Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC for 50D?

introvert ­ images
59 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 20, 2010 13:47 |  #1

I'm going to purchase a 50D within the next week or so. I'm also looking for a set of wide-angle lens and the Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC stood out for me in that it seems to be a good option for traveling (and not having to change to my zoom lenses all the time). Has anyone used this combination before? What where your results and feedback?

Thanks for the help!

Canon 20D~~EF 50mm f/1.8 II~~EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II~~ EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon AE-1 (35mm)~~~www.introvertimages​.net~~~

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 20, 2010 14:02 |  #2

My first response is no, no, no and I base this on the fact that you're getting a 50D as an upgrade, I assume?

That sig 18-200 isn't going to make you happy. Sure it has a big zoom range but the Image quality will disappoint in most cases.

I would purchase your wide lens, and get a canon 70-200 F4L for a little bit more than that 18-200 siggy.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

katodog
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 20, 2010 14:08 |  #3

I have the Sigma 18-200mm OS lens and it's a nice lens, works perfectly and gives pretty decent IQ. On a 50D I'd try maybe a lens that had a bit more notoriety, the Sigma is getting kinda old, and you can find Canon lenses that, while maybe not as cheap, will do a much better job. I use my lens on my 40D for car shows, and the shots always come out nice and sharp. I haven't used it much on the 50D, but for the few shots I have it has done just fine.

For the time that I've owned and used the lens, it has yet to disappoint me.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

introvert ­ images
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 20, 2010 19:49 |  #4

Thanks for the replies...both are helpful. I do know that I will need to invest in a set of lens with a wide angle...no less than 18mm. I've heard mixed reviews on Sigma lenses in general but pretty much favorable opinions on Canon. Once I purchase the 50D, don't plan to 'chase technology' and race to get the 7D, 5D II, or even the 60D. I'm confident the 50D will give me plenty to last for quite awhile so it would be wise to invest in the best lens possible.

Canon 20D~~EF 50mm f/1.8 II~~EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II~~ EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon AE-1 (35mm)~~~www.introvertimages​.net~~~

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 20, 2010 19:58 |  #5

What is it you are looking for. A do everything lens? Since you are going 18-200 that's a long range to cover. I'd suggest the 15-85 as it's not going to break the bank and give you a solid performer for the price. It covers a range that is better than your 28-105, and will give you similar or superior coverage. As well you can get a 70-200 later. You will be much happier with the 15-85. I know the price is about 2 times, but you will get a longer life out of the 15-85 than the 18-200. If you rule out the Sigma and lean towards the canon you will certainly be able to go a little higher with the 15-85. Unless I'm way out of your budget?

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC for 50D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.