how you do this. It is very straightforward and takes a few seconds once you get the hang of it.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does the 21mp 5D2 put out a 2mb Jpeg?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.