Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 Jul 2010 (Friday) 06:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aperture 3 performance

Vroom_fondel
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 23, 2010 06:00 |  #1

Just a quick question to the people owning relatively recent Apple iMacs.

I have a July 2007 2.4GHz (T7700) MBP with 4 Gigs of RAM and the Aperture 3 trial runs horribly. I wouldn't even describe it as running, more of a leisurely geriatric walk with intermittent pauses to regain strength...

How would you describe the performance of said program on your 27 inchers, i5 or i7, especially in regards to the way it behaves once several brushes are applied.

Thanks to anyone sharing their experiences!

That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me, I demand euphoria!
New and improvedGear List and loads of doggie pics (external link)

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,906 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2010 08:31 |  #2

Aperture leverages the gpu extensively (unlike Lightroom) so you're video card is probably a bit antiquated. My MacBook Pro has the 8600/256 in it (probably like yours) and Ap3 runs OK on it, but it's no speed demon with my 5Dii files. My 27" i7 iMac (ATI 4850/512) and i7 hackintosh (NVidia 9800 GTX+/512) render my 5Dii files in real-time for almost all manipulations I do.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Vroom_fondel
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 23, 2010 09:24 |  #3

Tony-S wrote in post #10588725 (external link)
Aperture leverages the gpu extensively (unlike Lightroom) so you're video card is probably a bit antiquated. My MacBook Pro has the 8600/256 in it (probably like yours) and Ap3 runs OK on it, but it's no speed demon with my 5Dii files. My 27" i7 iMac (ATI 4850/512) and i7 hackintosh (NVidia 9800 GTX+/512) render my 5Dii files in real-time for almost all manipulations I do.

I see. We seem to be using the same hardware laptopwise, so may I ask whether you experience the same extreme slowdown whenever more than 4-6 quickbrushes are applied? Because the performance just after starting up is more or less satisfactory, just after some "heavy" editing it really degrades into being unusable.

I begin to suspect, that it might just be an issue with the settings I am using...

That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me, I demand euphoria!

Moppie
15,060 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 23, 2010 18:05 |  #4

The problem is your trying to edit photos from a current generation camera on a several generation old laptop.
In 2007 it would have been pretty bottom end of the performance scale, so trying to edit photos from a camera with much, much larger filed sizes is going to cause problems.

Unfortunately because its a laptop there is nothing you can do to improve it, except replace it with something more current and inline with your camera.
An i5 or i7 based computer would make a huge difference.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Vroom_fondel
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 24, 2010 06:22 |  #5

Moppie wrote in post #10591901 (external link)
The problem is your trying to edit photos from a current generation camera on a several generation old laptop.
In 2007 it would have been pretty bottom end of the performance scale, so trying to edit photos from a camera with much, much larger filed sizes is going to cause problems.

While I am grateful that you took the time to reply I do take issue with the statement, that a T7700, 4 Gig with an 8600/256DDR3 was bottom of the barrel even in 2007! *hugshislaptop*

Hurt feelings aside ;) do you have specific experience with the i5 or i7 iMac regarding Aperture 3, because if it actually "flies" with Aperture 3 there might not be a reason for me to wait for the upcoming update and buy one from the Refurb store. If the performance was "OK-ish" I would definitely wait...

Vroom_fondel
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 24, 2010 07:22 as a reply to  @ Vroom_fondel's post |  #6

Well, as I supsected there was something wrong with my settings. I just did the "completely wipe all caches and Aperture preferences" trick and it worked. Performance is now (as Steve would say) "magically" more in line with my expectations for this kind of hardware.

Thanks everybody for contributing!

sponsored links

1,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aperture 3 performance
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.