Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 02:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85 F1.8 - faulty! Anyone with any experience?

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 21, 2010 02:56 |  #1

I’ve owned my Canon 85mm F1.8 for 2 years now, in the two years I’ve owned it, I’ve probably only taken 50 photos, it’s literally brand new and not a single mark or sign of use on it.*
Last night I got it out as my main lens is being repaired only to find the manual focus ring struggles to focus the lens, the outer rubber ring turns but the lens fails to adjust, with some coercing it does move.* If you switch to auto the lens seems to work fine on items close to in focus, but if it wants to go from infinity to say 2m’s it stops half way, if I constantly press the shutter it slowly moves past this sticky point and works OK within this range.
Looks like I might have to send it in to Canon, however, I wondered if it was worth doing so with such a relatively cheap lens?
I’m not totally convinced the motor is faulty, more something out of alignment.* Does anyone have any experience of this?
I‘m tempted to remove a few screws on the barrel to see if this releases part of the outer casing in order for me to have a little look at it.
Thanks

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 21, 2010 03:00 |  #2

If you do send it in to canon, they charge $150 which is half the cost of a lens.

do a search on how to open up lenses and see if someone has opened up an 85 1.8 before you scratch your lens.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 21, 2010 03:22 |  #3

I wouldn't want to open it up to the point of removing any elements, as previous experience tells me it's almost impossible to do so without introducing dust.

I'll have a little search.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 21, 2010 04:46 as a reply to  @ Ross_Curtis's post |  #4

Good luck with this. If you're lucky it's just some grit making the focussing sticky and you may be able to get it out with care. I have no experience of opening up a lens though.

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

914 views & 0 likes for this thread
85 F1.8 - faulty! Anyone with any experience?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.