Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Viewfinder options

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 21, 2010 14:45 |  #1

So I want to try out a viewfinder for video since trying to focus without the magnification seems nigh impossible, but I don't really want to shell out $150+ for the big name manufacturers. What exactly is going on inside a viewfinder, would going cheap and buying a China made viewfinder that accomplishes the same thing from ebay be a bad idea?

And by viewfinder I mean the magnification attachment like the LCDVF.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links
Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 21, 2010 18:04 |  #2

Whelp, I have no patients so I went ahead and bought the ebay version, i'll let you know how it turns out.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

objetda
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 30, 2010 07:52 |  #3

Kento wrote in post #10579493 (external link)
Whelp, I have no patients so I went ahead and bought the ebay version, i'll let you know how it turns out.

http://cheesycam.com/l​cdvf-not-real-deal/ (external link)

Canon Powershot G11 ~ 550EX II / Raynox DCR-1540 / Raynox M-250 / Nikon WC-E75 / Canon WC-DC58N
Canon 5Dii ~ Zeiss PLANAR T* 85mm f1.4 / Helios 44M f2 / Canon 28mm - 135mm

David_S
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 31, 2010 13:01 |  #4

Kento wrote in post #10579493 (external link)

Please do. I almost went that route but ended up going with a hoodman with the hodmag 3x eyecup for less than $120.00 shipped (awaiting arrival). I'm gonna try to rig it up on a pop up lcd cover. I'm just getting started with video so I couldn't justify the cost a z-finder but need a dipoter adjustment since my eyesight is less than perfect. The lack of a diopter kept me away from the lcdvf originals and knock offs.

http://davidsprague.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2010 13:22 |  #5

Well of course the people at LCDVF are going to downplay a cheaper alternative to their product ;) I'll tell you if they were right when I get it... I still have not received it :cry:

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

bobland
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 03, 2010 17:48 as a reply to  @ Kento's post |  #6

My experience is identical to David S'. After some time with it the major objection is keeping the loupe on the camera. Not wanting to mess up the camera I'm using 2 rubber bands to hold the loupe in place. It works but is messy if I want to remove it when using the viewfinder.

If you are far sighted then you will need a diopter. Some object to the 3X power because you can see screen pixels. Because the diopter will move when the eye cup is moved it goes out of focus frequently (at least for me). By focusing the diopter on the pixels with the lens cover on I know it is focused.

I use autofocus to get the first focus "hit" as sometimes I can't seem to focus at all even with the loupe. I'm hoping that something better comes down the pike as this setup is somewhat kludegy.

What I'd really like is a real view finder!

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 08, 2010 23:29 as a reply to  @ bobland's post |  #7

Pricey as it seems, the Hoodcrane (if you already have the Hoodloupe and 3x eyepiece) is a good way to go. I held off mainly because it looked "klunky" to me, but I finally got tired of the rubber band approach and ordered it for use on my T2i. I just finished "living with it" for 2 weeks on a video project for competition and have adapted very well to it. On or off in seconds and can be ajusted to other cameras quite easily.

Hoodman sells a "Pro Cinema Kit" for $209 that includes Hoodloupe, 3x eyepiece, and Hoodcrane for a bit less than I paid "piecemeal". I also have a CAVISION viewfinder (6x eyepiece) with mounting system and "swingaway" adapter that stays primarily with my 7D as it is not as quickly adjusted for other cameras.

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 31, 2010 17:07 |  #8

Ok, figured I would update this now that I have the "China" viewfinder. I don't have much experience with these things, as this is the first one I have ever used... but as it sits right now I am extremely happy with my purchase!

This thing is excellent quality for the price, has a perfectly clear magnifier, the eyecup is a nice quality smooth rubber and the magnet attachments work great at holding it onto my cameras viewfinder. All in all I can't find a single thing to complain about with my cheap China-made LCD viewfinder. All in all it cost me $70 shipped from Poland, they had it to California within a week and it is manufactured by Meike (Chinese company that makes a lot of great quality knock-off camera accessories like battery grips)

Highly recommended on my end.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

deanby7
141 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2010 07:50 as a reply to  @ Kento's post |  #9

I made my own with gaffer tape some bits of plastic card and a loupe I bought for £1.50 (actually three of them 2x 5x and 10x !!) from a market!! I attached it to my 7D via the underside mount and it hinges below the screen. When not in use it hangs below the camera.
I bought a Hoodman 3.0 and the optical quality was awful, so i sent it back!!! Why these things are so expensive I don't know.

50 1.4, Sigma 15-30

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 01, 2010 08:06 |  #10

Im still waiting for mine from Poland. Alot cheaper than the "real" LCDVF.
I got mine for $69.99 which worked out about £40. Cant wait to try it out. :)

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2010 09:05 as a reply to  @ jjmucker's post |  #11

what is the name of the ebay seller you guys are using?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 01, 2010 10:14 |  #12

The Ebay seller is foto-tip

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2010 23:34 |  #13

jjmucker wrote in post #10829614 (external link)
The Ebay seller is foto-tip

Thanks!

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2010 21:30 |  #14

I have the LCDVF and love it. I was considering the Hoodman, but the rubberband thing makes it look cheap. Plus the LCDVF has 200% magnification, while the Hoodman does not. So the LCDVF is great to use for macro as well. I just bought the cheapo Ebay version as well, so I'll do a comparison when it comes in.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2010 22:25 |  #15

ecub wrote in post #10856491 (external link)
I just bought the cheapo Ebay version as well, so I'll do a comparison when it comes in.

:cool: Looking forward to it.

sponsored links

4,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Viewfinder options
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.